[WFX] VirtualPanel: Temporary panel for TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

MVV wrote:2. Maybe I'll do it. Perhaps with file number instead of date because date will be same as file date. In this case it will be easier to load last user state (with max number). BTW, I think thay you may use external script to copy existing list file after closing TC (or before saving) - simple batch will do this task w/o changing in plugin. :)
How can I force the plugin to save it`s state from script/batchfile?

3. I mean to parse the *.m3u just like "Temporary Panel" and "Temporary Drive" plugins already do. (better TempPanel like) and to export *.m3u without Excel, 3-4 commands etc. Just another one internal command "mkplaylist" or dummy file like Hacker said. If your plugin could do it, TempPanel or Tempdrive may be safely deleted. They implement the same functionality.

4. How about to implement
FsExecuteFile is called to execute a file on the plugin's file system, or show its property sheet. It is also called to show a plugin configuration dialog when the user right clicks on the plugin root and chooses 'properties'. The plugin is then called with RemoteName="" and Verb="properties" (requires TC>=5.51).
and move log[0|1] functionality etc. there?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Postkutscher wrote:How can I force the plugin to save it`s state from script/batchfile?
By default file is used only twice - to load state at the beginning and to save state on exit. File changes only on exit. You may use any script to make backup copy of list file, e.g. to start TC from batch file.
3. I mean to parse the *.m3u just like "Temporary Panel" and "Temporary Drive" plugins already do. (better TempPanel like) and to export *.m3u without Excel, 3-4 commands etc. Just another one internal command "mkplaylist" or dummy file like Hacker said. If your plugin could do it, TempPanel or Tempdrive may be safely deleted. They implement the same functionality.
I understood what you mean, and suggested temporary solution. I'll add internal commands to export just real names - this should work as m3u as I know, and to import files by mask from specified folder and and list of names - this should work for m3u import.
It is also called to show a plugin configuration dialog when the user right clicks on the plugin root and chooses 'properties'
Later I'll add config dialog (maybe), but for now only information message shows instead - so I know about this function. But log command won'r be removed anyway.

Who downloaded version 1.0.0.81 (file was downloaded 3 times), plz update it to latest, it crashes if <add command is executed with only one parameter.

VirtualPanel 1.0.0.83: http://files.wyw.ru/wyw_file?id=3997111 (MD5: BA9A8C038A5F0E172C3DB971ED7795DE)
This version may be a bit unstable but it has scripts support - so you may test it. In scripts you may replace any parameter with '?' character if you want it to be asked during execution. Also read updated first post in this topic.
Last edited by MVV on 2009-10-12, 17:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Version 1.0.0.91 supports complex scripts with nested parameter blocks support. Each nested script must be enclosed into braces. E.g. such script is possible: <add >1 {<add >2 {<add >3 {<add >Save {<save ?<<c:\totalcmd\totalcmd.exe}<?}}}<<c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,45. :shock:
Limitations: file with '{' or '}' in path must be double-quoted, also path to icon file can't contain '}' character.

Some commands not ready yet (e.g. <put command that will support addinggroup of files by mask).

VirtualPanel 1.0.0.91: http://files.wyw.ru/wyw_file?id=3998464 (MD5: 6A7CE1EA4103F65882E9B038598A468F)
robinsiebler

Documentation

Post by *robinsiebler »

When you get the time, some documentation in the downloaded file (or at least a link to some documentation would be nice.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Documentation

Post by *MVV »

robinsiebler wrote:When you get the time, some documentation in the downloaded file (or at least a link to some documentation would be nice.
For now, you may get link to plugin from this topic only. All available information is in first post. But I agree, this won't hurt. I'll add link to this topic into plugin archive.

From version 1.0.0.93 plugin skips "\\\Virtual Panel" part of path in command line automatically (previous versions didn't work with such paths at all, only with paths started from one '\'). E.g. path "\\\Virtual Panel\>Save" (which we get by Ctrl+Shift+Enter) now is treated as "\>Save". Also I changed output extension to WFX in project properties, so I won't forget to rename DLL to WFX more. :)

With scripts you may create somewhere (e.g. in root folder for easy access) script file that will create in current folder set of default script files, and execute it in any folder.

In last version log issues was fixed, added 4 groups of logged events (see title post for details). Also initialization function now will be called even in TC 5.50 and earlier))

VirtualPanel 1.0.0.97: http://files.wyw.ru/4000206 (MD5: 34B9268F6D5C67076EA25CBD92D07918) :wink:
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Well, I have played with this plugin a bit and though it addresses a needed function, the fact that it builds a record in a database for every file in the panel seems... well, unfortunate.

For instance I added 1 folder to the panel which is the root of a very large tree of folders and files. Virtual Panel spent almost a minute to add all the files and folders to its internal store. The result was a very large VP file (1.2Mb).

Besides the file size, another disadvantage to this approach is that Virtual Panel apparently does not track (or synchronize with) changes made to folders which have been previous added to the panel.

