D-Pad center button, double-clicks?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

onree

D-Pad center button, double-clicks?

Post by *onree »

I'm using Total Commander on my Sprint Touch Pro. Unfortunately, whenever I use the D-Pad center button to select an item, Total Commander seems to double-click on the row. For example, it will open the directory that was highlighted, and then it will open the first item in the selected directory as well. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a solution to it? It's very annoying and has me looking for a replacement file manager.
gbusch

Re: D-Pad center button, double-clicks?

Post by *gbusch »

When I use the D-Pad, and I do that extensively in TC Pocket, I expect the center button to activate my selection, because that's what it's supposed to do. It's often called the "action button" for that very reason. If you're browsing through your files by using the up, down, left and right button, doesn't that place the highlight on the item you stop at without pressing the center button? If the item is highlighted, then it's already selected, so why are you pressing the center button?

Also, if you hold that button down for a moment, you'll get a context menu just like tap and hold with the stylus. It's very useful. Try that with GSFinder; it doesn't work!
onree

Post by *onree »

I think you misunderstand. It's not only activating the item, it's activating the NEXT item too. For example, it will open the folder that is highlighted, and then open the first file in that folder too, all with one center button click. If it just opened the first folder that was highlighted, that would be perfect (and what I would expect).
gbusch

Post by *gbusch »

Sorry, I guess I did misunderstand. I've tried to reproduce that behavior on my Axim x51v, but everything is functioning normally. It almost sounds like your action button is sticking and holding the circuit closed, but if you don't have this problem with other programs, then I've no idea what's causing it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't get this problem with any of my devices. What Windows Mobile version does the Touch Pro use? And which version of TC Pocket do you use?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
onree

Post by *onree »

Hello -- thanks for your response. I'm using the CDMA Touch Pro (Sprint version), which runs WM6.1.

The Total Commander Pocket version I'm using is, according to the 'About' screen, v.2.51.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could you try with v 2.52 beta, please?

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=21187
gbusch

Re: D-Pad center button, double-clicks?

Post by *gbusch »

onree, the only way I can reproduce that is by pressing the center button twice in very quick succession.

Do you suppose your device has a repeat behavior on the center button, similar to what you see when you hold one of the arrow keys down a bit too long? If that's the case, perhaps the repeat rate is up too high. It can be adjusted; in WM5, the option is under Settings / Personal / Buttons. Don't know about WM6.
Last edited by gbusch on 2009-03-16, 20:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
onree

Post by *onree »

Okay ... I tried the v2.52b1, and unfortunately the problem still occurs. I also tried setting the repeat delay to the longest possible value, but it didn't seem to make a difference (also, I haven't seen this problem on any other software, regardless of repeat rate).
ji7.cz

Post by *ji7.cz »

it is possible that this problem is caused by the button it self (the hardware) sometimes when the buttons are often used they dont work as they should be and start to generate multiple impulses instead of one (that explains why the only way to replicate this is "pressing the center button twice in very quick succession" like gbusch said).
try the button in some other app where you can see how many times the button was pressed. or try to push the button slowly and very carefully.
siealex

Post by *siealex »

I had the same problem in early builds of Esmertec JBed on Asus P750 - some button worked twice. It is NOT a hardware problem.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
onree

Post by *onree »

Yes, it's definitely not a hardware problem. I use the dpad often in other software and have never seen anything like this.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm in contact with someone working for a device manufacturer (not HTC), and he writes:
My <xyz>, however, has a similar problem that I know is due to the hardware and not the software. For me, Up/Down/Left/Right can act as if I hit it 2 or 3 times sometimes, thereby scrolling past a target in a list. This is one of the fundamental flaws of this line, it's done it with every <xyz> I've had.
So it really could be a hardware problem, so TC is receiving multiple VK_ACTION events. Or maybe it's sending both VK_ACTION followed by VK_RETURN - TC reacts to both.

Btw, does holding down of the action button bring up the context menu?
onree

Post by *onree »

I'm not sure I understand -- if this were a hardware issue like you describe, would I not see it manifest in other software as well? For example, I do not see this kind of behavior in File Explorer or GSFinder+.

Yes, holding down action does bring up the context menu, and I've been using that as a workaround.

Thanks for your ongoing investigation, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you get this problem on every key press, or only sometimes? If you get it every time, you may indeed getting two events (VK_ACTION followed by VK_RETURN) instead of only one.