Total Commander does not tell the user when errors occur during text searches

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cappy2112

Total Commander does not tell the user when errors occur during text searches

Post by *cappy2112 »

I've had a license for TC on Windows since the mid 90s, on the Windows desktop platform. Many times I would search files for text that I was sure was there, but couldn't find it. I had just assumed that I typed a path or filespec incorrectly.

After having numerous occasions when TC could not find the text I am searching for (text that I can clearly see exists where I am searching), I finally emailed the author. I had even submitted screenshots of the text and location I was searching with TC, as well as screenshots of the text in the files at that location. At last, I had proof that I didn't type a filespec of path incorrectly (at least one time)

The author told me that this can happen if TC failed to open the file in order to search. This is understandable, however, TC needs to report to the user that an error occurred, so the user is not misled into thinking that the text doesn't exist.

Given that we often search through many files at a time (100s or 1000s), it isn't efficient to notify the user of each error as it is happening.
A summary screen of all of the errors found should be displayed after the search has ended.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander does not tell the user when errors occur during text searches

Post by *wanderer »

cappy2112 wrote: 2021-03-30, 23:05 UTCThis is understandable, however, TC needs to report to the user that an error occurred, so the user is not misled into thinking that the text doesn't exist.
Well, it seems like a reasonable request. Perhaps instead of just displaying the files, TC could also have an option to "feed to listbox", as done in other cases.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.