Associate .txt files with internal text editor

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yuit

Associate .txt files with internal text editor

Post by *yuit »

hey,

I find the internal text editor to be really excellent and would like to associate all my .txt files to it, however it doesn't work. Is there someway to make the default action on text files to be edited by total commander ?
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

I agree. ZIP files are already associated with TC after installation, so that I can open a TC ZIP folder from any other file manager, File Explorer, for example. It would be nice to be able to do that with .txt files and TC's editor, which is great. Search and replace would make it even better.

Gerry
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This isn't currently possible, sorry - but I will add it to my wish list, e.g. when txt files aren't associated with anything, they would be opened with the internal editor.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yuit

Post by *yuit »

also one other (minor) thing that would be nice si if the actual text display were offset by about 2-3 pixels from the left edge of the screen.
yuit

Post by *yuit »

hello,

I was wondering if this made it into the latest version ?
PrinceR

Post by *PrinceR »

I got the same question as yuit.
but it is yet some time further now.
I hope you hae positive news cincerning this question
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, unfortunately not. Currently it's not possible the open the internal text editor via the command line.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
PrinceR

Post by *PrinceR »

ok, thanks for the response,
I'll keep on hoping it'll be possible one time in future releases,

PrinceR
wolis

Post by *wolis »

How about allowing total commander to accespt a command line arg of a text file path and name eg:

cecmd.exe %p%f

Thats what I tried after I tried the 40004 %p%f

PS Total Command ts fantastic! well done.
.___ Creative Object World (cow)
/\__\ creativeobjectworld.com
\/__/ multi-user text-based virtual world
mad_ady

Post by *mad_ady »

Hello everybody!

Since we're talking about file type association, it would be nice if TC could be associated with directories (by double tapping a folder shortcut on the today screen - bring up the folder in TC). If this is already possible, sorry for my post.

Also, i need yor help. I managed to install a program that changed my zipfile association. How do i reassociate it back with TC(without reinstalling)? The default method didn't work...

Thank you and congratulations on a great program!
Spread the madness!
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

mad_ady wrote:Hello everybody!

Since we're talking about file type association, it would be nice if TC could be associated with directories (by double tapping a folder shortcut on the today screen - bring up the folder in TC). If this is already possible, sorry for my post.
It's easily done. For example, here's a command line that opens the \My Documents folder in TC:

"\Program Files\Total Commander\cecmd.exe" "\My Documents"

To make this a shortcut, create a new shortcut to TC. Then highlight the resulting .lnk file in TC and bring up the properties dialogue. On the "Shortcut" tab, add your desired folder name to the end of the command line, making sure to place quotation marks around the folder name, like you see in my example.

BTW, the properties dialogue will also help you reestablish your .zip file association. Just look in the properties of any .zip file, and go to the "Associate" tab. Again, the parameter should be in quotes ("%1").
mad_ady

Post by *mad_ady »

Thank you for your reply Gerry. Links to folders work like a charm! :)
Also, the association to zipfile works now. I had tried the same thing, but without the quotes around %1, but now, as "%1", zipfiles open withing TC.

Thanks!
Spread the madness!
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

mad_ady wrote:... the association to zipfile works now. I had tried the same thing, but without the quotes around %1, but now, as "%1", zipfiles open withing TC.
Zip files on my device are currently associated with a different program, but if I select them with TC, they open in TC anyway, regardless of the other association. On rare occasions I run into an unsupported Zip file. In that case, I either get an error report from TC, or the other program automatically starts up and tries to open it, sometimes successfully.