Action when trying to change directory in a locked tab

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Which action should be executed when when trying to change directory in a locked tab

Open "Subdir" in a new unlocked tab (current bahavior)
27%
Open "Subdir" in a new locked tab
No votes
Do absolutely nothing
6%
Ask the user: Would you to change to "Subdir" inside the current tab (Yes/No)
5%
Ask the user: Would you to open "Subdir" in a new locked tab (Yes/No)
No votes
Ask the user: Would you to open "Subdir" in a new unlocked tab (Yes/No)
2%
The user can choose between all the actions (or even more- define in your post!) in the configurations dialog.
45%
I want something else. The behavior is described in my post.
15%

Total votes: 66

Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

I think you guys aren't realizing that the opentabs and appendtabs commands allow you to actually create shortcut keys to pre-definded tab setups. (read the TC help file)

IMO there isn't much of a need to change the way tabs work, they're already working beautifully. The only change in tabs that i'd like to see is when you use the appendtabs command it shouldn't append tabs that are already opened. When this happens i get duplicate tabs of the exact same folder.. so therefore im forced to use opentabs which basically makes the appendtabs command useless for me.. i think some of you already mentioned this behavior but I wanted to point out these commands.
Batchman

Post by *Batchman »

If I am in a locked tab and I change to another directory, the following should happen:

If the new dir is already active in an existing tab, this tab should be activated.

If it is not, a new tab should be created.

This way you would avoid getting ten identical new tabs when changing ten times from the locked tab to the same subdir.

The EASIEST way to avoid getting unwanted new tabs is ... not to lock tabs.

The tab feature is really great, even if it stays like it is now. :D

Batchman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If the new dir is already active in an existing tab, this tab should be activated.
This is a good idea, I will consider it for one of the next versions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Wilhelm M. wrote:1) If an unlocked Tab exists then this Tab should be overwritten.
2) If no unlocked Tab exists then a new unlocked Tab should be opened.
jb wrote:More precisely: If unlocked tabs (1..*) exist then the rightmost of them ... should be overwritten.
I agree with this behaviour as an option to the current one.
This kind of implementation was my first expected result, working with locked tabs.

The "keep tab name" option would be very nice too ...
#5767 Personal license
GaMMa

Post by *GaMMa »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
This is a good idea, I will consider it for one of the next versions.
I got another idea: If the tab you come from isn't locked, it should be closed automatically, at least optional. Often, I change to a subdirectory, and then I directly go back. That feature would be very handy in these situations.
I could of course just close the new tab - but then I don't come back to the tab I came from (that would be much better!), even with "open new tabs near current tab", but instead I get into the tab right of that one.
Clo

The same...

Post by *Clo »

jb wrote:
soreno wrote:Actually I don't really use tabs as the implementation is currently.
I'm also disappointed with the current implementation and use it only occasionally to follow the discussion. :(
:) Hi!
The same thing... So, I installed a button in the bar to hide / display the tabs. The most times, they are hidden. But yet, that should be great having new features (and inconveniances fixed up!)
Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
mhe

Post by *mhe »

Another idea, let the tabs be "locked" to a certain dir, but still be browsable just like a normal tab.

And if you want to return to the standard position you could just click the tab name.
hwahlberg

Vote for "ib" root folder suggestion

Post by *hwahlberg »

Vote for "ib" root folder suggestion (as posted on Sat Nov 2003 6:44 pm)

I used to define new drives with subst to achieve something similar to what "ib" proposes in "Posted: Sat Nov 2003 6:44 pm"

(with each locked folder keeping their name, not opening subfolders, and beeing able to move to any folder below it's definition point. and having "\" move not to the drive root, but to the folder root)

Unlocked folders miss a mouse direct close option.
Suggestion:
[i]Prefix the not-locked folders with the standard windows close "X" icon
[/i]

(Prefixing is sligthly superion to postfixing imho, as when closing more than one folder in succession, you don't need to move the mouse)

