Guide: how to set up TC for a blind user

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Woailizhi

Guide: how to set up TC for a blind user

Post by *Woailizhi »

Hi all,
sorry if such a topic bothers you, but I wantedt o have it on an official TC forum so every new blind user can find all the relevant information.
This simple guide makesi t possible to use TC conveniently with JAWS, Narrator, Zhengdu or any other screenreading software on the market.
I will be writing this guide and updating it periodically, as I am pretty busy these days, but I wanna have a place of my own here ha ha.

1. Registration window
Before describing the registration window I want to say:
Purchase TC!
Purchase TC!
Purchase TC!
Purchase, TC!
With that out of the way, here's the way of dismissing this window.
First, use the "TAB" key to navigate to a button which reads "1". Then, press the down arrow for three times. Your screenreader should announce a number. Just press it on a number row (numpad is taken by the screenreader), and you are free to use the program.
2. Settings
Most of the settings are the same for blind and sighted alike, so I will not describe all of them here unless requested by blind users. Here I will focus on settings which either improve the accessibility of TC or make the operation more like other file managers we used before.
The configuration file of TC is locaked in %appdata%\ghisler folder unless directly changed bby you.
So if you want to change the settings I wanna describe here do the following.
1. Press the RIGHT ARROW while on the main window of TC. Your screenreader should say something among the lines of
ComboBox Text
This means you're in the right place. Now type the following text and press enter
%appdata%\ghisler\wincmd.ini
Brilliantly, now the config file has been opened. Please, try to be nice to it. It doesn't like being damaged.
make a blank line after the [configuration] line, sit back, listen and decide whether you want these options or not. I know you do anyway.
1. StartScreen=0
This option disables a completely useless (for us) splash screen.
2. MinimizeOnClose=7
A great option. When you press ALT+F4, TC is not closed. Its minimized instead. You don't need this setting if you don't use TC instead of explorer.
3. SelectionMarker=*
Replace "*" with anything. Keep in mind though that if its more than one character, it needs to be surrounded with quotes. It cannot be more than 7 characters too.
We need this option because of some unknown reason, TC doesn't read when we focus a selected file on JFW and Narrator. Surprisingly, Zhengdu doesn't have this problem but minority fo people use Zhengdu hence I post about this setting.

To be continued.

With best regards,
Nuno.

With eterenal love to history and China.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guide: how to set up TC for a blind user

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the guide! Maybe you should also put it in the wiki? You can use your forum login there:
https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Then your first option should be
StartupScreen=0

It only has an effect when you havea license.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Woailizhi

Post by *Woailizhi »

I don't know how to operate the wiki and I am afraid to break something.

With best regards,
Nuno.

With eterenal love to history and China.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Woailizhi wrote: 2021-06-21, 14:15 UTC I don't know how to operate the wiki and I am afraid to break something.
You can experiment on special Sanbox pages, see more here: https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/User:White#Sandbox

You can edit the sandbox page itself, or create your new draft article in a Sanbox namespace:
1. Give it a name like
Special:Mypage/My_sandbox/My custom title
or
Sandbox/My custom title

2. Put this name in Wiki's search box, perform a search, and in search results wiki will offer a link with which you can start the editing your new article.

3. You can edit and save it in that Sanbox namespace as long as you need to finish it, and when yoy feel it's ready for publication in main wiki namespace, on your article's draft page use a Wiki feature "Move" (it's near "View history" page tab, could be under "More" menu, or just press Alt+Shift+M). There change the title of your page from e.g. "Sandbox/My custom title" to "My custom title".
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708