Brief comparison of TempPanel, TempDrive (2), LinkDrive

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The plugins aren't meant to ALTER your files but to do file operations that's why editing/viewing doesn't open the original file but some temporary backup.

If you wanna alter the original file you have to save the modifications to the ORIGINAL file manually! If you save the changes to the temporary location and you answer the following question ("file changed, upload back?") with yes you only update the file LINK information with the "new" temporary location, NOT the original file content and of course the new file link disappears from the container after that because the TC temp folder is automatically deleted by TC...

Temporary Panel doesn't continously refresh file information from original location. You have to readd the files you altered to reflect the changes.

Temporary Drive refreshes instantly so you should prefer that plugin when you wanna alter your files.

Icfu
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

But I agree with the previous comment. What I am waiting for is some way to make a single collection of pointers to an artbitrary set of files, and then operate on (whether view or edit or copy) those actual files, not temp copies of those files. Call it a Virtual Folder or call it late for dinner, but it doesn't exist yet in TC.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

But I agree with the previous comment. What I am waiting for is some way to make a single collection of pointers to an artbitrary set of files, and then operate on (whether view or edit or copy) those actual files, not temp copies of those files. Call it a Virtual Folder or call it late for dinner, but it doesn't exist yet in TC.
Yes, I'm waiting for that too! Hopefully this will be the next goodie in TC ;-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!