Suggestion: Copy/move queue line selection and operation

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Helix751

Suggestion: Copy/move queue line selection and operation

Post by *Helix751 »

Hi there. The file/copy queue is a great tool (copy/Move > F2 Queue) is a great tool, but I find it non-consistent with TCmd main program:
  1. Individual lines are not selected like files in TCmd main app. That is, right-clicking to highlight and left-clicking to select. In fact, it works like if Ctrl was always pressed, selecting lines on every left-click, which is counter-intuitive. The list of operations could follow the 'Operation>Mouse selection mode' section in Preferences.
  2. When there are several lines queued, there's no easy way to know (apart from carefully scrolling up&down) if more than the current lines has already been selected and may lead to accidentally deleting non viewable operations.
  3. The option to move up (promote) or down (demote) copy/move operations without having to delete and re-add the others to allow re-queuing them would be very useful (either by clicking on 'up'/'down' arrows or simply by dragging selected line or highlighted oprations.)
Thanks in advance
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Suggestion: Copy/move queue line selection and operation

Post by *Dalai »

I'm not sure but I think the selection method in BTM (suggestion #1) is done this way on purpose. The reason being that selected items can be deleted or moved easier. Regarding the order of items in the queue (suggestion #3): Reordering is already possible when the BTM is paused by simply dragging the items around (like in a couple of other places in TC, e.g. when editing its start menu, or partly in FTP connections (Ctrl+F)).

Well, and about your point #2: It's the same in TC main window. If you don't see everyting, you don't know if some item outside of the current viewable area is selected. Although the statusbar in TC's main window might help there. Making the BTM window larger should help in most cases.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

Thanks for pointing out that queued items can be moved up/down while in Pause (wasn't really obvious after years of use. Anyway, thanks for this.

I still believe row selection could be more consistent with TCmd main program operation, though.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Helix751 wrote: 2020-04-23, 00:54 UTCI still believe row selection could be more consistent with TCmd main program operation, though.
Well, the TC main window is the only place where the selection (of file-system items) can be made via right mouse button. In every other window the selection is made like in a standard Windows dialog, i.e. left mouse button. This includes: list of Lister/Content/File-system plugins (Options > Plugins), the list of plugin fields in TC9, the FTP connection list (Ctrl+F), the editing of TC start menu items (Start > Change Start Menu), and so on; OK, I admit that only some of them allow multi-select. Do you want to change the selection mode in every one of these dialogs? I doubt it. Then why change it in the BTM window? Keep in mind that the TC main window is about files/directories, not operations like the BTM.

PS: Apart from that I doubt it's possible because the BTM is a standard Windows dialog, not a VCL dialog the most of the other TC windows. Meaning that the behavior probably can't be influenced in an easy way, if at all.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

I just point out that way the selection works in BTM is somehow weird and non-consistent with other TCmd dialogues (MRT, for instance) and also Windows. A Shift/Ctrl-click like in every windows dialog would be more consistent and easier to operate (avoiding errors on deleting more than the focused item, for instance). No need to right-click to select like in the main window.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Helix751 wrote: 2020-04-23, 22:35 UTC I just point out that way the selection works in BTM is somehow weird and non-consistent with other TCmd dialogues (MRT, for instance) and also Windows. A Shift/Ctrl-click like in every windows dialog would be more consistent and easier to operate
Agreed. But as I said in my first post in this thread: I guess it's on purpose. And, also keep in mind that changing it after all these years might make people complain because they rely on the current behavior.

Would be good if Ghisler could tell us if it's indeed by design and if he's willing and able to change it.
No need to right-click to select like in the main window.
Well, you suggested exactly that in your OP, which caused me to question the suggestion (almost entirely)..

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
Would be good if Ghisler could tell us if it's indeed by design and if he's willing and able to change it.
It's by design and able certainly.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Hacker
Do you have a link to a post where he explained the reasoning behind it? Just curious if I'm right with my assumption that it makes selection easier (but obviously more prone to errors for some people).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
Nope, just my memory.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it's indeed by design.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com