Should F2 become the default for renaming?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Should F2 become the default for renaming?

Yes
63%
No
25%
I don't care
12%

Total votes: 583

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Currently, F5 has the following actions:
F5: Copy to
F5 + Shift: Copy Here.
F5 + Shift + Ctrl: Create Shortcut.

F5 is a candidate for a MasterHotkey for Copy.

Thus if one could reassign all of the Function keys to desired alternate keys by MasterHotkey only, all the related functions would get automatically assigned.

If you made F2 the MasterHotkey for Copy, that would free up the 3 F5 action/keys above, for another Hotkey or MasterHotkey, thusly:
F2: Copy
F2+Shift: Copy Here
F2+Shift+Ctrl: Create Shortcut.

These are a different Set of Actions, not "Copy Related", and would not get shifted (automatically) to F2:
F5 + Alt: Pack
F5 + Alt + Shift: Pack & Delete

F6, similarly would be a MasterHotkey for Move.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

Thus if one could reassign all of the Function keys to desired alternate keys by MasterHotkey only, all the related functions would get automatically assigned.
I see. According to your idea, what changes would the "redefine hotkeys (keyboard mapping)" section undergo in TC options?

PS: How do you use "copy here"? I never knew of this...
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

F5 + Shift: Copy Here, is like a not very useful Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V (within the same panel) -- as it wont auto-rename - so you have to manually do so -- though it does leave the option open to script in a default; it would be nicer to have an internal option for a default instead of "*.*" or in the case of a single file, the file's name.

The hotkey config section (options) wouldn't need to change, it would just require a handful of new commands:
i.e. cm_CopyMasterHotKey, cm_MoveMasterHotkey, etc. Internally a few arrays would need to organize the valid commands together.

Personally, I'll just keep using AHK to trip out my mouse and keyboard as needed - and keep wishing for some of my suggestions over the years ;) By now TC should've had an internal solution to junction/hardlink/etc file creation -- which would of fit easily into the F5/F6/F7 families.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

it would just require a handful of new commands:
i.e. cm_CopyMasterHotKey, cm_MoveMasterHotkey, etc. Internally a few arrays would need to organize the valid commands together.
I am not sure if that wouldn't make things more complicated but it definitely is an original idea of yours!

F5 + Shift: Copy Here, is like a not very useful Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V (within the same panel) -- as it wont auto-rename - so you have to manually do so -- though it does leave the option open to script in a default; it would be nicer to have an internal option for a default instead of "*.*" or in the case of a single file, the file's name.

completely agree with you here!
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

F2 should be the standard for renaming, but ONLY if Shift+F6 still exists for this operation.
Personally I use Shift+F6, but F2 is the standard for non-TC-users and TC-newbies.
neverthelesshello

Post by *neverthelesshello »

I think the votes speak 61% against 21
so come on change it
What you dont see is what you get!
dott

Post by *dott »

61% against 26% ;-)

I worse case scenario a very easy to find setting to change F6<>F2 and all needed keyboard remap necessary, e.g. refresh key > copy key > ....:x :x .......... etc

better leave as it is :twisted:
Mercade

Post by *Mercade »

neverthelesshello wrote:I think the votes speak 61% against 21
so come on change it
Yeah. It's been seven years since the question was originally posed, so I don't think there's been a massive shift in views. Go ahead and make F2 the default. It's not just the edit key in Exploder, but also in Excel (where I use it a lot more since I use TC instead of Exploder).

Would be nice if shift-F6 remained possible for people who are used to it. Personally I've always put a refresh icon in the icon bar (never bothered to find out what the keyboard shortcut for it was anyway).

Would have been helpful if the default tooltip on such commands as refresh also showed the shortcut (if any), but perhaps that's another well hidden option.
°jh

hotkey re-mapping fails (7.56a) for Sh-F6 --> F2 rename f

Post by *°jh »

I have tried (several times) to re-map Shift-F6 rename to F2 (it is a nuisance not to have it there) -- but the re-mapping of cm_RenameOnly (1002) from a disposable Shift-F6 fails to work. Is there a bug in my 7.56a version?
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

2ghisler(Author),
Personally I use keys this way:
F2 = rename
F9 = refresh (instead of menus); For accessing menus always can be used alone "Alt" (insread of F9).

IMHO, "F2" is the only thing, than could be changed! I mean "can", but not "must". All another keys must (!) be left as they are forever, because that changes are much worse for habits.

P.S. I've read upper:
add the F2 button to the bottom with the rest of the buttons
It's a good idea!
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

2°jh
There's no bug in TC. It's your config.
Find your "wincmd.ini", open in text editor, find there "[Shortcuts]" section and add line:

Code: Select all

F2=cm_RenameOnly
. Also you must check if it is already there (don't make double lines!).
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
°jh

thnx MaxX

Post by *°jh »

Works like magic ;) Thank you, MaxX.

Maybe the configuration could not be made until "[Shortcuts]" section was manually inserted in the *ini file. This is rather surprizing as it should really not be a big issue to search and create the section initially. (Program-aided configurators are certainly offered to prevent users from unnecessary manual edits.)

BTW, you inspired me to add a key for refresh. I thought of tab. Just to test if the configurator works. It did, this time. But tab gets probably captivated by the system earlier, as it still keeps switching panels, though TC does show it in its list of user-changed hotkeys.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

2°jh
Just for you, my keys list from config:
[Shortcuts]
F2=cm_RenameOnly
F9=cm_Rereadsource
F10=cm_Associate
F11=cm_CopyNamesToClip
F12=cm_CopyFullNamesToClip
CA+F5=cm_PackFiles
A+F11=cm_CopyNetNamesToClip
A+F12=cm_CopySrcPathToClip
S+F11=cm_CompareFilesByContent
S+F12=cm_CopyTrgPathToClip
A+A=cm_SetAttrib
A+B=cm_visButtonbar
A+C=cm_CompareFilesByContent
A+D=cm_FileSync
A+I=cm_ShowHint
A+K=cm_visKeyButtons
A+L=cm_UnloadPlugins
A+Q=cm_ShowQuickSearch
A+R=cm_OpenNetwork
A+S=cm_SaveSelection
A+T=cm_OpenControls
A+W=cm_visDirTabs
A+UP=cm_editpath
AS+S=cm_SaveSelectionToFile
AS+R=cm_LoadSelectionFromFile
C+G=cm_VerticalPanels
C+H=cm_SwitchHidSys
C+J=cm_matchsrc
C+O=cm_OpenTransferManager
C+S=cm_ShowOnlySelected
CS+K=cm_OpenRecycled
A+P=cm_VisDriveButtons
May be, you'll find sth useful.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Maybe the configuration could not be made until "[Shortcuts]" section was manually inserted in the *ini file. This is rather surprizing as it should really not be a big issue to search and create the section initially. (Program-aided configurators are certainly offered to prevent users from unnecessary manual edits.)
It is not necessary to insert [Shortcuts] manually in wincmd.ini to make it work. You must have done something wrong - perhaps you didn't click the green checkmark button (or the OK button) in the main Config dialog after you chose cm_RenameOnly in the Choose command dialog ?

I thought of tab. Just to test if the configurator works. It did, this time. But tab gets probably captivated by the system earlier, as it still keeps switching panels, though TC does show it in its list of user-changed hotkeys.
You are right that TAB (and Shift+TAB) doesn't have effect when reconfigured - TAB is in the list, so that it can be used with other modifiers, for example Ctrl+TAB.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

You'd need to use an AHK script for TAB and do a check for which Control is active.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.