SD card icon is not always show correctly in TC v10 32bit

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jaco777

SD card icon is not always show correctly in TC v10 32bit

Post by *jaco777 »

Windows 7 64bit SP1
Total Commander v10 32bit

On drive letter "B" I have SD Card Reader. In TC v10 32bit, not show correctly icon (like unrecognized file).
When eject SD Card and plug again, then ICON appears like floppy drive (in TC v10 64bit like ICON is like SD Card).

Screenshot https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtFqa34Z7CiaioS7A
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SD card icon is not always show correctly in TC v10 32bit

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the used Windows function uses some kind of caching internally, and sometimes returns invalid icons until you close and re-open Total Commander. There is currently no workaround, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

2ghisler(Author)
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-09-10, 10:06 UTC Unfortunately the used Windows function uses some kind of caching internally, and sometimes returns invalid icons until you close and re-open Total Commander. There is currently no workaround, sorry.
I was going to post a link to a topic where it was discussed,
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49874

But it's possible that what jaco777 described could be something different. He defined an SD Card Reader to a B: drive letter, which is kind of reserved by Windows for floppy drives, and screenshot shows that TC shows "not associated file" icon for it instead of "SD Card" icon.

Also, jaco777 mentions that Total Commander 64-bit shows "SD Card" icon fine, but 32-bit TC doesn't.
Maybe it's possible then to check for differences of 64- and 32-bit TC communication with Windows when they get drive icons?

BTW, can you modify your "Test Shell Icons" tool from this post to check icons on drives with letters others than T:, so it would be possible to check jaco777's case in it?

Also, in mentioned forum topic,
MarcinW wrote: 2018-06-18, 15:41 UTC I performed tests with the tool and it works properly - but only because I'm not, as a human, fast enough to reproduce the problem. But I can easily reproduce the problem with my own, simple test tool. I will describe cause and all the possible solutions in the next post here.
But he never wrote that "next post"... Did he try contact you by email about that possible solution?

2jaco777
Can you also check how Windows Explorer shows that drive's icon?
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
jaco777

Post by *jaco777 »

I copile source code to drive B.

Exe file is here: http://chomikuj.pl/chomik_testowy1/Total+Commander/testiconproblems+B+drive,7812733009.exe(executable) No need login to download - green button with text "Pobierz".

When SD Card is unplug and run test program, then icon show as drive with question mark.
When SD Card is plug and run test program, then icon show as not file not recognized,
- click nothing changes,
- unplug SD CARD and then icon show as drive with question mark,
- plug SD Card and then icon show as not file not recognized.

But:
- when SD Card is unplug and run test program, then icon show as drive with question mark,
- now plug SD Card and stil clicking on icon, then take a moment icon show as not file not recognized and next show icon as floppy drive.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

I just tested this on Vista 32-bit with USB flash stick and MMC Card (in built-in laptop card reader), which doesn't have own custom icon set, to drive B:.

1. Windows Explorer:
* if to open "Computer" after inserting USB stick, it shows "Removable drive" icon.
* if to have "Computer" while inserting USB stick, I see how drive B: appears, and for some time (from less then a second to clearly more than a second) it has "Floppy drive" icon, which is then changed to "Removable drive" icon. And sometimes it can show the "Removable" drive icon, then after a second or so briefly "Floppy drive" icon, then again "Removable drive" icon which then stays while drive is inserted.

2. jaco777's build of Christian Ghisler's of "Test Shell Icons" tool:
it seems it always shows "Removable drive" icon, even if to click there to reload icon while Explorer briefly shows "Floppy drive" icon.

3. Total Commander showed "Removable drive" icon only when USB stick is attached for the first time in TC's session. All next time it is re-attached, TC shows "Floppy drive" icon.

Another test was with MMC card, which has custom icon (though defined not with autorun.inf, but in some other way), and when I changed its letter from V: to B: in the "Disk Management" applet, both then-opened "Computer" in Explorer and "Test Shell Icons" (after a click on icon) detected correct custom drive icon. TC which was running at that time, showed "Floppy drive" icon for it. Then with the same MMC card set initially to different drive letter, R:, after changing it again to B:, only Explorer showed correct card icon, while both TC and "Test Shell Icons" showed "Floppy drive" one. Restart of TC and "Test Shell Icons" made them show correct "SD card" icon.

I didn't see "not associated file" icon for any of drives in any of mentioned programs.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708