This generates too much confusion (for me, anyway) about the currency of the Virtual Panel contents.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

JohnFredC wrote:Well, I have played with this plugin a bit and though it addresses a needed function, the fact that it builds a record in a database for every file in the panel seems... well, unfortunate.

For instance I added 1 folder to the panel which is the root of a very large tree of folders and files. Virtual Panel spent almost a minute to add all the files and folders to its internal store. The result was a very large VP file (1.2Mb).

Besides the file size, another disadvantage to this approach is that Virtual Panel apparently does not track (or synchronize with) changes made to folders which have been previous added to the panel.

This generates too much confusion (for me, anyway) about the currency of the Virtual Panel contents.
What you mean by "VP doesn't track changes"?

Please reread first post. Also I recommend to read first post of topic that it links to. When you copy folder to VP, TC copies folder structure and copies all the files. Plugin don't know when user copies just a single file or a whole folder. VP has possibility to keep real folder links - its one of the main features. But you can't create it w/o internal command <add. You should use <add command to add just only link to top-level folder, in this case VP will remember just one record in its base, and will allow you to browse this folder as usually, launch files from it, copy/move files to and from.

BTW, I added a folder C:\Windows\winsxs in Windows 7 for tests, state file was 10 MB, it is much larger than yours 1.2 MB. :) But if I use command <add \winsxs C:\Windows\winsxs, state file will have size only 54 Bytes. :wink:
Valery_Kondakoff

Post by *Valery_Kondakoff »

When you delete link to real object, just link is deleted. If you want to remove also target, hold Shift to see confirmation message.
Hmm. Does not seems to work here. Just an example. I'm opening the Virtual Panel and copy a file in it, using F5 (from another panel). As far as I understand the link to file is created. Now when I press F8, Shift-F8, Del or Shift-Del on the link in Virtual Panel, the link is deleted, but the target file is not deleted. Am I doing smth wrong?

What should I do if I want to remove the link _and_ the target file as well?

TC7.50a, Win7, VP1.0.0.97
CU
VK
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

MVV wrote:Please reread first post.
I see. Lots of info in that first post... every single word counts:
When you add real folder into virtual volder, TC creates virtual folder structure similar to structure of source folder and adds files to it. If you need just to add real folder as link to it w/o adding whole its structure, you should use internal command <add (currently TC doesn't allow to use another way).
I think this means that the user cannot use drag and drop to add a "real folder" to the panel. Correct?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ate

Post by *ate »

Valery_Kondakoff wrote:What should I do if I want to remove the link _and_ the target file as well?
Press F8 and then Shift+Enter (to confirm the TC-message). Same thing with F6 and then Shift+ Enter (or Shift + click the ok-button).
Valery_Kondakoff

Post by *Valery_Kondakoff »

ate wrote:Press F8 and then Shift+Enter
Got it! Thank you for help.
CU
VK
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

JohnFredC wrote:I think this means that the user cannot use drag and drop to add a "real folder" to the panel. Correct?
Yes. Situation would change if suggestion B was realized. In this case plugin would get path to directory and choose the way (or ask user) of adding it. According to B, plugin would add link or tell TC to add files as usually.
Valery_Kondakoff wrote:Just an example. I'm opening the Virtual Panel and copy a file in it, using F5 (from another panel). As far as I understand the link to file is created. Now when I press F8, Shift-F8, Del or Shift-Del on the link in Virtual Panel, the link is deleted, but the target file is not deleted. Am I doing smth wrong?
After you confirm file deletion, TC informs plugin that you want to remove file. At this moment plugin checks if Shift is down. So, you should hold Shift after you have confirmed deletion. BTW, when you delete files inside real folders (created via <add command), plugin will warn you always. Plugin asks action for all files at first, and if you answer No, then it will ask action for each file.
ate wrote:Press F8 and then Shift+Enter
Thanks for your helpful answer. :)
BTW, it may require to hold Shift until confirmation message will appear.
CEUM

Post by *CEUM »

Hey MVV
thanks for that great plugin!!! :D
That was one of the main missing options in TC. Entrance price 8) from you for the Non Russian speakers is the download, perhaps 1 hint in english possible??
CEUM
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

CEUM wrote:Hey MVV
thanks for that great plugin!!! :D
That was one of the main missing options in TC. Entrance price 8) from you for the Non Russian speakers is the download, perhaps 1 hint in english possible??
CEUM
Sorry if I misunderstand you. You mean that it is hard for you to download file from Russian site? People say it is simple - just enter a number from picture and press a button below, and link to file will appear.
When I get free time, I'll upload it on totalcmd.net.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Good work !

Post by *nsp »

Good work !
This plugin does almost all stuff i wanted except :

- show full path (a custom column and tooltips could be added if plugin support content plugin)
- As M. Ghisler do not want to support filenames with \ event if it comes from a filesystem plugin :(
(i did myself a virtual folder plugin wich replace \ by / and ...... tada but was not able to have %P %N and %L with real names.

- gotofile/ gotoFileNT (set path and select file in opposite pane or do it in a new tab)

- help file.

- some user command to call your plugin from a button bar....