Best development platform for Total Commander?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Continue development on Delphi 64 or Lazarus?

Poll ended at 2012-01-10, 15:14 UTC

New Delphi version (32 and 64 version)
45%
Lazarus (32 and 64 bit version)
35%
New Delphi version for 64 bit, Delphi 2 for 32 bit
5%
Lazarus for 64 bit, Delphi 2 for 32 bit
15%

Total votes: 20

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think users need to know differences between Delphi and Lazarus to find advantages/disadvantages out. :) E.g. to see same project compiled in both Delphi/Lazarus to test it.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

I voted for Lazarus. I think that the 2 best options are to keep both on Delphi or both on Lazarus because of maintenance. Of these 2 Lazarus won because of portability. Soon Windows will have an ARM version too and Embarcadero doesn't support it (though I think I've seen some news that it's 'planned'). And if Christian ever decides to port TC to *nix, Lazarus would make it a bit more straightforward.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Soon Windows will have an ARM version too and Embarcadero doesn't support it
It seems that Lazarus doesn't support that either. The ARM version of Windows will not support any native programs, only "apps" written in .Net, so a TC version will be impossible anyway.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I was really looking forward for the 64bit version, but I've found it to be not very usable due to the Lazarus ControlName limitation: all have to be "Window#". From a programmer's perspective that seems completely ass-backwards and non-intuitive. Further it makes all of my AutoHotkey scripts difficult to maintain or outright impossible to implement.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Soon Windows will have an ARM version too and Embarcadero doesn't support it
It seems that Lazarus doesn't support that either.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Setup_Cross_Compile_For_ARM
It's for Linux.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Windows_CE_Interface
And this one mentions ARM too.
ghisler(Author) wrote:The ARM version of Windows will not support any native programs, only "apps" written in .Net, so a TC version will be impossible anyway.
What a nonsense. They want to use slow CPUs and don't allow devs to optimize for them?
Anyway, interesting to know, Lazarus doesn't have an edge here.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

[offtop]
m^2 wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:The ARM version of Windows will not support any native programs, only "apps" written in .Net, so a TC version will be impossible anyway.
What a nonsense. They want to use slow CPUs and don't allow devs to optimize for them?
Anyway, interesting to know, Lazarus doesn't have an edge here.
Steven Sinofsky wrote:All of the apps for ARM are going to come through the store which means they’re all going to be metro style
That's of course may or may not to be a final statement, things can change before and after Windows 8 final release. But I am sure for ARM version Microsoft will follow Windows Phone way, with few native apps developed by Microsoft with expanded capabilities, and all third party apps will be published exclusively through Windows Phone Marketplace. Such apps will be very restricted (sandboxing; limited APIs) due to security and copyright reasons. And Total Commander limited to its sandbox and, maybe, few shared folders (like Photos, Music etc) just doesn't make sense. That's of course just my point, but I think the trend is clear for modern consumer devices.[/offtop]
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

And Total Commander limited to its sandbox and, maybe, few shared folders (like Photos, Music etc) just doesn't make sense.
That's EXACTLY why I haven't created a Windows Phone app after the end of Windows Mobile, but went to Android.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
vudu

Post by *vudu »

Flint wrote:…and for those who does not want to deal with file system and registry redirection, with missing and/or placed into really slow X64 submenu shell extensions, etc. To me, this is the most significant advantage of the 64-bit TC, and not its "64-bitness" in itself.

That's a pity, MS chose so idiotic method of making 32- and 64-bit applications live together as placing 64-bit DLLs into system32, and 32-bit DLLs into syswow64, with hiding the real file system from the applications, instead of just making a normal system64 dir (like Linux systems do), so that using a native 64-bit application is the only choice for anyone who wants to navigate FS freely, without always trying to remember what's he seeing now — real FS or some virtual substutite, and without necessity to constantly switching the redirection off (to see real files) and back on (to continue working with plugins and other specific functions).
^ What he said.

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 for like two years, and folder remapping and slow 64-bit context menu really started to bother me. Because of this, I switched to 64-bit Total Commander as soon as I heard it exists.

After all, Totalcmd is kind of system tool to me, so it's normal that we use 64-bit app on 64-bit system, no matter there's 0% speed gain because of "64-bitness".

For the topic, I think the author should fully switch to Lazarus (unless there's a major "showstopper" for that).