Multi-Rename from new name list in a file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

OUrm7Vo2

Multi-Rename from new name list in a file

Post by *OUrm7Vo2 »

I would like to rename a selection of files based on a list of the new names contained in a file. The new names list file would be selected in one pane and the files to be renamed selected in the other pane.

Or perhaps there is a way to do this currently?

I'm thinking about writing a script to do this because I need this functionality frequently and I am currently doing it manually.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Multi-Rename from new name list in a file

Post by *Dalai »

Select the files to rename, open MRT (Ctrl+M) and click the button below the button with the question mark on it. In the menu that pops up select "Load files from file..." and select your file. Note that the number of lines in that file needs to be the same as the files to rename (otherwise TC will complain about the mismatch). See also TC's help on this topic by pressing F1 in the MRT.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
OUrm7Vo2

Re: Multi-Rename from new name list in a file

Post by *OUrm7Vo2 »

Thank you Dalai for contributing the solution. Mea Culpa - I thought that my request was beyond the capabilities of a file manager so I didn't spend enough time trying to find a solution myself.