Additional lines in directory history sections with #[number] at the end (wincmd.ini). What for?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eliio

Additional lines in directory history sections with #[number] at the end (wincmd.ini). What for?

Post by *eliio »

I've found that directory history sections in wincmd.ini ([LeftHistory], [RightHistory]) have additional lines with #[number] and file (folder) name after it, e.g.:

Code: Select all

13=d:\@Work\Program Settings\Total Commander\	#02,totalcmd
Probably the last part is a cursor position.
What are they for and is it possible to use them somehow?
TC 9.51 32-bit on Win 10 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Additional lines in directory history sections with #[number] at the end (wincmd.ini). What for?

Post by *Usher »

Yes, it's a cursor position. This feature was added in TC 9.20 b5, see history.txt:
history.txt wrote: 27.05.18 Added: When going to the root of a drive or share, e.g. via Ctrl+<
or "\" button, place cursor on the directory which was part of the path,
e.g. go to root from c:\Windows\System32 -> put cursor on "Windows" (32/64)
That way you can go back exactly to the same place when you were earlier. You don't need to remember the whole directory/file name and you don't have to search for needed entry on the very long lists.
WARNING: It's "Tab" character before #. Some editors may replace tabs with spaces when saving the file and break it.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
eliio

Re: Additional lines in directory history sections with #[number] at the end (wincmd.ini). What for?

Post by *eliio »

Got it, thank you. It's for Go Back (Forward) commands (Alt + Left (Right)), right? When I go back (forward) this way the cursor is placed on the exact file (folder) when I was in that folder. Nice, didn't use it before, but now I will :)
TC 9.51 32-bit on Win 10 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2eliio
Correct. It's even more universal - it works also when you use [..] to go up-dir or press (Shift)+Alt+Down to select directory from history.

I listed only one possible way of use which I quickly found in HISTORY.INI just to show that it was long time ago.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator