Bug report.

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

Bug report.

Post by *JackFoo »

Hi just found a bug in TC, it happens with %O parameter in button bar. %O is used to output the current filename without extension however if you go to a dir and press CTRL+B (shows all files recursively) and use the button from there, %O passes not only the filename but also the dir from which the file comes (the dir isn't absolute but referenced to the start dir).

P.S. should I send it by email to Christian?

Cheers.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:39 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

How is it correct?? It plainly says in the help that %O outputs the name... Moreover not only does it put the dir but also prepends it with "\", so if I wanted to append %O to some other parameter I would have gotten to slashes!! BTW anyone knows if there is a parameter for current dir eg. if I'm in a dir [mydir] and compress some files TC helpfuly suggests mydir.rar for the archive, is there a prameter for this?

Cheers.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:44 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Question: What is a filename?
Hmm there is only one definition here:
filename - a set of valid* chars. where valid* means they don't include "\" among other restrictions.
IMO filename can include relative path - without it makes no sense in most cases.
Which advantages has a filename (without relative path) if I don't know where this file is located?
Well no disrespect meant but filename cannot (by definition) include path.
As to advantages, what does it matter?? In the help it states %O = filename _without extension_ now how would a filename without extension help you!? (if it does, extrapolate your answer to filename without path).

Cheers.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

For two people to have a meaningful dialog/discussion they have to speak with the same logical rules, obviously we aren't on the same wave...
That's your definition.
It's not mine but rather OS specific, and on every OS I know about it is correct.
What is your pratical problem - or it is only a theoritical problem
Actually I was trying to find a way to automatically generate filenames, like TC does with archives (see my second post) this was an option.
cmd /ctype %O.%E|sort>%O.srt
I don't know if you noticed but you used %E here, now I asked as to the usefulness of %O as a filename without extension as defined in the help.
Conclusion: it's not a bug - it's a feature.
As I stated above, this is your conclusion not an objective one, thus it doesn't add much to the whole business.

Cheers.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Oh, nevermind it's getting too lengthy, what I meant about the extension is that there was a reason why Christian splitted the %O and %E, the same reason I can see with the splitted filename and path. I'm not saying that relative path isn't useful, it's useful, what I'm saying is that %O should be filename and path should be in a different parameter.

Cheers.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

No blood please! :) Iraq is enough...

I think the solution is evident - we need two paramters instead of current %O.