[Request] MediaTransferProtocol (MTP, PlaysForSure) fplugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Vinner21

Edit groups of tags?

Post by *Vinner21 »

First of all, thank you very much Ghisler!!, not only for this plugin but for TotalCommander!

I want to know if it's possible to edit groups of mp3s tags of my media player (Creative Zen Vision M) directly from your plugin. I want to edit, for example, all the songs in a folder. I know that I can modify the tags individually but, that's a way to do it in group?

Thanks a lot!
*Vinner21*
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How do you edit the mp3 tags? The media player plugin doesn't offer this function, it just allows to access your device, so you must be using some other way...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gforg

Post by *gforg »

ghisler(Author) wrote:How do you edit the mp3 tags? The media player plugin doesn't offer this function, it just allows to access your device, so you must be using some other way...
Hello,

usually you use a 3rd party software, for example winamp. It offers manually editing, or if possible it can download track data from the net.

Actually I would like to say a BIG thank you for pautting efforts into this plugin, it is great managing my Sony Ericsson K660i handset!

Yes, many of the newer SE phones connect with an USB Data Cable (DCU-60) to the system as a default MTP Device. And it is a dream to manage the whole phone content from TC, no need using any special software. Just F5, and ready. A good thing would be allowing a transfer queue.

Maybe this is the point this plugin is worth to get some advert...

If there is room for some more bug report: I get often an error mess. Interface not released (line 694).

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Cheers, Gabriel
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the report. When exactly do you get this error? E.g. when uploading, downloading, or just browsing? And in which moment?
gforg

Post by *gforg »

Hello,

As I far as I noticed, it pops up only when stepping back to the MediaAudio "folder".

When once inside, I can choose between Phone Memory or Memory Stick, and from there I do not get any errmassage browsing deeper inside the folders...

But it only pops up when entering the "root" folder the second time (the very firs time it goes without errors), but since then, every time does it pop up, twice. I have to click on OK twice, one right after another. No problem, just annoying a bit, you can live with it. Maybe a spec problem of my system.

Best, Gabriel
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not really an error, it usually means that another part of the media player still accesses the released interface. Therefore I have removed this debug message now.

A new beta of the Windows Media Device plugin is available at the usual URLs:

Windows Media Device plugin 0.76 beta
The sources
Last edited by ghisler(Author) on 2008-12-22, 17:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
gforg

Post by *gforg »

Thank you!

It works now like a dream!

This plugin is a must for users of such MTP Devices!

Great work!

Best regards, Gabriel
HAL 9000

Post by *HAL 9000 »

I have creative zen. Embedded artworks can't be transfered. In other words, mp3 transfered but its artwork is not visible in zen.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm aware of it, but unfortunately I didn't find any solution. There is no documentation on how to transfer artwork, sorry.
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

I have a Sony Ericsson C702 cell phone. I've read in this thread that this plugin works for this kind of phones.

But when I connect the USB cable to the phone and enable the Multimedia Transfer option, a camera device appears on "My Computer", but the plugin doesn't detect any device (only detects the 4in1 card reader installed on my PC).

I also tried disabling the PC card reader, but then nothing appears inside the MediaAudio device.

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I made a quick Google search for your phone and found this:
With Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) you can transfer media files and synchronize playlists when the phone is connected to the computer using the USB cable. It is possible to use MTP in Media transfer mode or Phone mode. MTP is supported by Windows Media Player 11 and higher in Windows XP and Windows Vista.
So to use MTP mode with your phone, you need to
1. Configure it to use Media transfer mode, not Phone mode
2. Install at least Windows Media Player 11
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Thanks, Mr. Ghisler!

After writing my last post, I started to read the MTP Wikipedia article, and I realized I had to install WMP11 or the WMP11 runtimes for MTP to work on Windows XP.

I downloaded WMP11 installer and extracted the runtimes from it (wmfdist11.exe, just for the record).

I installed the runtime libraries, and then I needed to uninstall the NoMTP drivers of my Sony Ericsson cell phone, so it gets recognized as a MTP device.

Unfortunately, when Windows recognizes it as a MTP device, I get an error on driver installation, saying something like: "Error on device installation. A section of the services installation in this INF isn't valid".

And I've been reading some people have had similar problems (same error message), probably related to the Sony Ericsson drivers installed before, and they only get to solve them by reinstalling the OS.

So I've just desisted and will use it on a non-MTP related way. I'd better buy an USB memory stick micro card reader., and will test it again on a future OS installation :(

EDIT: OK, solved!!

After reading a little more, I learnt that, beside of installing the runtime files (wmfdist11.exe), I had also to extract and install the User Mode driver framework (umdf.exe inside the WMP11 installation file).

And now the plugin is working fantastically!!

Thanks a lot for such a great plugin, Mr. Ghisler!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your solution! Btw, my plugin also works with older versions of Windows Media Player, but some phones or mp3 players may indeed require WMP11.
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

You're welcome!

Anyway, I wouldn't have had any problems if I had installed WMP11 from start...

But I don't wanted that piece of bloatware to be installed on my system, so I started reading how to get the Media Transfer Protocol working without WMP11.

And, as I previously said, it's just a matter of extracting and installing wmfdist11.exe and umdf.exe from the WMP11 setup package, and the uninstalling any non-MTP drivers from your system.

Thanks for your interest!
HAL 9000

Post by *HAL 9000 »

Can you add rating column, so we can delete low rated tracks easily like mediamonkey do?