Question about built-in editor

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gerry Busch

Question about built-in editor

Post by *Gerry Busch »

I've known for some time that TC Pocket's editor can open several text files in multiple windows. Is there a limit to the number of windows, other than the device's memory? Is there a separate 64 kb limit for each editing window, or is the limit 64 kb for all the windows combined?

The reason I'm asking is that my WM5 device will often lock up and require a soft reset if I toggle between editor windows when editing more than one text file at a time. This will happen regardless of the task switcher that I'm using, and even if TC is the only program running.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The limit is in the edit control belonging to Windows Mobile. I have tried with larger files before adding the limit, and it either didn't display anything at all beyond the 64k limit, or it showed distorted/mixed up text. Unfortunately this edit control bug still exists in the current Windows Mobile versions.

I also tried with the rich text control, but it has other problems like a malfunctioning text search function...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gerry Busch

Re: Question about built-in editor

Post by *Gerry Busch »

Understood, but is that 64k allocated to all windows open in the editor combined, or is there a separate 64k allocation for each open editor window?

On my device I have two freeware text editors that can open multiple windows, and the file sizes are limited only by the device's memory. However, both programs have some irritating bugs in them.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it's a separate 64k per editor.
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

OK, so that means I'm not exceeding any memory limits when I open multiple files in TC's text editor. Whatever locks up my x51v when I switch between them must be unrelated, maybe even device-specific.

Have you tried that on your x51v? You need a task switcher that can show you the open windows, of course.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No I haven't, all I have tried is opening multiple text files which were together larger than 64k (2x 45k and 2x16k) by switching back to TC pocket by simply re-launching it. I could navigate through them without problems.

- What problems did you encounter?
- Can you recommend a task switcher?
t_arn

Post by *t_arn »

Well, I have these lock ups as well on my HTC TyTN (WM5) with v2.50
I cannot reproduce them consistently, though.

I have just installed v2.51 - I hope I'll have no more lock ups.

Tom
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

C. Ghisler wrote:
- What problems did you encounter?
- Can you recommend a task switcher?

The problem is that TC often stops responding altogether if I switch back and forth between the open editor windows a number of times. It isn't consistent enough to determine how many switching operations bring this on, however. I can't terminate TC at that point with the memory applet, nor can I regain control of the device at all until I do a soft reset.

I've used task switchers like Magic Button, the one built into GSPMagic++, Tillanosoft's SmallMenu, etc. Currently I'm using AlenSoft's QuickMenu as both a launcher and task switcher. I like this one the best. SwitcherBar, which is in ROM on this device, works, but I don't care for it.

The icons for each of the multiple editor windows will show up with any of the above task switchers, but so will the glitsch I'm describing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strange, I have never had any lockup of TC pocket so far. When you get this, will all windows including the file manager lock up, or just the editor(s)?
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

C. Ghisler wrote:
"Strange, I have never had any lockup of TC pocket so far. When you get this, will all windows including the file manager lock up, or just the editor(s)?"

All windows, including TC and whatever else may be open. I can't terminate TC at that point, so I need to do that through the memory applet.

Even there, it may take several attempts. If that doesn't work, I invoke soft reset from an icon in my start menu, but sometimes even the start menu won't respond. I then use the soft reset hardware button.

Gerry
DenisArd

Post by *DenisArd »

In WM6 buttons on the toolbar does not appear
i080.radikal.ru/0901/0b/68284e42bd9d.jpg
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cannot confirm, it works fine here on a Palm Treo with WM6 update. What device is that?
DenisArd

Post by *DenisArd »

The reason is found. I use an unofficial firmware for Eten M600. It turned out that there was no file \Windows\stdsm.bmp, containing a standard image for the buttons.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, thanks for letting me know!