Using TC Pocket with different languages

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

brente_de

Using TC Pocket with different languages

Post by *brente_de »

Hi, I installed TC Pocket 2.51 on a "XDA Orbit 2" under WIN Mobile 6.1 with English, German, French and Chinese. The European language packages work flawless, but not the Chinese one. It shows only white squares in the menus. The chinese language had been installed correctly in the TC program folder. I copied a chinese font "MS Ming.ttf" to the Windows folder and changed the fonts to MS Ming. But that did not help.
I had a similar problem with TC for Windows XP, which could be solved by changing the WIN OS language to Chinese. So, I thought that might be a solution. But my PDA does not support Chinese language settings. But I can read and write all text files in Chinese on my PDA, if they had been formatted with MS Ming fonts.

Does anybody have a proposal to solve this Chinese menu problem ?

P.S.
Proposal to Christain Ghisler: Why not unite all TC Pocket language problems under this one theme ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Apparently the font which is used for the menu doesn't contain the Chinese characters. Since TC Pocket doesn't draw the menu by itself, you will have to somehow change the system font for menus. Maybe there are tools out there which can do that, but I'm not aware of any, sorry.

For the file lists (e.g. for Chinese file names) you can set the font in View-About/Settings.
Why not unite all TC Pocket language problems under this one theme ?
Sorry, I prefer one bug report per message. It's much better for the overview.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
brente_de

Post by *brente_de »

Hello Mr. Ghisler,
Until now I could not find a WIN Mobile Add-Up for Chinese language (like I did for WIN XP). But I tested your hint concerning file lists with Chinese names. After changing the fonts settings to MS Ming (which works with several other PDA software), it did NOT show the chinese file names (only white squares). Strange: I also could not format text in MS EXCEL with the Chinese fonts (it shows them in the preview though), but it works without problem in MS WORD.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Apparently it doesn't work on Non-Chinese devices then. I'm using a standard ListView control, and apparently it's not capable of showing Chinese on Western devices.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com