Out of curiosity... (to moderators)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Out of curiosity... (to moderators)

Post by *Dalai »

I had hoped there was something ready to use, directly integrated into the moderation process, but also provides some interface for restoration of posts. Judging from your post I guess that's not the case. Maybe the situation has changed since January 2020?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, in standard PHPBB you can only delete posts one by one, which is very frustrating when a spammer creates 100s of posts. That's why I added the ban hammer extension, which allows to delete all posts of a user and delete his account. But this is very powerful, so moderators have to be very careful with it. Banning someone just because he/she posts an external link is not appropriate.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-07-22, 09:26 UTC No, in standard PHPBB you can only delete posts one by one, which is very frustrating when a spammer creates 100s of posts.
That is not correct. After clicking the Administer User link when viewing the profile of the user, you can delete the user and select either to delete all posts or retain them. It is part of the ACP (Administration Control Panel), so moderators might have no access to it. Bust administrator(s) certainly do.

Some anti-spam suggestions (might already be implemented):
  • Install the StopForumSpam extension. That enables to stop users from registering and posting based on IP-address and/or e-mail address. That will eliminate *a lot* of 'professional' spammers.
  • Create a "Moderator-only" subforum where cases can be discussed when not 100% certain. That would have prevented this current issue.
    Also useful for "Not sure about this user; keep an eye out for his activity" reports. Or simply to tell the other moderators that you are AFK the next 3 weeks.
  • Add moderators from a different timezone. When I log in at 05:00, I see a lot of spam. When there are also moderators from - let's say - China and USA, those people are awake and spam will be deleted sooner.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

NotNull,
Create a "Moderator-only" subforum where cases can be discussed when not 100% certain. That would have prevented this current issue.
Actually, it did not.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

Hacker wrote: 2021-07-22, 22:21 UTC Actually, it did not.
That is a serious problem. Moderators can't be 'radical'.
The good news -if I subtitled correctly - is that there is a 'moderator only' subforum. Updated guidelines/ policies might help.

(Yep, I'm a positive guy :))
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *matixx »

2ghisler:
The way the moderators deal with the users has a lasting impact on user behavior. A ban should be the last resort of choice.
It is best to deal openly with missteps and, for example, block a user for a few days and write the reason for the block in his profile so that every user can see what it was about. This creates an educational effect, after all, the ban cannot be the solution.
If he behaves conspicuously several times, despite the previous ban, he can still be banned for good.
In the present case, banning the user because of non related posts is not understandable for anyone. The administration's credibility then naturally suffers as a result.
See the user's mail that was posted here.