Show parent dir also in root of drive

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you to see an improvement to "Show parent dir also in root of drive"

Add option: cm_GotoParent (in c:) and cm_GoToRoot behave like cm_OpenDrives (disabled by default)
25%
Add option: cm_GotoParent (in c:) and cm_GoToRoot behave like cm_OpenDrives (enabled by default)
No votes
cm_GotoParent (in c:) and cm_GoToRoot behave like cm_OpenDrives as default
No votes
I don't need an additional option. The current behavior is just fine.
75%

Total votes: 24

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Show parent dir also in root of drive

Post by *Lefteous »

Read the topic Wish TC6.0: "Show parent dir also in root of drive"

1)
Add option: cm_GotoParent (in root directory) and cm_GoToRoot behave like cm_OpenDrives

Pressing "backspace" in a root directory or pressing "Ctrl+<" anywere will open drives. This option can be enabled or disabled. It's disabled by default.

2)
same as 1) except that the new option is enabled by default.

3)
cm_GotoParent (in root directory) and cm_GoToRoot behave like cm_OpenDrives as default

Add the described behavior by default. It shouldn't become a configurable option.

4)
I don't need an additional option. The current behavior is just fine.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Show parent dir also in root of drive

Post by *white »

I am confused about what your proposal is. Do you want new commands named cm_GotoParent and cm_GoToRoot (which is quit meaningless I think), or are you talking about the functionality of the root and parent dir buttons and shotcuts?

BTW, I would like to be able to go to "My Computer" from the root of a drive by clicking the parent dir button, but I would never want to go to "My Computer" when I click the root dir button.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2white
Do you want new commands named cm_GotoParent and cm_GoToRoot
no, I don't want new commands. cm_GotoParent and cm_GoToRoot already exist!
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2Lefteous

Okay. I finally understand :D

Using your words, I want cm_GotoParent (in root directory) to behave like cm_OpenDrives and cm_GoToRoot not to behave like cm_OpenDrives.
So I cannot participate in your poll, because this is not possible with the presented poll options.

BTW. Wouldn't it be wiser to describe the difference in functionality of Total Commander for each poll option in plain english, so more people can participate in your poll. (or is it just me who has trouble understanding? :oops: )
jb

Post by *jb »

I suggest to introduce a "root hierarchy" as follows:

Desktop (cm_OpenDesktop)
- Network (cm_OpenNetwork)
- My Computer (cm_OpenDrives)
- - DriveRoot (cm_GoToRoot)
- - - TabRoot (NEW: cm_GoToTabRoot; not necessarily below DriveRoot, but typically)

Instead of changing the existing command cm_GoToRoot I suggest to introduce a new command cm_GoToNextRoot which jumps to the next higher root within the "root hierarchy". Optionally cm_GoToNextRoot instead of cm_GoToRoot can be bound to the \ button.
Furthermore I suggest that the parent directory entry (..) can be displayed in every "directory" except on the Desktop (top root).

See also this post.