W32/Induc-A virus infects Delphi sysconst.dcu

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

ouzoWTF wrote:
DrShark wrote:CopyToTabs and Tc_But_Exe TC addons and Mover.wcx are infected too.
Not confirmed with latest avira personal.
Last night, my local Kaspersky 7.0.1.325 with hotfixes c.d.e and using the latest virus definitions files available for 19-Aug-2009, confirmed that the files were infected by W32/Induc-A.

Avira: no, Kasperksy: yes. What does that tell us?
  • Detection of W32/Induc-A may still be unreliable, because some AV producers added detection in a hurry. Being in a hurry and detecting malware reliably do not go together well.
  • There is not the one-and-only AV product which will always be right (cf above)
  • If in doubt get more than one opinion on an executable file
Karl
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Boofo wrote:
DrShark wrote:Uploaded files treated by Kaspersky:
http://www.multiupload.com/24CLO0IRS4
(mover.wcx from link above; CopyToTabs 4.2.6.5 and 5.0; TC_But_Exe)
http://www.multiupload.com/92ZK0UJY67
(CopyToTabs 5.5)
But its still recommend to wait for official updates from plugin & addon authors.
I'm not getting either one of those links to load. All I get is a white page.
Ok, here's rapidshare links:
http://rapidshare.com/files/269175930/TreatedByKav.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/269194029/copytotabs550.zip.html

Detection of ICLRead and ICLView as Virus.Win32.Induc.b added to latest KAV bases, but because these files are packed by UPX, no treatment at least for now - antivirus will ask to delete them.
This week ICLView and ICLRead updates are planned by plugin author.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I'm confused, why are there so many broken AntiVirus programs that flag UPX ?

They could unpack the file, and then do the definition scan... hell, I bet most of the programs could be unpacked solely to memory.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2DrShark,

Thank you for the rapidshare links, sir. ;)

Please let me know when they update ICLRead and ICLView as I can't read Russian.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ouzoWTF wrote:
DrShark wrote:CopyToTabs and Tc_But_Exe TC addons and Mover.wcx are infected too.
Not confirmed with latest avira personal.
I use Avira Premium and it finds it !
Even the news from Avira informes about this virus on some popular magazin CDs. This news is from 18. august.
VDF-File 7.1.5.130 detects it as W32/Induc.A.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Balderstrom wrote:I'm confused, why are there so many broken AntiVirus programs that flag UPX ?
You are misunderstanding what the bottom of the problem is I guess:

The problem is not unpacking UPX compressed files and scanning them. The bottom of the problem is re-compressing the cleaned files into the original packer format, UPX in this case. :wink:

There is hardly any AV software that can successfully unpack more formats than Kaspersky, including UPX, and scan the uncompressed files.
But to the best of my knowledge, no AV product brings along all the packing programmes (DLLs) needed to re-pack a file.
I.E. KAV as most others can uncompress UPX-compressed files and scan them for malware. But it cannot clean them and re-compress them in UPX format. This is why the AV software will suggest to delete infected archives / compressed EXE files.

Cheers,
Karl
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

UPX isn't a DLL, its an openSource GPL 263KB .exe

Though after renaming UPX.exe to UPX2.exe, and unpacking it, the repack was 30+KB bigger.

Though I didn't do, upx --ultra-brute upx2.exe
Just, upx --best upx2.exe

My question, was more along the lines of why would ANY supposed security software carte blanche flag upx compressed files, since it's simple to unpack into a sandbox/test/if clean/continue. It doesn't need to recompress the file if it was clean, since it didn't modify the original to begin with.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Balderstrom.
It doesn't need to recompress the file if it was clean, since it didn't modify the original to begin with.
Well, this is the point, DrShark talked about infected files, not about clean files. :wink:

Karl
Elendacil

Post by *Elendacil »

karlchen wrote: No need to panic, but a good reason
+ to update the AV definition files and do a full system scan
+ to upload any download to Virustotal first in the near future
+ keep in mind that there is not the one-and-only AV product which will always be right
I think in addition to those things, there is much more to be done by programmers. Using AV products to confirm anything is clean is not fully reliable. It's also much better to prevent infections in the first place than to clean them up later, possibly after we have given malicious code to our customers. AVs rarely detect very new viruses. This one shows that very well. According to McAfee it was out for many months, even a year, before AVs started to detect it. http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/index.php/2009/08/19/induc-virus-abuses-delphi-compiler/

Programmers should avoid executing code from untrusted sources on their development systems. Basically almost everyone else is untrusted. It makes sense to also limit the access rights a virus could easily get. For example, do not use the Unix root or WindowsNT admin account to develop software, unless necessary, and don't give standard users write access to system files and other important files like SysConst.pas and SysConst.dcu that this virus infects. If you need to edit those files, you can always elevate to admin for that task. At any time, only have the minimal access rights you need to do your tasks, and no more. Principle of minimal privilege!

Viruses like this could easily be avoided by good security practices, and without the help of AVs. In this case AVs never gave alarms to people even when they were infected by this virus for months. AVs are imperfect like everything, so something more must be used.
eitang

Post by *eitang »

The suspicions about my two programs are right....

My NAV definitions are always as up to date as possible. I don't know how this could happen.

I saw that this virus does nothing except pollute compiled Delphi programs... Stupid.

I am doing a full scan and will eventually restore an old C: backup.

I went to Symantec's site and found out that Symantec only discovered this virus on Aug 18th, but I have _supposedly_ infected files compiled on July 27th !!!

Thanks for the warning.
Best Wishes,

Eitan Gilboa (License #: 17011)
URL: https://eitang.pagesperso-orange.fr/
eitang

Post by *eitang »

So here is my very sad report:

a) NAV updated to the 20th of August found my compiled files infected until back to JUNE 16th !!!!

b) I full-scanned C: where ALL my components and ALL of Delphi 5 reside and found absolutely NO infected file !!!

c) I recompiled CopyToTabs and it is flagged as infected, by the same NAV, _before_ compressing the EXE.

d) I even did a REBUILD - which recompiles units even if not needed, and the exe was infected.

I don't know what to do. My oldest "Ghost" of C: is from Aug 1st, so it doesn't make sense to use it since programs from June 16th are infected...

Any ideas?
Best Wishes,

j

Post by *j »

http://au.sys-con.com/node/1077167 wrote:Delphi developers are advised to check if their compilers' \Lib folder contains a SysConst.bak file (the most obvious sign of infection) and to rename it to SysConst.pas if it exists, overwriting the compromised file, then recompile their applications.
eitang

Post by *eitang »

J,

This is a misleading information!

The BAK file, if there,is of the copiled DCU and NOT the PAS file. Following this advice, the unit will have disappeared completely from the folder.

AsI said above, see on my site the exact way to rid yourself from this virus.

URL below.
Best Wishes,

j

Post by *j »

An obvious sign is not a sufficient condition to be sure you are not infected...
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2eitang
did you tried to use the *.bak file of the infected *.dcu, which this virus respectively does for you? ;)