How often do you try other file managers?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

weekly
1%
monthly
7%
quarterly
14%
yearly
18%
never
50%
other (please specify)
11%

Total votes: 74

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Seeking for average, if you do it irregularly, please use a rough estimate and if you can't just specify 'other'.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How often do you try other file managers?

Post by *karlchen »

On Windows:

From time to time, I check out whether there is a new version of FreeCommander. Tried it several times for pretty short periods of time just in order to return to Total Commander and be happy again. :)

Summary for Windows:
Less often than once a year.

On Ubuntu Linux:

Due to the limitations imposed by Wine, Total Commander cannot be used for all tasks. Therefore, I have to resort to another file manager regularly. Sometimes I use Gnome Commander, sometimes I use Krusader. None of the two has made me switch away from Total Commander on Ubuntu so far.

Summary for Ubuntu Linux:
Once a week at minimum.

Overall summary:

As a rule, I do not give too many competitiors of Total Commander a fair chance. :oops:
File managers not having two file panels (source - target, left - right) do not stand a chance at all of making it onto my disks even. :twisted:
So, in effect the appropriate answer to the poll question will be: every other year.

Karl
--
Total Commander 7.56a on
+ Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, Server 2008 R2
+ Ubuntu 10.04.2 (Lucid Lynx) 32-bit
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I chose "monthly" but... from time to time in real.

Everytime I hear about new filemanager or new version of older one I am checking it... and always coming back to TC :)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How often do you try other file managers?

Post by *m^2 »

karlchen wrote:On Windows:

From time to time, I check out whether there is a new version of FreeCommander. Tried it several times for pretty short periods of time just in order to return to Total Commander and be happy again. :)

Summary for Windows:
Less often than once a year.

On Ubuntu Linux:

Due to the limitations imposed by Wine, Total Commander cannot be used for all tasks. Therefore, I have to resort to another file manager regularly. Sometimes I use Gnome Commander, sometimes I use Krusader. None of the two has made me switch away from Total Commander on Ubuntu so far.

Summary for Ubuntu Linux:
Once a week at minimum.

Overall summary:

As a rule, I do not give too many competitiors of Total Commander a fair chance. :oops:
File managers not having two file panels (source - target, left - right) do not stand a chance at all of making it onto my disks even. :twisted:
So, in effect the appropriate answer to the poll question will be: every other year.

Karl
--
Total Commander 7.56a on
+ Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, Server 2008 R2
+ Ubuntu 10.04.2 (Lucid Lynx) 32-bit
On *nix I suggest Double Commander. I tried it fairly recently and I think that it's the best choice for a TC user.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Every month or so, I'll take a look at the various File Manager's I've tried in the past and see if there's anything new on the horizon. [url=http://www.theutilityfactory.com]FileBoss was interesting, but it had too many quirks and bug-like behaviour - they may or may not of been fixed, after conversing with the developer and waiting 6+ months I gave up on it: very slow development.

Of course just now doing a google search on Boss File Manager, I've come across DiskBoss, which I may have to take a look at when my replacement motherboard arrives this week.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
leolaser

Post by *leolaser »

Every 3-4 years - but nothing has swayed me from TC.
--LL
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Balderstrom wrote:Every month or so, I'll take a look at the various File Manager's I've tried in the past and see if there's anything new on the horizon.
So, what is your list of top ten filemanagers (excluding position no.1, we know it ) :)
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I'll post a review of 10-20 managers later, but
7 honorable mentions:
NexusFile, Risingware Exp+ (Java), AC Browser Plus, FileMatrix (unique, no further development), Frigate3, Unreal Commander, **MeeSoft Commander,
3 Managers that I've tried in the past, and were good (even excellent), but haven't tried lately, and weren't my cup of tea at the time:
FileBoss (x64), SpeedCommander (??), XYPlorer (pricey, almost as much as Dopus)
Avoid at all costs:
--> AB Commander
--> Universal Explorer - one of the worst.
Inadequate:
FreeCommander,
Currently Under Development, and could be interesting if the dev's don't lose interest (very common occurance):
FreeCommanderXE, Cubic Explorer
Never Tried, Never will (for various reasons)
Dopus, Altap
Interesting, but no longer available, and development was glacial or dropped years ago:
Flexigensoft's Accelman35, Ultra Explorer by MustangPeak

** NOTE: Meesoft Commander, is a VERY basic file manager, but it has an excellent quick-view mode, Thumbnail mode and Slideshow. As well Meesoft's Image Analyzer is an excellent (FREE) image editing tool.

Other very basic File Managers, but had at least one or two interesting features (not enough to be used):
2xExplorer, a43, fmedit98, HFT Handy File Tools (very cool virtual folder's with .ini files)
Did not like:
muCommander, Far Manager, xplorer2 (has a x64 version now)
Currently, I find myself using Explorer (Win7) somewhat, with a few Add-On/Extensions. Which puts some of the managers above to shame.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Interesting. For me the top options (TC aside) are Dopus and FAR. Double Commander at distant third. Never tried FileBoss and some smaller ones that you mentioned.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Probably OT but shows what is missing in many (all?) file managers so far:
http://silkwoodsoftware.com/index.html
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

fenix_productions,
Yes, well, we / I keep saying that's the job of a file system.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Hacker wrote:fenix_productions,
...and files management is the job of Operating System ;)

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

fenix_productions wrote:
Hacker wrote:fenix_productions,
...and files management is the job of Operating System ;)
No. File system is a fairly low level stuff and is crucial for most uses. File manager is high level and far less useful; embedded computers usually don't need it, many servers don't need it, cloudbooks don't need it etc.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2m^2
I got the difference but you don't seem to catch the smiley.

The part I don't understand is: why can't file manager offer/handle some kind of tagging system?

TC already supports descript.ion files, has plugin for NTFS streams and dozen of plugins for files properties. All it needs is "little more" steps into information management (i.e. data indexing for search, native virtual FS or... tagging).

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

OK.

TC could do it. Though personally I think this is a bad idea because I agree with Hacker that it's a job of a file system. Though I'm far from sure that Windows will ever implement something like this.