Otherwise i find tabs a great improvement.
Good work TC team.
jb

Re: Vote for "ib" root folder suggestion

Post by *jb »

hwahlberg wrote:Vote for "ib" root folder suggestion (as posted on Sat Nov 2003 6:44 pm)
Thank you :), but my user name is "jb" and my suggestion was posted here on Sat Nov 29, 2003.
jb

Post by *jb »

hwahlberg wrote:Unlocked folders miss a mouse direct close option.
Suggestion:
Prefix the not-locked folders with the standard windows close "X" icon

(Prefixing is sligthly superion to postfixing imho, as when closing more than one folder in succession, you don't need to move the mouse)
I think an "X" icon on each unlocked tab would take too much space. Alternatively an "X" icon could be placed on the title bar of the corresponding panel as long as there is more than one tab visible.
hwahlberg

Post by *hwahlberg »

jb wrote:
hwahlberg wrote:Unlocked folders miss a mouse direct close option.
Suggestion:
Prefix the not-locked folders with the standard windows close "X" icon

I think an "X" icon on each unlocked tab would take too much space. Alternatively an "X" icon could be placed on the title bar of the corresponding panel as long as there is more than one tab visible.
You save a little space on the locked tabs, as there is no need for the "*" in this case.

And when you primarily use locked "root folder" tabs, the the space for the "X" won't be a problem, as TC wont keep creating new tabs. :-)
Then otoh, as a consequense of "root folder tabs" there won't ba as many unwanted to close, thus not the great need.

Otherwise i agree.
hwahlberg

Locked tabs and disconnected drives

Post by *hwahlberg »

Hi.

I'm using TC/tabs on my labtop at work and at home. Some tabs are locked to directorys on drives present at work, others locked to directories present at my home network.

Should I happen to select "work" tab at home, it cant show anythíng,
that's understandable.
(To get any further I have to let it show C:\)

But when I get to work, this locked tab does'n show the locked position, anymore, but rather C:\ , not quite the behaviou I did expect.

please take this into consideration when/if changin the functionality per tha ideas / recommendations in the poll
Best regards Henrik
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

The action that will fit my needs would be as follows:
Directory change should be allowed on a locked tab viewing the output on the same tab and not on a newly created one (as it is now) but by the time I switch tabs and go back to the locked one I want to see the contents of the initial locked directory location.

The switching to the initial location should be made directly after the locked tab looses its focus by viewing another tab updating the tab name as well to inform the user of the change.

So in this way you get the advantage of having a dedicated tab to a folder while at the same time folder browsing is not annoying (as it is now in my humble opinion). Of course, everything should be made configurable to comply with different user needs.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
marbo

Post by *marbo »

DoubleT wrote:
Wilhelm M. wrote:1) If an unlocked Tab exists then this Tab should be overwritten.
I also prefer this behavior.

1a) Because it can give several unlocked tabs, there should be one preferred tab. This could be marked as 'aktiv'.

And make it optional, so any user can use his own configuration.

DT
Can't wait to have this feature. Tabs are great but i wish there was an option for only 1 unlocked tab. On the current configuration, i keep closing all tabs just to see my locked tabs (w/o scrolling that is).
freddy_10000

Post by *freddy_10000 »

Wilhem

Hi,

mir gefaellt dieser Vorschlag SEHR.

Eine Verfeinerung waere, einen sogenannten "active tab" einzufuehren. Ist man in einem gesperrten Tab und wechselt von dort aus die Verzeichnisebene, sollte in diesem aktiven Tab das neue Verzeichnis angelegt werden. Andere generierte "unlocked tabs" sollten davon nicht beeintraechtigt werden.

Hoffe auf baldige Verbesserung, komme momentan schnell auf 10 und mehr "unlocked tabs", dann wird das ganze EXTREM UNUEBERSICHTLICH.

Gruesse,
Freddy