Total Commander GUI evolutions

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How do you think TC GUI should change?

I'd like to have full skin support
12%
I'd like to have a smaller/cleaner interface
13%
I only want new "modern" icons/fonts
12%
I want new selectable "sets" of icons (themes support)
10%
Current TC GUI rocks, don't change it!
20%
I’m satisfied with TC GUIs but I'm not against changes
32%

Total votes: 430

Kowalski

Post by *Kowalski »

i hate skins!!! skins are for babies . i hate such things which does nothing accept eating up system resources. say no to skin support
A totally Total Commander addict since 1998
Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

Yea - no on skin support, absolutly no point with programs such as windowsblinds and themes for XP.

However, one option I would like to see is the ability to make a custom "tileable" background for the window panes in TC. Much like what miranda IM has.
Ivan Moratinos

Post by *Ivan Moratinos »

i hate skins!!! skins are for babies . i hate such things which does nothing accept eating up system resources. say no to skin support
Me too.
Esperanto estas la solvo - http://ikso.net/
havanna

Post by *havanna »

Ok, let those have skins who want them - I don't.
As long as Christian can/wants to spare time for it.
Tanstaafl
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I say don't add anything that doesn't improve the functionality of a program. Make the room available for additions that will maximize it's usefullness, not it's looks. Just my 3 1/2 cents (inflation) worth.
tombik

Post by *tombik »

Hi!

What could happen with skins is that TC will not fit on a single 1,44 disk.
And that wouldn´t be very nice. :twisted:

Tombik
License # 37884 @ TC 7.56a
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

Uhm. I have the impression that the TC6 install already fits barely?
avis

Post by *avis »

Skins means: more complicated code, more ways to implement errors, more to test. I would like to keep TC efficient.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Take a look at the screenshot. Do we really need a "TC skin system"? I don't think so.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Lefteous wrote:Take a look at the screenshot. Do we really need a "TC skin system"? I don't think so.
Agreed. And I like the comment above the screenshot, lol
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
joro_abv

Post by *joro_abv »

I'd like to have a smaller/cleaner interface
Absolutely !!! Please, do it ! This is the major remark I have - TC's workspace is not flexible at all. I can't even put the toolbar and the menubar on one row ! Don't forget to put the command line in a draggable toolbar too.
Other bad point for me is the obsolete look of TC - the tree view, for example, looks even like the win3.1 file manager !!! This can be fixed by simlpy adding WinXP visual styles support. NO SKINS , please. Just add the visual styles and some modern icons for the toolbar.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2joro_abv
the tree view, for example, looks even like the win3.1 file manager !!! This can be fixed by simlpy adding WinXP visual styles support.
Adding visual style support to a custom drawn control is possible, but it's definetely not simple!
joro_abv

2 Lefteous

Post by *joro_abv »

Well, I don't have an idea how it's made, I just know that the others do it and it looks good, isn't ?! Btw, SpeedCommander (www.speedproject.de) is very close to what I like, but TC's functionnality is better. Especially the plug-ins concept is one of it's best advantages. But, guys, it's really ugly! Don't get me wrong - even with this look/workspace it's the best file manager I've tried (and, believe me, I've tried a lot of them). But my point is : the fans that like the current TC can always make it look like it looks now. Why then loose the others (like me), who want it more flexible ? When I launch it, it gets me years back with this obsolete look. I'm wondering - U're throwing so much efforts to make TC's functionality flexible with this highy editable toolbar, plug-ins etc, and suddenly ... the user can't even change the place of same this toolbar ... I really can't understand this.
Ivan Moratinos

Post by *Ivan Moratinos »

In my TC I don't use the button bar, I don't use drive buttons, the command line is not shown (when I want to type a command I press the right-arrow and the command line automatically appears), I don't need the function keys to be shown (I know the keys I need); so my TC is quite clean and clear. I don't need icons in the menus (I can read) and definitely I don't need skins.

I don't need the TC to be cool, I need it to be fast and handy. If you don't like its look use windowblinds or whatever. The only thing I miss is the possibility of having the tabs under the file list (I hope it will be implemented soon)
Esperanto estas la solvo - http://ikso.net/
raeubi
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *raeubi »

I need it to be fast and handy
I agree. I need the TC for professional use at work. It must be fast and small!
Räubi
(#2852 + #287609)