English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Out of curiosity... (to moderators)

Post by *petermad »

To the Moderators:
Why was the user Sabina_16bit. recently removed from the forum?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Out of curiosity... (to moderators)

Post by *Dalai »

Good question. I'm wondering if the user deleted his/her own messages (and account) or if a moderator/administrator did. In both cases I'm wondering why.

Here's the user profile: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=511406

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp would be the moderator to ask.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Registered on the 18.7.21 and banned for some non TC related posting.
What is so special with this account ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

I on my own found nothing bad with that posts on a quick view, but I didn't spend that much time to investigate either, as I saw nothing wrong.

umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

My RSS reader fetched two normal posts and one maybe a bit suspicious. But I did not think too much about it when the posts disappeared. It was just weird, so I noticed it, too.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I didn't see any non-TC related posting. Was it the suggestion about LCARS theme for TC? Sure, it may be an unusual suggestion, but come on. Even if it was something else or completely OT, why delete the other TC-related posts and ban/delete the whole account? Banning repeat offenders, sure. But as it stands now, it's a bit too much in my opinion.

Deleting the OP from this topic resulted in myself being the thread's OP which is not true and might not be obvious to other readers at first glance.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't know Sabina_16bit. personally, but I received an e-mail from Sabina_16bit., obviously because I had answered to some of Sabina_16bit.'s posts. From the e-mail it is obvious, that Sabina_16bit. is surprised by the ban, and think that it could a gender issue, that's is the ground for the ban.

Here is the part of the e-mail where Sabina_16bit. ponders on that (quoted with the permission of Sabina_16bit.):
e-mail wrote:Greetings,i wish to thank U for sharing Your database & helping me with my history-research of Windows & Total Commander.
If U found somewhere versions below 1.12,i would appreciate a link.
On the other hand,may i ask U,is there another misogynous admin on TC Forum,or Mr.Ghisler himself is a misogynist,who deleted me for my gender obviously,as i had only positive posts(all deleted) & i got no explanation for deleting me.
Have U another suggestions,y i was deleted?
Otherwise i will continue believe,it was because of gender,as i also did not c any other female-nicks there,so another misogynous forum?
On some IT forums when i re-registered under gender-neutral nick,i was not deleted again even for years,but with female id i am deleted immediately from most of IT forums.
The question is,is Christian Ghisler a misogynist himself(do he deleting female forum members,who not hiding their gender) or another admin(i noticed some Czechs there & they r famous for misogynous behavior)?
This is important to know for me,because i cannot continue recommending Total Commander,if the author r misogynist.
In that case i even thinking about switch to FreeCommander or something else as for main file manager.
I also thank U for communicating with me without discrimination on the forum be4 a misogynist admin deleted me & thank U for useful links.
I can hardly believe that gender it is the reason for the ban, but when a member is banned without any explanation to neither the banned person, nor to the rest of the forum, I can understand that all kind of possible reasons can come to mind for the banned person.

Although I found Sabina_16bit.'s posts a little fresh-forward, I did not see them as non-TC related or as obvious spam, and it appear as if I am not the only one who think like this. Of course there could have been improper posts in the non-English subforums, which I usaully don't read - if that was the case please enlighten me.

I hope in the future, that a warning will be given before banning members, unless it is one of those obvious spammers, that write a lot of more or less identical posts in different subforums, all advertising for totally unrelated products/sites.

2ghisler(Author)
Now we are at moderation - these pages: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=4 and https://www.ghisler.ch/board/memberlist.php?mode=team&sid=db6bae7b4c948953d7bac022677858a8 seem to need to be updated, some of the mentioned moderators haven't been active for years, and apparently others are not mentioned.
Last edited by petermad on 2021-07-20, 00:36 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
Seems you posted the same link by accident.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Hacker
Seems you posted the same link by accident.
Thanks! - I have edited my previous post now.
License #524 (1994)
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", or in this case "never attribute to misogyny that which is adequately explained by a mistake".

I don't like when someone cries wolf, especially about such serious issues and without providing any relevant example. Maybe the full email contained it, but the posted excerpt does not. I follow only the English forums, but I don't remember any misogynistic comments - either the forum members behave or the admins do their job.

Until now, I believed this was a case of a simple mistake or misunderstanding. One of the posts looked similar to a spam. When deleting spam, sometimes I delete a relevant email by accident, too. It happens.
Also, she wrote that she did not get an explanation why her account was deleted. Did she ask for the explanation? Because if the account was deleted because it was suspected to be a spambot, I would not expect sending any messages to such account automatically.

If anyone feels they are not treated fairly by admins in this forum, I would suggest contacting the Ghisler first.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately it's not the first time that Horst.Epp has wrongly banned a user, the same happended to user Nonny who complained(!) about a spammer. He was then banned together with that spammer. :(

Maybe I should disable the extension ban hammer? It seems to be too powerful for some. Even I may accidentally delete a user with all his posts. When the last accident happened, I suggested in the ban hammer forum to add an option to restore deleded posts:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/ban_hammer_2/support/topic/213481

Unfortunately nothing happened since then.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

It's not about BanHammer, it is more about being calm and prudent on doing your "work". As with any other weapon.
For example it would have been better to not delete all posts but modify the first post in "Dalai"-thread if that were spam to keep the whole thread intact.
Me think Horst.Epp should just not assume spam if it is not 100% clear, maybe watch the user for some weeks to see if the posts become modification.
Maybe another "old" member with a few thousand posts want to take over if such things happen more often?

Ah, and BTW, welcome to the community 2Sabina_16bit :wink:

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

umbra wrote: 2021-07-20, 06:48 UTCAlso, she wrote that she did not get an explanation why her account was deleted. Did she ask for the explanation? Because if the account was deleted because it was suspected to be a spambot, I would not expect sending any messages to such account automatically.
No need to send any messages. phpBB forums such as this allow moderators to add a reason when banning/locking an account. The reason is shown to this specific user when he/she tries to logon again. At least that's how it works in WSUS Offline forum which is phpBB as well (but likely an older version). But if a moderator doesn't make use of that feature, well...

2Ghisler:
Is it possible (e.g. via an extension/plugin) to automatically create a backup of a user's post before it's actually deleted? This "safety net" would allow to restore a post. Such backups should be held for some time (e.g. 7 days) and be automatically deleted afterwards to avoid blowing up the database or something.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Dalai
That's exactly what I suggested in the ban hammer forum thread, see my post above. Unfortunately ban hammer doesn't seem to be actively developed any more. It would also be difficult to relalize. Some user suggested to move the posts to a hidden forum instead of deleting them - while this would work, it would be very difficult to restore them, especially if they had replies and/or there were a lot of posts.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com