skip single file(s) while copying a lot

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What do you think?

I support it
61%
I dont agree
9%
Uninterested
30%

Total votes: 23

Idea

skip single file(s) while copying a lot

Post by *Idea »

Hi all, this is my 2nd article here:

http://i.imgur.com/bsC9J.jpg

You can see 3 well known options on the picture above ("Pause/Start", "Cancel" and "Background"), but my guess that a 4th ("Skip") button would be great thing: for example when you copying many files and/or folders which takes much time because of their size, but you can decrease it with skipping certain files what you think not important actually, without cancelling the whole procedure, so you simply press the new button and the Commander is skip the actual file, then jump to the next one and continue the work.

Opinions are welcome!

-Idea

I use Windows Commander since 1999 and I have an idea

Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

If files to skip are small, then it takes more time to press keys rather than to let it copy. If they are big, you should just think better before selecting files. Further, usually people first start copying, and then begin to do something else - that is, there is no time/possibility to look at the screen to skip something.
But to have some option is better than to not to have one (if its implementation does not take too much code and/or operation speed).
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
Idea

Post by *Idea »

Small files are no problem thats univocal, but you cant select certain files when copying whole directory trees (for example a 6GB folder to a 4GB pendrive), and yes its for unusual cases when you hurry with it and cant wait for all big files or have no time for the special selections (or simply dont want handle).

Idea

Post by *Idea »

Vote please! :wink:

umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

It would be way too easy to make a mistake. It would take some time to realize you want to discard some file, to press the Skip button and for TC to react - there is a good chance you would skip the following file instead of the current one.

You might argue that you intend to use it just for big files or something like that so the above shouldn't be a problem, but other people will find more common usages that will also be more error-prone. Maybe if it only worked while the operation was paused on the file ...
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Idea

Post by *Idea »

Cancel button also has those risks :o

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Idea
In the copy dialog there is a button labeled F2 Queue if you pressed it, the Background Transfer Manager will opened and enable you to skip any file by pressing - button.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ts4242 wrote:2Idea
In the copy dialog there is a button labeled F2 Queue if you pressed it, the Background Transfer Manager will opened and enable you to skip any file by pressing - button.
If you copy one folder there will be only one entry in BTM - this folder :)
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

umbra wrote:Maybe if it only worked while the operation was paused on the file ...
Or ask for confirmation if user really wants to skip this file.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can close source file handle in a tool like Process Explorer to cause a file copy error. :D:D:D
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Idea wrote:Cancel button also has those risks :o
It's not the same. When I press Cancel, I don't really care on which file I pressed it, I will delete/rewrite/... all of them anyway.
Valentino wrote:Or ask for confirmation if user really wants to skip this file.
That might also work.
MVV wrote:You can close source file handle in a tool like Process Explorer to cause a file copy error.
Since you are mentioning some drastic actions, pulling PC's power cord would be even faster than finding that handle (unless you have a notebook, of course). :lol:
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

umbra wrote:Since you are mentioning some drastic actions, pulling PC's power cord would be even faster than finding that handle (unless you have a notebook, of course). :lol:
But your action will break copy process completely while my one will only make TC to show error message with 'skip' and 'retry' buttons. :)
Idea

Post by *Idea »

Yes the Cancel button also asking for confirmation, this one is similar just goes for actual file and not the whole procedure, btw small files are 'skippable' too for example when you copying to a floppy disk :o

Idea

Post by *Idea »

Any chance to see this in the WinCMD 8.5? :o