Total7zip

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Orochi

Re: Total7zip

Post by *Orochi »

Horst.Epp ,
Do you mind sending me your Total7zip.xml file.
Thanks.

PS. Are you using the latest modern7z (Modern7z 1.8.7) from May 30, 2020 and latest 7zip 19.00?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Orochi wrote: 2020-12-13, 19:44 UTC Horst.Epp ,
Do you mind sending me your Total7zip.xml file.
Thanks.

PS. Are you using the latest modern7z (Modern7z 1.8.7) from May 30, 2020 and latest 7zip 19.00?
Sorry, I found that I had removed the new codex some time ago.
I use an installed 7zip version 20.02 which is used by the Total7zip plugin.
Adding the modern7zip codecs produces an "Parameter incorrect" in your scenario.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Orochi

Post by *Orochi »

Horst.Epp,
Thank you for testing. At least I am not alone.
Hopefully someone knows solution to this.
TW

Post by *TW »

i'm still not able to figure out what actually is going on with this plugin. i'm zsung 7zip-Zstandard.

i can configure it, but the configuration file does NOT get used although everything shows up properly in the dialog.
and i have NO idea where those settings are stored, but NOT in Total7zip.xml. although after altering settings in the dialog the Total7zip.xmlis still the same but gets a new timestamp.

in the Total7zip.xml it says Level="9" and that's what is used, no matter what the Total7zip settings in TC are.

so after all, here the settings dialog is completely useless, it doesn't do anything. fun fact is, the settings in the dialog really ARE stored somewhere, but i do not know where.
/edit: ok, those settings are stored in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-Zip-Zstandard
but that is not what actually is used, as mentioned.

if i want to change settings, i have to manually edit Total7zip.xml

maybe this plugin only works with standard 7zip, not 7zip-Zstandard.
licenced and happy TC user since 1994 (#11xx)
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

The following info is derived from the plugin documentation:

Code: Select all

Total7zip stores its settings in the file Total7zip.xml 
If this file doesn't exist, it is created with default settings. 
You can use included Total7zip.template.xml as an example. 

new in Total7zip v0.8.4.0
If Total Commander is started in portable mode, Total7zip.xml will be stored in the plugin folder, as it was in previous versions. 
Default path is %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\WCX\Total7zip\Total7zip.xml 
In all other cases Total7zip.xml will be saved to the directory where Total Commander stores the wincmd.ini.
According to the documentation, Total7zip.xml can be stored either in the plugin folder or in Total Commander's main folder. Perhaps in your case Total7zip.xml exists in both locations and the plugin is confused?
TW

Post by *TW »

thanks, i'm aware oh that, and unfortunately it's not that.
i replaced now 7zG.exe and 7z.dll with official 7zip versions, still no luck.

i did set in the registry BOTH entries ("7zip" and "7zip-zstandard") "Level" to 0
Total7zip.xml contains "Level" 9

after opening the dialog in TC it looks fine, "Level" was changed to 9 (as in the xml) in the registry under "7-Zip" and remained 0 under "7-Zip-Zstandard", so:
- Total7zip.xml ---> unchanged at "Level" 9 (obviously, i did not change anything yet)
- registry entry "7-Zip" is now 9
- registry entry "7-Zip-Zstandard" still 0

now i set in the plugin dialog Level to 3 and exit dialog

this is the funny result:
- Total7zip.xml ---> unchanged at "Level" 9 (but the file got a new timestamp)
- registry entry "7-Zip" is now 0 (again?)
- registry entry "7-Zip-Zstandard" changed to 3

a complete mess.
maybe i need also to replace the tc7z64.dll in the TC program folder with official 7zip one.

conclusion is, Total7zip does not work properly with 7zip-zstandard. i guess i could edit the source code and change the registry path. but i haven't installed any visual studio right now anyway. and i'm not keen on installing that monster.
intelms

Post by *intelms »

TW wrote: 2021-05-14, 15:08 UTC thanks, i'm aware oh that, and unfortunately it's not that.
i replaced now 7zG.exe and 7z.dll with official 7zip versions, still no luck.

i did set in the registry BOTH entries ("7zip" and "7zip-zstandard") "Level" to 0
Total7zip.xml contains "Level" 9

I have fixed this problem, because total7zip using Registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-zip" instead of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-Zip-Zstandard".

So just need Registry symbolic link two Keys.(Registry link almost like NTFS link)

Image: https://imgtu.com/i/qKokZD

You can use Registry Workshop did it.
TW

Post by *TW »

ah great, i will try this!

i never really thought about the registry, i only looked at Total7zip.xml
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Total7zip.xml is the configuration file of Total7zip itself, but it calls 7-Zip library, that refers to settings from registry key.
avada

Post by *avada »

Hello!

So, isn't there a more up to date plugin for 7-zip?
I was thinking of reporting that the file extension is changed when I want to copy into a 7-zip archive that doesn't have the .7z extension. Which is annoying, because I may end up creating a new archive instead. But I see the last update was more than a decade ago.
Windows 10
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

So, isn't there a more up to date plugin for 7-zip?
As already mentioned there is no need for an update.
It still works fine using the latest version of 7-zip (currently 21.07).

If you don't want a 7z extension, just remove it from the suggested filename.
#5767 Personal license
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

sqa_wizard, as I see, he says that it is a error-prone behaviour of the plugin, a user can miss that Total7zip decided to add a .7z extension and add files into wrong archive, so in such case an update is really required. Though it may be TC who adds it, I think.

BTW, when I try to open a 7-Zip archive with another extension, TC uses its internal 7z unpacker and not Total7zip.
avada

Post by *avada »

MVV wrote: 2022-04-24, 11:06 UTC sqa_wizard, as I see, he says that it is a error-prone behaviour of the plugin, a user can miss that Total7zip decided to add a .7z extension and add files into wrong archive, so in such case an update is really required. Though it may be TC who adds it, I think.

BTW, when I try to open a 7-Zip archive with another extension, TC uses its internal 7z unpacker and not Total7zip.
Only if a full internal support is implemented, I think. It seems like the plugin is failing to bring up the proper filename.

Another issue I just noticed is that I can only append to 7z archives if I open them by ctrl+page down. If I mere press enter I get an "operation is not supported error".
Windows 10
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2avada
I can only append to 7z archives if I open them by ctrl+page down. If I mere press enter I get an "operation is not supported error".
No such behaviour here.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
avada

Post by *avada »

petermad wrote: 2022-04-25, 22:29 UTC 2avada
I can only append to 7z archives if I open them by ctrl+page down. If I mere press enter I get an "operation is not supported error".
No such behaviour here.
My mistake. I meant renamed 7z archives. Let's say a .cb7. If it's not associated with anything pressing enter will open it and show the files just like when the extension is 7z, even though TC doesn't show it with an archive icon. But when I press F5, I get the unsupported function.
Windows 10