Drag & Drop to GIMP broken

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Stv

Drag & Drop to GIMP broken

Post by *Stv »

TC: 10.00 ( though this behavior also appeared in TC 9.55 )
GIMP: 2.10.24 ( a slightly older version does not show this behavior )
=====

Okay, with the above you might be wondering why I'm reporting this here, considering it looks like it would be something GIMP changed.

Thing is, drag&drop from Windows Explorer, Double Commander (installed to test against), Everything (the search tool), FireFox download history dialog, and anything else I've tried so far (but most look like they're leveraging Explorer as the file interface, so not too useful) does work.

I tried looking for a utility (nirsoft / sysinternals) that might expose what information TC is conveying when performing the drag&drop, and compare that to others to see if a key bit of information is missing, but haven't had much luck.

I can try to figure out which GIMP version the change happened in, and see what they changed on their end, if that would be useful... but not something I'd be looking forward to doing :)
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Drag & Drop to GIMP broken

Post by *Stefan2 »

You say
- Drag&Drop from TC to Gimp does not work
- Drag&Drop from WinExplorer to Gimp does work
... right?

OS: Windows 8.1 Home 64bit + TC: 10.00 (bit?) + GIMP: 2.10.24 (bit?)

All applications run with same user account, no "runas..." or different links?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like you are running Total Commander with higher user rights (as administrator). If you run Gimp from it, then drag&drop should work too.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Stv

Post by *Stv »

Stefan2 wrote: 2021-09-07, 07:42 UTC You say
- Drag&Drop from TC to Gimp does not work
- Drag&Drop from WinExplorer to Gimp does work
... right?

OS: Windows 8.1 Home 64bit + TC: 10.00 (bit?) + GIMP: 2.10.24 (bit?)

All applications run with same user account, no "runas..." or different links?
Correct.

TC: 64bit
GIMP: 64bit

TC is normally configured to run as administrator (set up through the program's compatibility tab), GIMP is not. Both TC and GIMP are launched from the task bar. Stating this to tie into ghisler's reply;
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-09-07, 13:58 UTC Sounds like you are running Total Commander with higher user rights (as administrator). If you run Gimp from it, then drag&drop should work too.
The first assertion is correct, but the latter is unfortunately not.

Note that there's been no change in how I launch TC and GIMP. In other words: the fact that TC launched as admin while GIMP did not did not have any effect on it previously.
After your reply,I have tried several combinations.

TC run from task bar without admin privileges
  • GIMP run through task bar
    • without admin privileges: does not work
    • with admin privileges: does not work
  • GIMP run through TC
    • with admin privileges (right-click menu): does not work
TC run from task bar with admin privileges
  • GIMP run through task bar
    • with admin privileges: does not work
  • GIMP run through TC
    • without admin privileges: not applicable (shift+right-click to run as different user spawns it as a separate process)
    • with admin privileges (inherited): does not work
elevated status checked through task manager (Elevated column) and Process Explorer (Integrity column). (sub-)process status checked through Process Explorer.

I'll try to narrow down gimp versions and see when and what they may have changed.
Stv

Post by *Stv »

• 2.10.10 - works
  • 2.10.20 - works
  • 2.10.22 - works
  • 2.10.24 - fails
  • 2.10.24 rev 1 - ?
  • 2.10.24 rev 2 - ?
  • 2.10.24 rev 3 - fails (current release)
  • 2.99.6 commit bf1b405a74 - fails (unstable development version)
( done narrowing down, now to figure out where detailed notes might be )
Stv

Post by *Stv »

Unfortunately the above is about as far as I got.

Nothing stands out at me about any changes in GIMP itself. The drag-and-drop code doesn't appear to have been touched at all. GTK did change between the two versions (.22 and .24) based on the actual binaries differing (libpixmap, libwimp, and libgail.dll), but I'm out of my depth in even trying to find where that may have changed in any way.

I did notice a comment in the drag and drop code (present in both versions' source code):
/* Set a default drag dest if not already done. Explicitly set
* COPY and MOVE for file drag destinations. Some file managers
* such as Konqueror only offer MOVE by default.
*/
But unless there was a related GTK change, that's probably a red herring?

( I would also think that if TC was not presenting the right type of information it would show the drag-and-drop blocked cursor, but who knows )
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-09-07, 13:58 UTC Sounds like you are running Total Commander with higher user rights (as administrator). If you run Gimp from it, then drag&drop should work too.
While second sentence it's true, first it is not.
It's exactly opposite - you CAN drag & drop from program with higher rights to program with lower rights, NOT in the opposite direction.

2 Stv
I've tried all possible combination of privileges of TC & GIMP (versions 2.10.24 rev.3 & 2.99.6) even run TC and/or GIMP as SYSTEM - no problem here! Of course i cannot drag & drop from TC on lower rights than GIMP. All other works as expected.

Windows 10 Pro x64
TC 10.00 x32 & x64
Stv

Post by *Stv »

Gral wrote: 2021-09-08, 14:22 UTC I've tried all possible combination of privileges of TC & GIMP (versions 2.10.24 rev.3 & 2.99.6) even run TC and/or GIMP as SYSTEM - no problem here! Of course i cannot drag & drop from TC on lower rights than GIMP. All other works as expected.

Windows 10 Pro x64
TC 10.00 x32 & x64
Thank you for checking!

I wonder if the Windows version or alternatively the GTK/GDK builds targeting Windows are what make the difference here.

Unless there's some way of determining what information TC gives GIMP and how that differs from another program, or without a closer look from ghisler, I think this is dead in the water; I can stick with 2.10.22 for now, give the GIMP team the heads up that something broke in DND from TC specifically and hope they'll fix / make a suggestion before I have to upgrade GIMP for features/fixes and figure out some workaround, and find myself moving to Windows 10 (or probably 11 now) in due time anyway.