Command-line Compression Utilities

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pplupo

Command-line Compression Utilities

Post by *pplupo »

I've just published all the compression utilities I could find that work in Windows 10 32/64-bit in totalcmd.net. You will find ARJ, LHA, RAR, and ACE there, in case you want to set up these external packers in Total Commander:
http://totalcmd.net/plugring/commandLinePackers.html

As the publications in totalcmd.net allow us to provide a forum discussion topic, I'm creating this here as a communication channel.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Command-line Compression Utilities

Post by *Gral »

As i see you publish some packers converted with "MS-DOS Player" mentioned on the other thread here https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44474. Native 32-bit version of ACE and LHA exist, while UC2 isn't fully functional this way.

Consider also the legal issues.
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

Gral wrote: 2021-06-18, 19:31 UTC As i see you publish some packers converted with "MS-DOS Player" mentioned on the other thread here https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44474. Native 32-bit version of ACE and LHA exist, while UC2 isn't fully functional this way.

Consider also the legal issues.
Thank you, Gral!

I could not find the native 32-bit version of command-line ACE.
As for LHA, I've only used MS-DOS Player for the legacy 2.13 version, also because I could not find a native 32-bit release of that version.
Please, let me know if you have them or where to find them.

UC2 worked well on all my tests when used from within TC's pack/unpack feature. Have you found any issues?

From the legal standpoint, the ones that are not free, are free to share. So there is nothing wrong here. :-)
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

In most cases you can free distribute only UNCHANGED program, so problem here is that you change some exes.
Probably better option is to distribute orignal packer + MSDOS Player executable with instruction for use.
Note that converted EXEs unpack original exe in current work directory and run "MSDOS.EXE some.exe" command from there.
So it's better to configure packer in TC with prepend old, original packer with MSDOS.EXE
e.g. MSDOS.EXE uc2.exe (if both in path, otherwise path is needed)
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

Well, first, technically these were not changed. MSDOS Player, as you pointed out, unpacks original exe and runs it. :-)
Second, LHA can actually be modified. It is true that I missed the part of the license that says that I need to include the modification and the original, so I'll be updating the package. Thank you! :-)

UC2 has been open-sourced and the author is encouraging modifications to make it compatible with modern systems. So that's all good.

The only other one that I have used MSDOS player with is ACE, and that's just because while I can use ACE32 on command-line, TC doesn't work with it:

The instruction at 00406590 referenced memory at 00000000
The memory could not be written

Do you have a 32-bit version of ACE that actually works with TC?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

pplupo wrote: 2021-06-18, 20:51 UTCI could not find the native 32-bit version of command-line ACE.
WinACE supports command line.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

Usher wrote: 2021-06-19, 00:12 UTC
pplupo wrote: 2021-06-18, 20:51 UTCI could not find the native 32-bit version of command-line ACE.
WinACE supports command line.
Full-blown winace with gui and all, not to mention installing it?

TC should work with the actual command-line and it dies. Just not with the 32-bit version, which for me looks like a TC bug.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

ACE archiver command-line version v2.6 (2005-09-21): download

The ACE SFX installer requires a DOS environment (e.g. DOSBox) to execute. The included ACE32/UNACE32 binaries can be started from Total Commander in a Windows command-line prompt.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

I haven't used ACE for 15 years. Last time when i used it, it was WinACE.
With RAR it's better - i stll use WinRAR - works perfectly with TC and single executable is enough for basic operation.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

pplupo wrote: 2021-06-19, 03:29 UTC
Usher wrote: 2021-06-19, 00:12 UTCWinACE supports command line.
You don't have similar problems with installing full-blown Total Commander with GUI and all, do you?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

Usher wrote: 2021-06-19, 14:04 UTC
pplupo wrote: 2021-06-19, 03:29 UTC
Usher wrote: 2021-06-19, 00:12 UTCWinACE supports command line.
You don't have similar problems with installing full-blown Total Commander with GUI and all, do you?
Usher, I'm sorry, I really don't know how to react to this. Either you are trying to be funny or this was a really silly comparison. The purpose of TC is the GUI. Ace in this context is just an auxiliary "add-on" to be triggered from TC without the need to ever run Winace's GUI. And you know it perfectly, right? :? (that's rethorical)

So, moving on... Does anyone know of a command-line ace32 older version that works with TC?
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

pplupo wrote: 2021-06-19, 18:01 UTC So, moving on... Does anyone know of a command-line ace32 older version that works with TC?
In my previous post, I provided you with a link to a working version. Have you actually tried it?
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

deus-ex wrote: 2021-06-19, 18:15 UTC
pplupo wrote: 2021-06-19, 18:01 UTC So, moving on... Does anyone know of a command-line ace32 older version that works with TC?
In my previous post, I provided you with a link to a working version. Have you actually tried it?
OMG, deus-ex, I swear I didn't see it, idk why!

Thank you. I'll try later and post my findings g here, but I'm confident it will work as you already said it works for you.

Thank you again, in advance.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2pplupo

No problem, all is good. :) I already tested the included Ace32.exe with TC, it works fine. Just add the parameter "-c-" to the ace packer configuration to avoid having to press a key each time.

Wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

[Packer]
ACE=ACE32.EXE -c-

2ghisler

Apparently, Total Commander's unpacking support for ACE is broken in current v10. I created several ACE archives with solid, non-solid, store-only, and non-acev2 compression. None of these archives could be unpacked with TC, it always requests to configure an external packer.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2pplupo
Does anyone know of a command-line ace32 older version that works with TC?
I use this one https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/tools/packers/Ace32.exe - it works well with TC.

It works as a command line packer, but it also have a DOS user interface that looks like Norton Commander.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar