No warning/information about long path when copying empty folder

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

No warning/information about long path when copying empty folder

Post by *elgonzo »

When copying (F5) an empty directory with a relatively long name (for instance, 250 characters) into another directory so that the full path of the copied directory constitutes a long path, TC fails to warn/inform about the copied folder having a long path ("the target path is more than 259 characters").

Moving (F6) the same empty directory into the same target directory instead of copying it will give the expected warning/information about the long path.

Tested and observed in TC 9.51 32-bit and 64-bit with fresh INI file, running on Win7 x64 Pro
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No warning/information about long path when copying empty folder

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It seems that there is a warning only when moving the folder within the same drive.

The reason is that moving the folder within the same drive is like renaming - all the folder contents will be moved too. Moving the folder between drives is like copying and then deleting. I didn't want to overload the user with directory too long warnings when copying, so I prefer to keep it as it is for now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Re: No warning/information about long path when copying empty folder

Post by *elgonzo »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-02-15, 09:11 UTC It seems that there is a warning only when moving the folder within the same drive.
It seems you are correct. When observing the issue, i was moving the folder within the same drive. I just tested now with moving the folder to another drive, and there is no long-path warning either.

In either case, i myself am not too bothered about the long-path warning showing up in one case but not showing up in other cases. It's a bit unfortunate with regard to UX consistency, but it's also not really something that would have some adverse impact either. Move it to the "won't change" bin then... :)
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...