LAN Network Error 58

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

crypkema

LAN Network Error 58

Post by *crypkema »

I'm trying to connect my PDA to desktop computers on my home LAN. Two of the three desktops connect just fine. If it makes any difference, those two have WinXP Pro. The third desktop computer does not connect. It uses WinXP Home. (All have the latest OS updates.)

I can connect enough to see the shared directories on the third desktop computer. But when I try to open them, I get "Error 58".

When I try to use the "Quick Open" feature, and specify in the UNC address the specific directory, I get "Error 67" and then "Error 0".

Do you have any ideas, suggestions, etc.? This is a puzzle for me, and while I can work around things by transferring files from one PC to another, or simply setting up a ActiveSync guest connection, it should work and doesn't.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chris Rypkema
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Error 58 (ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP) means: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
Error 67 means: the network name was not found.

See: MSDN

It may be a problem with the XP firewall, or the account name used on the other systems for login doesn't exist on the XP Home machine.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
crypkema

Post by *crypkema »

Thank you for the quick reply and the list of error codes. I thought the error codes were Total Commander error codes, not MS.

You bring up something in your comments that I'd like to pursue. "...or the account name used on the other systems for login doesn't exist on the XP Home machine".

I got a logon once for one of the desktop PCs, but haven't since. Is there a way to force the login again? It may be as you say that it's refusing the connection because XP Home hasn't gone through the authentication with the PDA.

BTW, I've checked the firewall and event logs on the XP Home computer and nothing shows. I even turned off the firewall, hoping to eliminate the potential conflict.

Again, thank you for your help. And thank you also for providing the best file manager around for PPCs.

Chris
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, on my Windows CE device I'm asked for user name and password when I try to connect to another PC - the same happens on the CE emulator. Unfortunately I don't know what a real PocketPC device uses for login.

Can you access the share from the Pocket Explorer?
crypkema

Post by *crypkema »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Well, on my Windows CE device I'm asked for user name and password when I try to connect to another PC - the same happens on the CE emulator. Unfortunately I don't know what a real PocketPC device uses for login.

Can you access the share from the Pocket Explorer?
I was asked for a user name when I connected with one of the other desktop PCs to set up the printer. All the desktop PCs have the same user names to facilitate file and printer sharing.

Since the first log on to one of the other desktop PCs, I haven't been asked for a user name again.

I tried using Pocket Explorer and even the trial version of Resco File Explorer and got no further. I can connect to this desktop PC and can see the folders, but can not access those folders.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you run any tweakers/optimizers on these PCs? For example, it's impossible to reach some shares if you turn off alternate DOS names (8.3 names) or disable certain user accounts.
crypkema

Post by *crypkema »

Did you run any tweakers/optimizers on these PCs? For example, it's impossible to reach some shares if you turn off alternate DOS names (8.3 names) or disable certain user accounts.
I've used and installed WinXP PowerToys. The only User Account disabled is the Administrator account. The account I had used to log in once previously was one of the user accounts common to all three desktop computers that has administrator rights.

Could it have anything to do with Certificates on either the desktop PC or PDA?

Thank you for your help.
Chris
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, the connection isn't encrypted or signed, at least to my knowledge. Are you within a domain?

Since this problem also affects the Pocket Explorer, you may better ask this question in a dedicated PocketPC forum (not mentioning Total Commander/CE, just Pocket Explorer) to get better answers. You may also try one of the microsoft.public.* newsgroups.
crypkema

Post by *crypkema »

I'm not in a domain, just a home LAN. I'll take your suggestion and try posting it in one of the other groups. I do want to thank you for your time and desire to want to help.

And also, thank you for providing such a wonderful program. This is one of the programs I really depend on because it works so well.

Chris
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2crypkema
Please inform us here if you get any solution for your problem - it seems to affect also other PocketPC users, so a solution is really badly needed - not only by users of Total Commander Pocket.
magnuso

Post by *magnuso »

Hi there,

I am having a similar problem. I get an error #53 when trying to map a network drive.

The path I use is: "\\10.100.196.95\c$"

This is a path that maps perfectly on any windows machine on my network. However my PPC Dell Axim, does not.
Would be nice if someone had a solution for this...

regards,
magnuso
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is a hidden admin share. Try to connect first to
\\10.100.196.95\Admin$
to get access to these shares. That's at least howit works on a normal PC...
burguetjf

Error 53

Post by *burguetjf »

Have also been looking for a solution to the Error 53 when trying to connect to a shared folder located on a desktop PC on my WIFI network. I can see the shared folder fine from my XP laptop.

Surely this is either a port or a right access situation, no ?

Help ! Thanks !

Jean-Francois

PS: except that hurddle, I find Total Commander to be very fine program. Congratulations !!
ghoshe

Post by *ghoshe »

I don´t know why, but you can't connect to a shared folder using IP, you have to type the netbios name of the system, and the name of de shared folder, i checked it a minute ago:

\\192.168.2.XXX\ <- it won't show anything
\\PORTAKA\ <- it won't show anything
\\192.168.2.XXX\COMARTIR <- Error 53
\\PORTAKA\COMPARTIR <- bingo!

This evening i'll check if shares under Samba works as well.

Xau!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

\\PORTAKA\ <- it won't show anything
This will not work with an XP host, I assume because the system policies do not allow anonymous users to list shares.