Would you like to see macros for Total Commander?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you like to see macros for Total Commander?

Yes I would like to see macros as part of the core of TC.
58%
I would like macros but I prefer a plug-in approach.
17%
I need macros and I don’t really care about the method of implementation. Any will do!
17%
My external macro application does the job for me although with an added cost!
1%
I’m using a freeware macro tool that integrates fine with TC.
2%
I’m satisfied with my external macro tool but the integration with TC isn’t ideal!
1%
I find macros useless.
6%

Total votes: 200

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Err, that was supposed to be a script example...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:Err, that was supposed to be a script example...

Roman
Really! Oh, then I guess scripting won’t be just for power users. If we should expect that kind of syntax then things look quite promising! Sorry for the misunderstanding. As I said before I know nothing about macro scripting!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Script is script, no matter of it is a Word macro or Javascript, it's just a sequence of commands.
(AFAIK)

HTH
Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:Script is script, no matter of it is a Word macro or Javascript, it's just a sequence of commands.
I don’t object to that but as the complexity is an issue here too the “script is script” logic is not true for all users.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, as I imagine possible scripting, it would be just a sequence of internal TC commands with their needed input as parameters, like

cm_search favsong.mp3 c:\mymusic\ noarchives notext
buttonpress_gotofile
cm_enter

or something like that.

HTH
Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

That was my initial thought of implementation too. And you know what! If this is implemented it will satisfy in a way that old Valentino’s wish from the old forum about having an “internal command, command line”! ;)
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

buttonpress_gotofile
cm_enter
This is what is desperately needed. With one click a can zip files, with another - rar them, one more script - automatically make comments.
I use Windows PowerPro which is the best Scripting utility I have ever seen (and I have seen MUCH). And more! It s TOTALLY free. it's scripts fantastics. I conrol Winamp totally with it. I replaced tens of programs with PowerPro.

www.windowspowerpro.com

But! It has no close integration with Total Commander. It cannot use internal commands of Total Commander
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Thanks Ergo for the suggested tool. It’s quite good. And thanks for supporting the idea!

I personally believe that this feature (call it macros, scripting or whatever) will be the next best thing for TC. TC is very powerful but in a way its power relies in interactivity if you know what I mean. Any automation method will blast its power even higher. I have my fingers crossed for v6.0! ;)
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

BTW.
2 ask questions on PowerPro you can subscribe mail-discussion list
power-pro-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

PowerPro beats any macro tool! And its abilities are fantastic. If you like conficurability of Total Commander, you will fall in love with PowerPro!
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Ergo wrote:...you will fall in love with PowerPro!
I already did! But I don’t want to admit it because I really want to see this feature build for TC for better integration with internal commands! ;)
bytalized

Post by *bytalized »

Hacker wrote:Well, as I imagine possible scripting, it would be just a sequence of internal TC commands with their needed input as parameters, like

buttonpress_gotofile
cm_enter

or something like that.

HTH
Roman
like the idea, but the usual definition of that is a macro, whereas a script can have conditional statements, e.g.

select *.txt
if filesize_selected>=100k then
delete selected
else
copy select targetgetfolder
end if

have the use of all internal commands, etc.

would rock imho.

probably best to use a VB or PHP like syntax if it's going to be added.

even better would be a plugin framework allowing you to access internal commands, etc. without needing to subclass windows and whatnot.
that way someone could write a script langauge, or just precompiled additions to TC.

regards.
Jeroen
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

I know that native support for scripts in TC would be the best and most stable, but creating a 3rd party tool for scripting in TC wouldn't be that difficult. All you have to know is TC's internal cmds (which can be found in TOTALCMD.INC) and using SendMessage to send them to TC.
Last edited by Aezay on 2004-09-30, 21:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bytalized

Post by *bytalized »

I actually meant a different plugin type.
it would expose all methods (functions) and messages to the plugin, as well as the contents of the listboxes.

that way everyone can write a script language that suits their needs.

takes a load of off development for Mr. Ghisler as well, since it would mean integration within the messagepump, rather than a whole new scripting addition.

if you then wrote this dll to have the function of both this "function" plugin as well as the filesystem plugin you could configure it through nethood :)

since the WM_ messages might change in future builds of TC this would be a more elegant solution imho.

this way you could intercept the copy function before it commences, and switch to slowcopy, etc. as well.

just my 2c worth, but I've liked TC for ages, it's not a neccesity, but would make it even more powerful :)
bago

Post by *bago »

bytalized wrote:I actually meant a different plugin type.
I suggested :idea: a similar thing in a previous post, but no one answered, so I thought there is no interest in this :!:

I think this could be the best thing for the TC community!
License #55385
bytalized

Post by *bytalized »

great minds think alike :)