Word docx opens as an archive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bholm

Word docx opens as an archive

Post by *bholm »

Word files with docx extensions opens as archive file.
Same problem that was fixed in 8.52.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Word docx opens as an archive

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome.

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2012-06-25, 13:17 UTC TC opens ZIP files with extensions other than .ZIP as archives if there is no association found for that file type.
Please start Regedit.exe and check the contents of:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx

if the default value is e.g. "xlsx_file_type", you also need to check the contents of
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xlsx_file_type

Another solution would be to define an association just for Total Commander:

1. Choose files - internal assocuations - Add
2. Type the extensions which you want to associate, e.g.
*.xlsx
3. Click on "Confirm"
4. In the line "Open with", click on ">>"
5. Choose the editor (e.g. Excel.exe)

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please use my tool RegistryInfo to gather information about the misbehaving file association, then please post it here:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/win/registryinfo.zip
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bholm

Post by *bholm »

Change file association manually in TC did work. Now docx files opens in MS Word. But its a strange behavior in TC for a file that works fine in Windows File Explorer.
bholm

Post by *bholm »

Sorry, the result from registryinfo is to big. To many characters.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

bholm wrote: 2021-07-19, 10:04 UTC Change file association manually in TC did work. Now docx files opens in MS Word. But its a strange behavior in TC for a file that works fine in Windows File Explorer.
Nothing strange here.
Docx files are archives and so TC can open them as such.
Word of course opens just the content.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, the result from registryinfo is to big. To many characters.
Please send the info by e-mail to support at ghisler dot com. Thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

In TC 10.52 RC3, I have added code to prevent that from happening when there is at least one entry in the "open with" list.
If anyone still has this problem, please let me know.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Hello,

Recently, I'm experiencing the same, but for .epub files, which are also zip files with a different extension.
I've made an internal association to use (portable) sumatrapdf to open these, but it seems the archive function takes precedence.
Also tried to rule out issues with predefined set of filetypes (all extensions supported by SumatraPDF) by creating a direct internal association to epub. That doesn't change anything. As a workaround I can use shift-enter to run the association, but I'd prefer just enter or mouseclick.

Noteworthy: I do not have a Windows Overall association for .epub extension, I use portable versions for nearly everything.

Edit post: the Open with Menu item is therefore not populated.

I'm already using TC 10.52RC3, on Windows 10 Pro 21H2.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, internal associations take precedence. Maybe you defined the assoiciation for .epub instead of for *.epub?
EricB

Post by *EricB »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-18, 12:39 UTC No, internal associations take precedence. Maybe you defined the assoiciation for .epub instead of for *.epub?
Checked that, and it is defined as *.epub
Also the previous association for all Sumatra supported files (predefined selection type) seems to be correct:
*.PDF *.XPS *.DjVu *.CHM *.CBZ *.CBR *.EPUB *.OXPS *.MOBI *.AZW *.AZW3
When defining the direct *.epub association, I removed epub extension from the All Sumatra Supported types, to make sure the problem has nothing to do with the predefined selection type feature.

But, seeing that list it reminded me that *.chm is also associated with Sumatra, and testing that, that one opens correctly on enter/mouseclick. CHMDir plugin is installed, so ctrl-pagedown will open it as archive dir. So here the association correctly takes precedence.

Anything else I can check?

Regards, EricB
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2EricB
Anything else I can check?
Make sure you have not accidently clicked on the * in *.epub in the Internal associations list - that will change it to: -.epub and disable it - but one can easily overlook that it says -.epub and not *.epub
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
EricB

Post by *EricB »

petermad wrote: 2022-10-18, 14:16 UTC Make sure you have not accidently clicked on the * in *.epub in the Internal associations list - that will change it to: -.epub and disable it - but one can easily overlook that it says -.epub and not *.epub
Double checked, but it is really *.epub. Tested by choosing a different icon from the sumatrapdf.exe (it has several) in the internal association. This is immediately effective. Also tested by indeed disabling by defining it as -.epub. This is also immediately effective, showing the epub files with the standard archive icon. And that lead to the following....

I had been experimenting with archives a bit and the epub extension was associated with Total7zip.wcx; probably to use Find Files icm Search in Archives checkbox for epubs. When removing that wcx association the internal file association is working again as expected!

@Ghisler: it is normal that a wcx packer extension takes precedence over the internal file association? I already observed it does not do so for the CHMDir wcx plugin, but it seems to do this for Total7Zip wcx.

Regards, EricB
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

EricB wrote: 2022-10-18, 15:29 UTC@Ghisler: it is normal that a wcx packer extension takes precedence over the internal file association? I already observed it does not do so for the CHMDir wcx plugin, but it seems to do this for Total7Zip wcx.
Although I'm not Ghisler, I think I can answer this question: It depends on the flags defined for the packer plugin. If the flag sum - the number preceding the packer plugin path in wincmd.ini - contains 256 (2^8), TC will open such files as an archive when pressing Enter, and also the icon will be the default archive icon (unless a different one is defined in internal associations). When the flag is missing from the flag sum, Ctrl+PageDown is required to open a file as an archive.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Thanks @Dalai for pointing this out. You just nudged me into carefully reading the help on this subject.

Help says "256: Don't open with Enter, only with Ctrl+PgDn"; so it is the other way round, but nevertheless it is indeed the reason for the shown behaviour. I made in the past a dirty copy from an existing packer entry, but did not pay attention to the flags. I now reconfigured epub extension with new flags, and I see the "no enter" feature working as desired.

Regards, EricB