Did you EVER use Norton Commander?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Did you EVER use (the good ol') Norton Commander?

Yes, I actually DID use it
88%
No, never used it
8%
Maybe I used it, I can't remember
4%
What's "Norton Commander"??? (is it like Symantec Commander or something ...???)
0%

Total votes: 267

Second Shadow

Did you EVER use Norton Commander?

Post by *Second Shadow »

As stated in the subject, the question is:

Did you EVER use (the good ol') Norton Commander?
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

Norton Commander, Volcov Commander, Dos Navigator. All of them.
And in DN I had a few features, that TC don`t have.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Well, I actually DO use NC.
To organize an AT-machine running on 33 MHz, to have my collection of ole DOS-games available.

Great prog. The concept of the two panes started there. Source - destination. Brilliant. Survey at last..
Built-in ZIP already.. It took MS years to discover the elegancy of the 'move' function, and imitate it.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Actually, during the dark ages of MS-DOS, I preferred Xtree to Norton Commander, i.e. used it more frequently than N.C. :oops:

When Windows 3.0 FileManager started to open dozens of Windows which required manual closing, I discovered the ingenious N.C. concept (cf. post above) by using one of the first Windows based clones, Captain Kirk. :)

When Windows 95 introduced long filename support and Captain Kirk could not handle it (at least v2.0 could not), Windows Commander started being part of every Windows installation. And it still is, though today disguised as TotalCommander. :wink:

From my point of view T.C. today is a better N.C. than N.C. ever was.

Karl
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Sam_Zen wrote:Well, I actually DO use NC....
Me too - on the Win98 / 500 MHz PC which is used by my children ..
But I liked the program very much.

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

Hmm actually I do use it too, I got this amazingly old 100Mhz 'laptop' with 8 MB RAM and Win95 - I have it turned on maybe twice a year for a bit of testing something for a few days. The first thing I do is usually close Windows... :D

And yes, my pocketpc's about 4x as fast as the thing, but it's still a PC - even thou it's the first I ever had whose BIOS management seems to be intended to be on a disk, not on-board.
Translate your favorite Mozilla Extension ~ Your Language Is Important Too.
#tcmd on irc.freenode.net - the place to idle
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have used Norton Commander since 1987. Now I prefer Volkov Commander, which I still use when I have to rescue Windows installations that can't start.

With the latest 4.99.08 alpha of Volkov Commander I can even see long filenames, and supplementing with NTFSDOS.EXE I can also access NTFS partitions after booting from a floppy.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

My first meeting with computer was in high school.
Sweet times with DOS & NC ;) Later windows 3.11 came out. It was very big experience to see GUI on PC...
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

I've used it but i change soon to Director from Canyon Software that it was great too :D .

CAP-Team

Post by *CAP-Team »

I first started with NC4, then NC5. Then in Windows 3.11 I first started to use Windows Commander v2.0 which I since then preferred.
obeg

Post by *obeg »

Of course I did!!!

Even now the first thing to do when I get a new computer, is to change the colors to back/light blue and yellow with inverted cursor.

At Windows 3.11 it was still the tool to yse, but when Windows 95 came it was time to switch over to Windows Commander, and there I've stayed
scadarick

yes sure did

Post by *scadarick »

I am retored now, an automation engineer...and I have been with Ghishler since day one I think.

I even still use an in-house version of Sosha's Norton Commander ever used. It only had half screeb, all bottom was command line, until he added the commandline witthin as did ghishler.

I for one have been at it all my life and maybe , just maybe Explorer was opened at least 40 times in my work.

First thing on and first thing off...the small norton makes a great custom boot disk....add ntfs and NC and you got all you need.

I am very glad to hear ofa few of us olders....still knowing when software works...it works...and ghishler has it done...so does my buddy from South Korea with his EditPlus. been doing his betas for 20 years and with TC and EP....the simple less still rules....and once again...lomg winded me....hard to see big screen tv...but had to let the new up and coming programers...get these 2 tools, and stick with them the rest of your keyboard life....tell me in 10 why I say this....I will be waiting.

remember

aka: scadarick@
at all major emails
Richard L Parker
MPS

Post by *MPS »

yup, since around 1995.
WMAN

Post by *WMAN »

I used it since the begining !

and Windows Commander is THE software that made me use so frequently Windows 3.0 !

WMAN, big fan of Norton Commander and of Windows Commander ...
MPS

Post by *MPS »

yeah, i used it on win 3.11 :)