New plugins: .xz and .lzma

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: New plugins: .xz and .lzma

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Huh? Every .xz archive I create with this plugin or 7-zip contains 7zXZ at its beginning, even when packing just a single log file. Nothing concatenated there.

And as I said, the situation with the newer Linux kernel archives is even worse because the date and time information is missing.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The archive which caused you problems had multiple 7zXZ headers inside. They are concatenated archives, which can happen when adding data to an existing file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Ah, now I understand. But there must be more to it than just that. Even single .xz archives can show the wrong size (and wrong date and time). Here's what I did:
  1. Extract the .tar archive from the .xz archive
  2. Open up 7-zip (File Manager); I'm using the latest stable version 19.00 but I don't think it makes a difference
  3. Compress the .tar file extracted in step 1 into an .xz archive using these settings:
    Compression level: Maximum
    Compression method: LZMA2
    Dict size: 32 MB
    Word size: 64
    Solid block size: 128 MB
  4. When done packing, open the created archive in TC
  5. Check size and date/time of the .tar file and you'll see a discrepancy: size is 128 MiB and time/date for the .tar file will be that of the .xz archive (which is wrong)
I also checked Normal compression level and it's the same there, except the file size is shown as 64 MiB. The only thing that seems to lead to a correct file size (but still wrong time/date) is setting "Solid block size" to "Solid".

Is there anything you can do to support such archives?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror