optional vertical Buttonbar between the file panels: yes/no

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

$What do you think about having a vertical toolbar in TC?

yes, a vertical toolbar would be nice
42%
hm, maybe I'd try it if it were there
17%
no, one toolbar is enough, this would be of no use and/or overload the interface
34%
I don't care
7%

Total votes: 106

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

optional vertical Buttonbar between the file panels: yes/no

Post by *StickyNomad »

I just remembered some other filemanager (don't know which one, sticking to TC for too long) I tested some time ago which had a configurable buttonbar between the two file panels.

In my opinion to have such toolbar in TC could be quite useful and would allow the user to place a great bunch of command icons (if he likes to) in two bars instead of having one extremely wide buttonbar.
The vertical bar would be suitable especially for commands affecting both panels, and it could save some miles for excessive mouse-users, too. But only if it wouldn't slow down the program or blow up the code, of course!

I photoshopped a screenshot of TC and modified it to demonstrate this: View Screenshot

The buttons I placed in the vertical toolbar are (top to bottom):
Show/Hide Tabs, swap panels, vertical view, copy, move, delete, quickview, compare by contents, synchronize directories. These commands are only a suggestion, of course, the Buttons should be customizable and it should be possible to switch the whole bar on/off.

What do you think about this?

:D StickyNomad
Last edited by StickyNomad on 2008-08-22, 07:41 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I am on record elsewhere in the forum with a strong request for a center toolbar. Salamander, DOpus, Magellan Navigator and probably a few others all support configurable center toolbars.

A center toolbar is the shortest mouse distance from either panel.

Please, Mr Ghisler?

Actually, I would wish for a modern toolbar configuration dialog, multiple toolbars, and multiple docking locations (including center), too.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

@JohnFredC:
I am on record elsewhere in the forum with a strong request for a center toolbar.
Oops, is there already a thread about this topic? I searched, but I didn't find anything about that....

Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I think multiple docking locations as JohnFredC mentioned, would be nice. But as an option to hide or unhide the center toolbar it would be a start.

sheepdog
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

As you name this, I see that it could be indeed very useful to have multiple Toolbars, not only the center one. The center was the place I would like to have a toolbar at first, but an option to have multiple Toolbars (maybe each one with an own Properties dialogue to specify the position (top,bott,center,left,right) would be even better.
So after all, one Toolbar in the center would already make working with TC much more customizable, but maybe a multiple-Toolbar option would be nice, too.

:) StickyNomad
Clo

In this way---

Post by *Clo »

2StickyNomad
...but an option to have multiple Toolbars (maybe each one with an own Properties dialogue to specify the position (top,bott,center,left,right) would be even better.
So after all, one Toolbar in the center would already make working with TC much more customizable, but maybe a multiple-Toolbar option would be nice, too.
:)   Hello !
• I agree. A bit in this way, please watch:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2737

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Clo,

hm, interesting idea, too. This could be a nice option for users who don't like Tabs. As for me, Tabs work fine, but your idea could be a useful alternative. If it would be available, I'd definitely give it a chance and check it out, though I think I'd stick to the tabs.

oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

I like the idea, but remember to keep it optional! :)
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2oblomov
I like the idea, but remember to keep it optional!
of course, IMHO too, every additional Toolbar should be able to be turned on/off, just like it works at the moment with toolbar/drivebar/tabs etc.
I have no doubt that Christian Ghisler will go on with this way to handle the toolbars, if he'd implement further ones, too.

djorge

Post by *djorge »

I like TCOM!
DKG

Post by *DKG »

JohnFredC wrote:Actually, I would wish for a modern toolbar configuration dialog, multiple toolbars, and multiple docking locations (including center), too.
I totally agree with JohnFredC, just crate as many toolbars the user needs and place them wherever he wants to.
Nothing fix, long life to the optional!!

Saludos from Argentina...
haya

Vertical toolbar

Post by *haya »

It'll be nice such feature, but the toolbar must have the possibility to be removed or disabled :D :lol:
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

It is popular to trash Microsoft every which way to Sunday, but the MS implementation of toolbar management in the Office products is intuitive, robust, and powerful.

I feel the same way about the toolbar management offered by the Corel products.

On the other hand, when I show a potential user that she can drag a folder to the TC toolbar, then drag files to that toolbar button to re-file them, the look of wonder on her face is most gratifying. Apparently only TC offers such a useful function.

Some combination of the current TC toolbar behavior and configuration plus the MS and Corel approaches in conjunction with "anywhere" toolbar docking (top, bottom, left, right, center, floating, off) would completely answer my needs for toolbars in TC for all time.

The closest I have found to this ideal is the toolbar management offered by DOpus. DOpus is slow(ish), peculiar in many respects that prevent me from recommending it or even using it, but absolutely full of clever user interface ideas. Its toolbar and button management (not to mention the scripting capability) is excellent.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2JohnFredC
...in conjunction with "anywhere" toolbar docking (top, bottom, left, right, center, floating, off) would completely answer my needs for toolbars in TC for all time.
I partially agree. But imho multiple/floating toolbars should be implemented only if program speed and size wouldnt be affected. such a mighty "toolbar engine" as you described it will mean tremendous changing of Code and Interface functionality, so I fear it would blow up and slow down the program. But if I'm wrong and its no big deal in programming, bring 'em in!

And as an addition: if a vertical buttonbar would be available, it should have an 'autohide-Feature' when activating Quickview to have more space for the viewed content.

Greets,
StickyNomad
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Bump up for TC v7.5! ;-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!