Hidden folder AppData is still visible in TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

monstro

Hidden folder AppData is still visible in TC

Post by *monstro »

Hi, by default, TC is not showing hidden folders or files.
Everything works just fine, except c:\Users\MyUsername\AppData folder.
It is marked as "hidden", but for some reason it is visible in TC.
It is not visible in Windows Explorer, it has "hidden" attribute, but still visible in TC:

First screenshot - to display the problem, second screenshot - I turned "Show hidden files" ON, just to show that the folder is indeed hidden.
Image: https://imgur.com/a/jWfynh4

Any ideas why this is happening?
Thanks!
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Hidden folder AppData is still visible in TC

Post by *Gral »

This is new "feature":
HISTORY.TXT
12.02.21 Added: Always show hidden directory "AppData" in c:\Users\<user profile> even with hidden files disabled (32/64)
In my opinion this is rather "misfeature" - break compatibility with "Hidden" atribute - what IS hidden, MUST be hidden!
monstro

Post by *monstro »

Oh! Thanks a lot. I couldn't understand why this was not working. I agree, it is very confusing, not sure why this was done.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I got a lot of complaints from users who could not find the Total Commander settings because this stupid folder was hidden.
In the next version, you will be able to hide it via ignore list.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Sorry, it is not a question of visibility of folder, it is a matter of principle.
Hidden should be hidden, period.
I always have hidden / system files enabled, so i always see this folder and do not want to hide it anyway.
If you really want change something, just make H & S files & folders visible by default, on fresh install.
This way if folder goes invisible this will be user action.
Another way is to add button to change to folder to default button bar.

What next? If some users cannot turn on button bar you make option to always show it, even disabled?
monstro

Post by *monstro »

Gral wrote: 2021-07-07, 10:23 UTC Sorry, it is not a question of visibility of folder, it is a matter of principle.
Hidden should be hidden, period.
Absolutely agree. If a folder is hidden, it should not be visible. It doesn't make much sense to me why from all these folders: 3D Objects, AppData, Application Data, Contacts, Cookies, Desktop, Favorites, Links, Local Settings, My Documents, NetHood, OneDrive, PrintHood, Recent, Saved Games, Searches, SendTo, Start Menu, Templates
that are hidden, only AppData should be visible :? If anyone for some bizarre reason wants to make it visible, he can just unset "hidden" attribute or click an icon on a toolbar to show hidden folders. TC is a great file manager, it doesn't need to be overloaded with confusing features, imho.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-07-07, 10:06 UTC I got a lot of complaints from users who could not find the Total Commander settings because this stupid folder was hidden.
Please don't do this. It's ridiculous. If some people dont know how to click an icon to show hidden folders, it is not a reason to cripple a good software. Please rollback, this "misfeature" makes no sense :shock:
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
You could provide a cm_ command (that is on a button by default) that changes directory to %AppData%\Ghisler. That way, you could tell such people which button to click without the need to show this directory by default.

JFTR: I don't really care about this feature (or misfeature if you want to call it that) because the hidden attribute is kind of useless for me anyway, on any OS. Why hide items that are there in the file-system? Never understood that, and I've always enabled options to show such items.

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2021-07-07, 21:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Please take into account, that not every user of TC is a full blown admin.
Microsoft did some tricks which are not obvious for "normal" users like well documented at "Windows x64: Explorer vs TC: Content of System32 different" (btw. thanks for this).

This prevents normal users to find e.g.:
- their own settings at AppData, hidden by default
- "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" which is not available by a TC-32bit

TC also shows the real directories like "Program Files" or "Users" which are normally not visible, but virtual translated by Microsoft

TC makes all this grateful available, to make it more transparent for "normal" users.
It does not prevent an admin to use it the "Microsoft way" if he/she really wants.
#5767 Personal license
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Note that before an user feels to need to enter to AppData folder, must get very specific TC knowledge - that a GHISLER directory exists inside AppData and contains settings (the same for any windows program settings). On the other hands there is a basic TC knowledge - start search at root of C:, type "AppData" , press "Go to file" voilà!
Also, imagine such a user may accidentaly set HS attributes on ANY file or folder, right?
So maybe ALL files and folders should be visible regardless of attribute?
Futher feature: if this feature is for users who can not search in subdirectories, maybe Branch View should be always enabled?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Maybe instead in the future ad a button like this to the default.bar:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cd %COMMANDER_INI%\..

%COMMANDER_EXE%,25
Open Folder Containing Total Commanders Configuration Files

And hide %APPDATA% again unless viewing of hidden files is selected.

This way the less experienced user can find the configuration files no matter where they might be installed.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Gral wrote:So maybe ALL files and folders should be visible regardless of attribute?
Most of the hidden files and folders are well hidden because there is no content of normal use.
This is not valid for AppData IMHO.
Sure, a user can do many actions by mistake with administrative rights (e.g. delete not hidden Windows directory), but AppData is the general settings folder of his own account and should be available by default.
#5767 Personal license
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I agree with petermad on this. If the reason for this feature is that TC users cannot find TC configuration files, then that's what TC needs to help with. And adding a button bar item or a menu item opening the correct folder is a good way to accomplish it.
Also, if a user doesn't know that folders can be hidden and how to see them, he should definitely not mess with AppData's content. It doesn't contain user files, it contains internal application files. It's one of those "if you don't know what it is, it's not meant for you" situations.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
oOoZEUSoOo

Post by *oOoZEUSoOo »

Hi,
Hide %APPDATA% again unless viewing of hidden files is selected.
So am I, I agree with all users who think that a hidden folder should stay hidden according to the ckeck box to see hidden files in the configuration.

Best regards, Frederic.
Registered User. Total Commander : The best file manager...
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

My 2 cents. I also encountered the same issue. If a folder has the Hidden attribute set, it MUST be hidden if show hidden files option is off in TC. At least, by default. For those who still wants to see it, there should be an exclusion option.