Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

2 suggestions conserning TC/CE

Post by *Flint »

I have 2 suggestions for Total Commander CE:
1. To add Lister like in TC for PC. Of course, not all features of PC version need to be implemented, the main ones, I think, are: simple viweing plain text with/without wraps, binary view mode and hex-view. The Lister/CE can be an additional external program to not increase TC/CE installation package, so that anyone could choose install Lister or not.
2. To increase the upper limit of file size in internal editor. 64K is awfully little! I have about 80% of text files with size more than 64K, so I cannot quickly edit most of them...
BTW, 64K limit is one of the main reasons I hate Windows Notepad :)

I think, if TC/CE will have more features from TC/PC, it will be much more popular! ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Here are my answers:
1. The problem is that Lister on Windows wraps to a fixed number of characters, which is very fast, but not suitable for Windows CE where the screen width is very limited. Also Windows CE displays are usually not accelerated, so scrolling would be slow too.
2. The editor in TC/CE uses the edit box coming with the operating system, which does have this odd 64k limit (although it's a 32-bit operating system). Creating larger edit fields seems to work at first, but then strange things start to happen like scrolling errors etc. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
I see... That's a pity :(
But anyway thank you for reply.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Gerry Busch

Internal editor

Post by *Gerry Busch »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Here are my answers:
1. The problem is that Lister on Windows wraps to a fixed number of characters, which is very fast, but not suitable for Windows CE where the screen width is very limited. Also Windows CE displays are usually not accelerated, so scrolling would be slow too.
2. The editor in TC/CE uses the edit box coming with the operating system, which does have this odd 64k limit (although it's a 32-bit operating system). Creating larger edit fields seems to work at first, but then strange things start to happen like scrolling errors etc. :(
As a work-around, I've configured the viewer button with Pocket Word as my alternate text editor. I hate using Pocket Word, but I can't find a nice, simple plain-text editor that handles more than 64k. In fact, most of them are limited to about 30k. Nevertheless, here's another suggestion regarding the internal editor: Instead of just having an error message telling the user only 64k are supported, why not provide a prompt with the option to open the file in Word, like Notepad does. Or even better, during configuration, the user could possibly supply TC/CE with a path to an alternate editor, which TC/CE would then use to automatically open files that are larger than 64k.

If all you want to do with the large text file is view it, however, it's sometimes easier to do that in Pocket Internet Explorer, which seems to have no size limits.

Gerry