TC 9.50 pointer issue: Invalid pointer operation (Win XP)

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

michellondon

Re: TC 9.50 pointer issue: Invalid pointer operation (Win XP)

Post by *michellondon »

2ghisler(Author)
No. All the options are in blank
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Does any of the tools you use show user interface elements directly in Total Commander? I ask because in your stack trace I only see functions handling the Windows messages, and then a call to something outside of TC. This usually happens when there are controls shown inside the TC window which do not belong to TC itself, and there is a crash in one of them.

Also how does this "f.lux" tool do the dimming? It's possible that it injects a DLL in each app and then modifies the drawing. This could also cause the reported crash. Could you try whether you get this crash without f.lux, please? You may need to reboot if the error still occurs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
michellondon

Post by *michellondon »

2ghisler(Author)
I have no add-ons in my registered version of TC 9.51 RC4. The directory where TC is installed has only the files of TC plus wincmd.key and wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini which are created by TC or copied by me.
There is no dll from f.lux in TC directory.
Just in case you want a quick look: https://justgetflux.com/
and https://justgetflux.com/news/pages/v4/readme/?v=4.114
Sorry I forgot to tell I closed Glary Utilities and repeated all steps and nothing happened. TC worked as it should!
Now I´ll try to close f.lux and repeat the steps you suggested!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you get the error again without Glary Utilities and without f.lux?
michellondon

Post by *michellondon »

2ghisler(Author)
No, I did not get the error. I´ve tested (repeating my actions) with TC 9.51 RC4 - 5 and today with RC6. I´ve re-installed Glary Utilities and f.lux but I don´t use both programs together and everything is going all right by the time of this note. I´ve also observed that in the choices to disable f.lux sometimes there is the option to disable the program when one is using Total Commander. As I am using the updated version of TC 9.51 RC6 I´ll test it thoroughly. For the time being it works fine!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice to hear that! It could by caused by f.lux dark room mode it it subclasses the TC windows to do this - this might interfere with the subclassing I do myself for dark mode.
michellondon

Post by *michellondon »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, I came to think the same although I do not have the technical knowledge to explain it as simply as you did. I think that with respect to this topic, it has already been quite well illustrated, so I think that the issue should be closed. But just in case I will be attentive. Thank you very much for worrying about this matter. :D :D :D
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

For test purposes, I have installed both Glary Utilities and f.lux, but didn't get any crashes, neither in normal nor in dark mode. Maybe it only happens under certain conditions, or these tools are not what causes your problems...
michellondon

Post by *michellondon »

2ghisler(Author)
I am sorry I did not answer before, but since in Argentina we are in strict quarantine because of COVID-19, I have had to restructure all my activities and see how I can do everything I can by doing it in a healthy way. Well now to our research: I also reinstalled GlaryUtilities and f.lux and I had no problems except for the slow reading of those directories where I have saved soundtrack movies in mp3 and flac and photographs and captures in addition to the databases in the ones that I am trying to know what I have. When I noticed this slowness issue I paid attention to what I had enabled or disabled in Configuration, Options, Operation and disabled "Everything" thinking that file indexing was the cause of Total Commander slowness and Voila! everything started to work better and much faster, at this moment I have the latest version installed (TC 9.51 final). :D :D :D
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your reply - we are also in partial lockdown here in Switzerland. I wish you good health!

Regarding Everything, (un)checking it in Configuration - Options - Operation should not have any speed impact at all. It is only used for directory size calculation with Spacebar or Alt+Shift+Enter, not for normal browsing.
michellondon

Post by *michellondon »

2ghisler(author)
Thank you for the news at this time that we must take care of each other without any kind of division, fragmentation or selfish personal beliefs. You can't imagine how Total Commander helps me in my daily computer work and my humble communication with the world. Cheers and Health to all !!! Ah !!! and before I forget I'm going to re-enable "Everything" !!! :D :D :D