TC 9.51 Annoying Issue When Switching Screen Resolution

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mwrhodes

TC 9.51 Annoying Issue When Switching Screen Resolution

Post by *mwrhodes »

First, love this program. Been running it since forever.

So the issue I'm having is in Windows 10 when I run an old game in a different resolution from what I run Windows. I have been playing Wizardry 8 lately in 1280 X 1024 but my Win 10 normally runs in 3840 X 2160. When I switch back to the higher resolution, I find that TC has shrunk itself and moved itself to the upper left quadrant of the screen. It seems to have been trying to make itself viewable in the lower resolution environment, but it had no reason to do that because I never used TC in the low resolution, just Wizardry 8 in full screen mode. None of the other Windows apps that I run regularly behave like this. Each time I switch resolutions I have to manually re-adjust TC to make it usable again in the normal Windows resolution. It isn't hard to do that, but it is annoying to have to do it every time I switch over to the game.

Is there a way to get TC to NOT adjust to the screen resolution change, like every other Windows app I run?

Thanks for listening, and thanks for this program!
Hacker

Re: TC 9.51 Annoying Issue When Switching Screen Resolution

Post by *Hacker »

Well, I confirm this, but TC isn't the only program doing this, I have experienced others to do it as well.
Of course I also would prefer if TC kept its size in this case.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

This behavior is annoying, but it's present also in older Windows versions: Explorer always resizes all larger windows down to the current smaller screen resolution, but never resizes them up back to the original size.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2mwrhodes
A workaround:
If you always only use TC in one resolution (3840 X 2160) put this in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

ResolutionSpecific=0
You might have to readjust your window settings once, but after that they should stay the same.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You should not use ResolutionSpecific=0 here. Instead, try saving the position of the TC window via menu Configuration - Save position. TC 9.5x should try to restore its size and position when the system switches to a resolution for which you have saved the position.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mwrhodes

Post by *mwrhodes »

The Save Position suggestion works if TC is not running when I switch screen resolutions. However, if TC is running when I switch resolutions then TC still changes its size and screen position. Stopping and re-starting TC then corrects it back to the saved size and position. Since TC is so useful and uses so few resources, I tend to keep it running almost all of the time.

The ResolutionSpecific=0 suggestion works even when TC is running when the resolution change occurs. Since I tend to run TC practically all of the time and I normally never change the Windows base resolution, except temporarily to play old games, that solution seems to work well for me.

Thanks for the replies and good suggestions!

Marty