TAB: 2, 4 or 8 spaces. Make it configurable and 4 as default

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Do you like this suggestion?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 23

EJocys

TAB: 2, 4 or 8 spaces. Make it configurable and 4 as default

Post by *EJocys »

Please add "Tab Ident Size: [ 4 ]" option to configuration of internal viewer of Total Commander.

TAB size of 4 spaces is the most optimal size especially for code (because its visibly distinguishable not too small and not too large soma many levels of code would disappear to the right side of the screen.

P.S.: TAB's allows everybody to view document with indent size they like. Coders who use spaces instead of tabs are selfish bastards because, they are locking everybody else to their tastes.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Tab width may be specified by parameter TabWidth in section [Lister] of wincmd.ini file. So, it is already configurable. :)
You may read more about wincmd.ini parameters in TC help file.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I voted no because it is already configurable - with [Lister]TabWidth= - and configurability seems to be the subject of this poll.

But I can support that it could be configurable via the GUI - I don't think it is such an exotic setting that it couldn't be there.

To Moderators - could one of you please move this thread to the "Total Commander Polls (English)" section ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Post by *Clo »

[mod]Polls are only allowed in the special forum section, thread moved to Total Commander Polls (English)
Clo, moderator[/mod]
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

+ for GUI

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter !

• I also voted “NO”, but I agree that the option should be in the Lister GUI settings…
… but whether THIS SEVEN-MONTH OLD SUGGESTION is considered, because I don't see WHERE such an option could be added… :|

• Please, notice that this option was already planned on the original mock-up ;)

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

It would be nice to be able to change the tabsize setting within the File Compare Tool. Though this is a setting that can be changed in wincmd.ini and doesn't need a restart of TC to take effect.

The converse is not true, trying to change the colors for lister requires a shutdown/restart of TC. And calculating the number TC needs for such is a PITA.

@Clo, I'm pretty sure the Lister Config could be easily changed:
The fields for Text: [81_______] ..... Binary: [75________] take up far more space than they need.

Text: [81__] ... Binary: [75__] ... Tab: [4__]
Even adjusting for other language considerations shouldn't be a problem if the edit box for the numbers are made smaller.
Clo

Add ONE---

Post by *Clo »

2Balderstrom

:) Hello !

• Maybe the option of the current topic could be added via a deep redesign of this dialogue…
… but then ?
- Please, just glance THERE to get a clue of how it's shown in French… :( Narrow font, 8, normal, bigger is impossible.
- For instance, the caption of the Lister plug-ins button must be so shortened that many users didn't find it !
- Moving the Mutimedia options onto another page - opened via a unambiguous named button- would be much more comfortable
and provide room to add future options on each box…
«To govern is to plan» (French proverb…).
- FYI, I'm not the only asking for an enlargement¦improvement of this box for years…
… and I dislike to waste my last years in jobs made for nothing…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Balderstrom wrote:The fields for Text: [81_______] ..... Binary: [75________] take up far more space than they need.

Text: [81__] ... Binary: [75__] ... Tab: [4__]
Even adjusting for other language considerations shouldn't be a problem if the edit box for the numbers are made smaller.
Just do it accurately. Here I draw it for English and Russian: http://imagehost.spark-media.ru/i/5F5AA461-385C-DCDA-8439-0A67723C7C80.png
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

There is also lots of space for that change in Danish: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/listconf.png
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Clo

Ta--ta--ta--

Post by *Clo »

2MVV
2petermad

:) Hello !

• Preaching to make cheeseparing economies will not help in getting a really better GUI by there…
- You simply postpone the issue, it's not solved about any other new needed option to add…
- So, I repeat :  And then ? :roll:

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks.

I voted YES, although I know the wincmd.ini parameter TabWidth and had set it to 4 a very long time ago.
I voted YES, because configuring the tabwidth is not such an exotic action and it should be configurable inside the lister configuration dialogue.

About the question whether or not the current dialogue has got some space left where additional options can be placed: As a T.C. user, I cannot really be bothered to think too much about this question. It is Christian who will determine whether the dialogue box needs resizing, re-arranging or a general redesign.

Kind regards,
Karl
phz

Post by *phz »

Just to add this...

YES for making this configurable

NO for making it default to 4.
8 is a standard tab size and THAT should be default. Defaults should always be most common, best for most uses or standardized values. 8 is defacto standard for tab size but of course you need an option to customize it for viewing code where tabsize of 4 is better.

There could also be automatic tab size adjustments where TC would recognize filetype and adjust tabs to that. For example, 4 for *.cpp, *.php etc. but for example *.txt could be 8. Of course, that too needs to be configurable if implemented.
bugmenot2

Lister Option #7: "UTF-8"

Post by *bugmenot2 »

[Lister]
TabWidth=4

TabWidth parameter does not work when Lister menu option #7: "UTF-8" is selected.
It works only if option #1: "Text Only" is selected.

:( :oops: :x
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

TabWidth parameter does not work when Lister menu option #7: "UTF-8" is selected.
It works only if option #1: "Text Only" is selected.
I canNOT confirm this - here it works the same for both ANSI and UTF-8 files in TC8.0b9 x64 and x86.

This applies to UTF-8 files both with and without BOM.
License #524 (1994)