Feature: user definable commands on lister context menu

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you use this feature (search text in browser from lister context menu)?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 19

SkipR

Feature: user definable commands on lister context menu

Post by *SkipR »

[Update 2014]: Please consider the poll as a vote for a more generic solution of user defined commands on the lister context menu. The following is an example of how it could be used.

EG. Feature: search text in browser from lister context menu

Here is something I would like to have a context menu option in lister window to search the selected text with your default OS browser.

More generally it could be an option "send selection to XX" where the user could define XX as a browser or another program that can takes command line token for the selected text. In other words you:

Config Setup:
In TC lister a new config item where I define a config for program to be launched
"Google search"="http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%s"
"IMDB search"="http://www.imdb.com/find?q=%s"
[OR SOME EQUIVALENT METHOD OF GETTING CONTEXT MENU ITEMS INSERTED]

Usage:
1. select text in TC lister window
2. Right click choose either "send to Google Search" or "send to IMDB search" from context menu

Here is a long example of what made me think about using this.
I have been working on fixing some problems with a PC, so I have TC + " NT Events" FS plugin open on every TC startup. I view the event log error message then have to cut and paste into a browser to do research on what the error is about which is usually start with a Microsoft KB or Google search. It would be more elegant to have a "send to" in the lister.

Example2:
Lister to view torrent file select hash string for a google search.

Does anyone know of a text editor that has a similar "send selection to user-application" feature?
Last edited by SkipR on 2014-01-12, 11:12 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Skip
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I don't know about other editors, but Notepad++ has such feature. You can define your own "Run commands" - either through GUI (Menu->Run->Run...) or directly by modifying "shortcuts.xml" file.
If you are interested, more info here.

As for your suggestion to put such functionality to Lister, I don't know. I wouldn't mind having it, maybe I would even use it from time to time. But it would require a new configuration options in wincmd.ini and possibly in GUI as well.

Edit: Maybe this should be moved to Total Commander Polls forum.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

[mod]Moved from Suggestions forum to Polls forum.

White (moderator)

2SkipR:
You may place a separate post in the suggestions forum and mention this poll.
[/mod]
Last edited by white on 2014-01-12, 13:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It may be good to expand lister selection popup menu with custom commands. Wide-usage feature, not just browser search (who needs browser search will add corresponding items). E.g. parameters may include ones for inserting text or hex stream. Sometimes I miss hex stream copy feature.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like a nice idea, although only 2 people have voted for it so far...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

I voted Yes for expanded version suggested by MVV. As for original request I doubt I would use it.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Answering to the question in the poll, I voted for No: I won't use Internet search from the Lister context menu. However, the idea of generalized (not Internet-search-specific) user-defined commands in this menu looks promising.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks.

I voted yes. A lister right click entry which invokes the default browser and passes the selected string(s) as a search term to the default search engine of the browser would be a convenient feature.

The extended version suggested by MVV would not only be convenient , but it would be luxury pure. - Would be an interesting challenge for me to build up such custom commands in such a way that they will work properly on Ubuntu and Mint.

Cheers,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

If I had to decide, I would vote yes for the extended version (ala Notepad++).
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
SkipR

Post by *SkipR »

MVV wrote:It may be good to expand lister selection popup menu with custom commands. Wide-usage feature, not just browser search (who needs browser search will add corresponding items). E.g. parameters may include ones for inserting text or hex stream. Sometimes I miss hex stream copy feature.
2MVV, a more generic one would be even better than my initial suggestion. :D

Does anyone know if a wlx plugin can be built that implements a context menu. I am guessing the answer is no. I know the torrent.wlx has a MS IE context menu and so is probably using an activeX control - a bad choice for portability WINE+TC.
Skip
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Imagine has context menu.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

FYI it is already implemented in TC 8.50:

Help:

[Lister]
Contextmenu1=Search for selected text with Google|http://www.google.com/search?q=%s

It can also be used with programs and parameters eg:

Contextmenu1=Title|"c:\path with spaces\program.exe" parameters.

Of course it does not work in plugin view, since plugins (can) have their own context menu.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar