Total Commander GUI evolutions

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How do you think TC GUI should change?

I'd like to have full skin support
12%
I'd like to have a smaller/cleaner interface
13%
I only want new "modern" icons/fonts
12%
I want new selectable "sets" of icons (themes support)
10%
Current TC GUI rocks, don't change it!
20%
I’m satisfied with TC GUIs but I'm not against changes
32%

Total votes: 430

bago

Total Commander GUI evolutions

Post by *bago »

I'd like to know what TC users think about the Total Commander Graphical User Interface. Here is an explanation of the choices.

I'd like to have full skin support:
Full skins support like WinAmp / Trillian: it could increase the weight of TC.

Some UI refinement: I posted in a different topic some of them. New Icons, more modern "iconed" menues and toolbar icons (draggable toolbar), a single bar for drive-list-combobox and current-panel-path, a cleaner header-select-boxes for the file-list. (I think Servant Salamander GUI is an example of "good" GUI: well, look only at screenshots, Salamander is worst than TC). PS: this is my choice :mrgreen:

If you think TC does only need new default Icons and Fonts.

Theme support as a set of "visual" configurations (fonts, icons, menues, colors).

Current TC GUI rocks, don't change it!
You are absolutely against any single change to TC

I’m satisfied with TC GUIs but I'm not against changes
If you're indifferent to this topic.[/url]
License #55385
TotalNewbie

Re: Total Commander GUI evolutions

Post by *TotalNewbie »

bago wrote:I'd like to know what TC users think about the Total Commander Graphical User Interface. Here is an explanation of the choices.

No. At least not 'fat' skins

Yes

Good start. But all covered by the interface above.

Yes!

[/url]
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

Please, Christian, don't do it!!!!
Say, NO SKINS, in Total Commander!
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
bago

Post by *bago »

Ergo wrote:
Please, Christian, don't do it!!!!
Say, NO SKINS, in Total Commander!
I'm against SKINS too, that's why I use miranda-icq and not icq2003 or trillian.

And.... someone knows of a native windows GUI media player ? I'm not able to find a media player with no skin!... i'm currently using WinAmp with a windows like skin and zoomplayer with a simple skin.... but I don't like them very much.
License #55385
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2bago

you should take a look at media player classic: http://vobsub.edensrising.com/mpc.php ;)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

skin support is already included in Total Commander. All you need is Windows XP.
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

2bago
I'm against SKINS too, that's why I use miranda-icq and not icq2003 or trillian.
I used them both. Don't you know that Miranda supports skins too? BTW now I use Trillian because Miranda in fact has more bugs :( than Trillian.

And BTW i use BSPlayer as a multimedia player. It supports skins but that is not a reason to leave BSPlayer, because its skins are not bad implemented and are not memory-hungry, and moreover player is for entertainment and it is not bad that it supports tiny skins. But SKINS in Total Commander is bad, because Total Commander is not for entertainment, it would make Total Commander more memory-hungry, and that funny file manager is not funny :(
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
DSE

Post by *DSE »

TC must still a working tool, not a toy !
Don't change anything within TC !

I use WindowBlinds that change the look of all programs Windows.
I thing this is all what I need to have a 'personal' look of TC.
And it's work fine with TC :wink:
bago

Post by *bago »

Ergo wrote:2bago
I used them both. Don't you know that Miranda supports skins too? BTW now I use Trillian because Miranda in fact has more bugs :( than Trillian.
Miranda doesn't support skin anymore: as for my idea of skins! the ability to change background and icons is not skinning.
Features to remove title bar and main menu are patches from me ;-) as I like a "slim" interface.

Miranda core team is working hard to improve stability (from the next relase they will integrate an integrated debugging mode that will help finding bugs in plugins, as major instability is given by plugins). Plugins for AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber and IRC have been added, too. ICQ support is being moved to plugin.
Ergo wrote: And BTW i use BSPlayer as a multimedia player. It supports skins but that is not a reason to leave BSPlayer, because its skins are not bad implemented and are not memory-hungry, and moreover player is for entertainment and it is not bad that it supports tiny skins.
I really like Media Player Classic suggested in a previous post :mrgreen:
Ergo wrote: But SKINS in Total Commander is bad, because Total Commander is not for entertainment, it would make Total Commander more memory-hungry, and that funny file manager is not funny :(
I don't distinguish between entertainment and not: miranda is not entertainment for me as I use it to work, too. The media player is not entertainment because I use it to work too!

Skins are always (in my opinions) memory hungry (I don't even use the desktop background image because it eats memory :mrgreen:).
License #55385
hpg

Post by *hpg »

I will support In creating a new skin-able GUI for total commander if CG would like. I used Skin in some of my applications and the only thing I takes is about 100-200 kB of code. Skins should be an optional feature and a standard skin should be implemented! :-)
bago

Post by *bago »

hpg wrote:I will support In creating a new skin-able GUI for total commander if CG would like. I used Skin in some of my applications and the only thing I takes is about 100-200 kB of code. Skins should be an optional feature and a standard skin should be implemented! :-)
100-200KB is too much for a feature we dislike ;-)
I really hope that this 100-200Kb won't be added to TC.

I will not be against skin when I will be able to use the standard skin with no extra kb and no system slow-down: and I think this is not possible right now.
License #55385
shammat

Post by *shammat »

TC has a clean and very efficient UI (that's one of the reasons why it's so popular) I wouldn't change it

The only exception would be if the default skin would look like TC today. What I usually see with skinned applications that 99% of the skins are complete rubbish. The tend to make the apps unusable. And besides: one of the great adavantages of a graphical user interface is the fact that every application looks and behaves similar (in the areas where different applications can).

Cheers
Thomas
Shaf

Post by *Shaf »

Since we're talking about GUi Changes I'd like to throw in my comments.
My 2 favourite all time File Manager utilities were both on the Amiga they were Directory OPOS (Ver. 4.1 or earlier) and DisKMaster 2 (by Greg Cunningham).

The reason I registered Windows Commander was because it was very similar to those 2 apps, and at the time there was no other accepatble file managers on the PC. (My First registered Versio of Windows Commander was 3.1 I think Personal License # 12965)

I love the Dual Pane GUI but would like to see more buttons available.
I preferthem in the center between the 2 panes but a bigger button bar at the bottom is also acceptable.
(john)

Post by *(john) »

What can I say? I'm not into fad/fashon...skins are there with Windows themes and the various color options. :)

I've just begun learning how to operate TC and don't think I should comment any further than skins... heh heh.
Alexandrie

Post by *Alexandrie »

to have full skin support by XP and Windowblinds, not need to have skin support like Winamp