can not move/delete *.ARW file (sony raw image)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: can not move/delete *.ARW file (sony raw image)

Post by *petermad »

2loki5100
I Installed the Raw Image Extension
I Started my TC 10.00 x64 uinder Windows 10 21H1 with the wincmd.ini file from your earlier post
I went to the folder with both the DSC06375.ARW and the sony_a7s_iii_01.arw file you have provided
I switched to Thumbnail view - thumbnails for the two images were loaded.
I switched back to Full view
I moved the two image files back and forth between directories on the same partition (c:) several times
I could not reproduce your findings. I encountered no problems.

You never answered if this helps:
petermad wrote:Have you tried to first delete your tcthumbs.db and tcthumbs.idb files and then remove *.arw from the list at "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Thumbnails" -> "Internal thumbnails from images:" ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
loki5100

Post by *loki5100 »

petermad wrote: 2021-07-23, 01:56 UTC Have you tried to first delete your tcthumbs.db and tcthumbs.idb files and then remove *.arw from the list at "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Thumbnails" -> "Internal thumbnails from images:" ?
thanks a lot petermad! I try again this morning and without any reason it's work much better than yesterday :( but still crash time to time!
Look like their is a race condition somewhere. From the last 3 hours I made many combinations and found that this combination ALWAYS produce the bug :

uncheck "Internal thumbnails for images" in TC > configuration > option > thumbnails

* with this unchecked it's always hang when you try to move the file
* with this checked it's "sometime" hang when you try to move the file

Can you try with "Internal thumbnails for images" unchecked ?

Many thanks !! I know that it's painfull to reproduce race condition so very thanks for you help to reproduce this bug to help ghisler to work on it. for what I see it's a race condition that will depend of your processor speed, config, etc.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2loki5100
With "Internal thumbnails for images" unchecked, my TC uses Lister plugin (Imagine of PhotoViewer) to generate the thumbnails - I have no problems moving the file.s

If I also disable "Get from Lister plugins for:" then my TC will use "Use Explorer method (OLE2) for:" to generate the thumbnails - also no problems moving the files.

If I also disable "Use Explorer method (OLE2) for:" - then ny TC should use "Get from Irfan-/Xnview for:", but that does not generate any thumbnail for the *.arw files.

My Windows 10 computer is extremely slow (I only use Windows 10 for testing), so if any race condition is responsible, this computer should certainly show the problem - but yet it doesn't.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
loki5100

Post by *loki5100 »

@petermad, sincerely many thanks for you help ! I don't understand, but this problem seam to be fully random, maybe it's connected to the number of core I have (I have 16 core), maybe to the harddrive (I have ssd), maybe to the planet alignment, I don't know. but as you can see on this video (taken in the virtual machine) : https://youtu.be/H02wgd1BOcc. I try in 2 different hard drives also to be sure. Probleme is real, I not imagine it :( I use TC from 1997 never had any problem, only now when I installed TC 10 :(

I don't know if it's connected to arw file in particular or if it's because .arw files are very big.

Now the question is, how we can investigate it? I spend already around 2 days to try all combinations in TC without any success, sometime I think it's a particular setting because everything work fine after I change it, and few hours later everything crash again.

I m a Delphi developper if it's matter (and not a very bad I thing, I m an embarcadero mvp based in switzerland), So @petermad, @Ghisler or any other If you want to do some test on my system to discover where the problem is I m at your disposal ! Total commander is my #1 loving tools. I can for example make a memory dump of the app when it is frozen if you know how to analyze the dump.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2loki5100
You say it occured when you installed TC 10.00. Could you try with an installation of 9.51 and see if the problem still is absent there?
License #524 (1994)
loki5100

Post by *loki5100 »

@petermad
I will check regarding TC9, need to reinstall it BUT I think I found a way to reproduce it 100%

Can you try inside TC:
* don't forget to install raw image extension from microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab)
* On the arw file, right click on it still you see the menu appearing (do it for both arw file)
* then move the file between 2 folders

When you right click on it, Total commander open many handle to the file and never close it ! I saw it in process explorer from sysinternal. If you do the same in windows explorer, no handle to the file are created.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

loki5100 wrote: 2021-07-23, 22:07 UTC @petermad
I will check regarding TC9, need to reinstall it BUT I think I found a way to reproduce it 100%

Can you try inside TC:
* don't forget to install raw image extension from microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab)
* On the arw file, right click on it still you see the menu appearing (do it for both arw file)

When you right click on it, Total commander open many handle to the file and never close it ! I saw it in process explorer from sysinternal. If you do the same in windows explorer, no handle to the file are created.
I tried this procedure
No problem
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
loki5100

Post by *loki5100 »

@Horst.Epp have you installed the raw image extension ? without this it's will work. it's hard for me to believe because even on a white new windows 10 it's do also the problem, so why on your computer it's working ? We miss something :( maybe you have another codecs than the one from microsoft on your computer to read raw image files ?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

loki5100 wrote: 2021-07-24, 07:17 UTC @Horst.Epp have you installed the raw image extension ? without this it's will work. it's hard for me to believe because even on a white new windows 10 it's do also the problem, so why on your computer it's working ? We miss something :( maybe you have another codecs than the one from microsoft on your computer to read raw image files ?
Yes, I have installed the "Raw image extension" as you can see in the historie of this thread.
Without them my system did not show thumbnails nor showed previews of *.arw files.
With this installed its all fine, I can preview them in Explorer and Everything in addition to TC.
Also thumbnails are shown in Explorer.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2loki5100
Can you try inside TC:
I tried this - still no problems.

But since you have problems after rightclicking the files, you might have a faulty Shell extension for *.arw files installed. Could yo provide a screenshot of you rightclick menu?
License #524 (1994)
oOoZEUSoOo

Post by *oOoZEUSoOo »

2admin

I've made a mistake. Please delete this post. Thanks.
Registered User. Total Commander : The best file manager...
Supa

Post by *Supa »

Hi. Have a similar issue with *.NEF files. Got the Raw Image Extension installed too.

A NEF file is locked when either of these happens:
  • File tooltip is invoked (long mouse over) while the option "Comments from Explorer (OLE2)" is checked.
  • File context menu is invoked regardless the option.
Please see the reproduce videos with self-descriptive filenames.
  1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta7o7438hppyr1g/1-Lock_on_tooltip.mp4?dl=0
  2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4urodv1pv1ys5d4/2-Lock_on_tooltip_many.mp4?dl=0
  3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7okjpuw5g6tpj2t/3-No_lock_on_tooltip.mp4?dl=0
  4. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hwrakk85v1sb23/4-Lock_on_context_menu.mp4?dl=0
  5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq00x3gadmcvsu1/5-No_lock_on_thumbnails_1.mp4?dl=0
It seems there are no problems with my lossy-compressed *.DNG files. It might be because Raw Image Extension does NOT cover that format.

It does NOT seem to be related to thumbnails.

Used software: Total Commander 10.0, Windows 10 Pro 21H1
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It looks like the raw image extension tries to load the tooltip, but doesn't close the file when it fails. Since Total Commander doesn't open the files by itself, it cannot close them either.

Do you still need the extension now that Total Commander 10 will show thumbnails for RAW images directly?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com