W32/Induc-A virus infects Delphi sysconst.dcu

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eitang

Post by *eitang »

Postkutscher,

>> did you tried to use the *.bak file of the infected *.dcu, which this virus respectively does for you?

There is no BAK of the infected unit. The normal one is renamed BAK and the infected is DCU. The source, PAS, is untouched (obviously). It contains nothing but SYStem CONSTants. So you can rename the normal one (7.5k) from BAK to DCU, overwriting the infected one (17.4k) and all is fixed.

What I'd like to know is wether an infected EXE will, on a developper's machine, recreate the infected SysConst.dcu???
Best Wishes,

Eitan Gilboa (License #: 17011)
URL: https://eitang.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

eitang,
What I'd like to know is wether an infected EXE will, on a developper's machine, recreate the infected SysConst.dcu???
Yes, that's how the virus spreads and that's how you got infected, too.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Elendacil

Post by *Elendacil »

eitang wrote: What I'd like to know is wether an infected EXE will, on a developper's machine, recreate the infected SysConst.dcu???
As Hacker said, yes, it will. If you run infected exe, it infects the SysConst.dcu again. All the articles I read say that. But you could stop this by using an account that does not have write access to the files this virus tries to infect. You could change file permissions to prevent writing into those files.
eitang

Post by *eitang »

Thank you both for the replies. By now I know what to look for, so it is easy, until the next smartass does another version <g>
Best Wishes,

Eitan Gilboa (License #: 17011)
URL: https://eitang.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Wouldn't making SysConst.dcu readable only fix the problem from happening again in the future? Or does it need to be written to, also?
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, probably not - you can rename a file even when it has the read-only attribute set, and the virus seems to do just that (rename the file to *.bak, then create new one).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Boofo wrote:Please let me know when they update ICLRead and ICLView as I can't read Russian.
Updated:

ICLRead 1.4.1.1
changelog wrote:F: Delphi virus fix.
ICLView 21.8.2009
changelog wrote:* Delphi virus fix;
+ save to 32bit icl files;
+ show library is 32 or 16 bit in status bar;
* height of status bar fix.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2DrShark,

Thank you very much, sir. ;)
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Elendacil

Post by *Elendacil »

Boofo wrote:Wouldn't making SysConst.dcu readable only fix the problem from happening again in the future? Or does it need to be written to, also?
The read-only attribute probably won't help. But changing the NTFS file permissions so that your account has only read & execute rights and no write or modify access to the file would help, especially if you use a limited user account that can't take ownership of any file.
Michael Diegelmann

Post by *Michael Diegelmann »

The file sizes given in eitang's post of August 23, 8:12 am for the SysConst.dcu file (7.5k for the normal DCU and 17.4k for the infected one) are both significantly different from the file size of my SysConst.dcu being 12,354 bytes on all of my computers. I am using the German version of Delphi 7. Does anybody know the file sizes relevant to this Delphi version (original and infected)?

I could not find a SysConst.bak file. Can I therefore be sure that my Delphi has not been infected by the W32-Induc.A virus?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Michael Diegelmann wrote:The file sizes given in eitang's post of August 23, 8:12 am for the SysConst.dcu file (7.5k for the normal DCU and 17.4k for the infected one) are both significantly different from the file size of my SysConst.dcu being 12,354 bytes on all of my computers. I am using the German version of Delphi 7. Does anybody know the file sizes relevant to this Delphi version (original and infected)?

I could not find a SysConst.bak file. Can I therefore be sure that my Delphi has not been infected by the W32-Induc.A virus?
I think 100% warranty you will get if you reinstall Delphi - in this case all your standard modules will be replaced with their original copies. :)
Also if you have virtual machine installed, you may install Delphi into it and check this file size and contents. Also you may try to check out your Delphi distributive. If its files are unpacked, or you may find unpacker for its installer (e.g. if it made with InstallShield), you may get files w/o (re)installing Delphi.

In Vista/7 with UAC user may restrict write-access to system Delphi folders (Bin folder, folder with standard modules etc) in order to protect them from such viruses.
Michael Diegelmann

To MVV: Well, reinstalling Delphi - that's what I wanted to avoid and therefore I had asked if someone just knew the file sizes of SysConst.dcu of the German Delphi 7 version.

Concerning the virtual machine approach: Yes we do have a Delpi 7 installation in a VMWare environment in our university computer center and I definitely had in mind to check this protected installation next week (already before getting your advice). Thank you anyway.
Michael Diegelmann

Result when checking the Delpi 7 installation in a VMWare environment (virtual machine) in our Rosenheim University of Applied Sciences computer center (created 2008-10-28): No SysConst.bak file found and SysConst.dcu has the same file size (12,354 bytes) as on my machines in the office.
Conclusion: No W32-Induc.A infection on any of these computers.

Question to the Delphi developers community: I think programming a little utility which is launched as a service application at system startup and then periodically checks for suspicious changes in the %ProgramFiles%\Borland\Delphi7\Lib subdirectory containing the dcu files in question should be a fairly easy job. What's your opinion about this idea? Would that be helpful or does current up-to-date antivirus software (Kaspersky, Sophos etc.) now provide sufficient protection against this kind of viruses attacking the development environment?