Default settings changes: Brackets around folder names

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Display brackets around folder names by default?

Poll ended at 2013-10-01, 06:34 UTC

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 19

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Default settings changes: Brackets around folder names

Post by *Lefteous »

By default TC shows brackets around folder names. Do you think first time users should have this experience?

This is _not_ about
- Removing this setting
- Does it make sense to show brackets at all
- Does it make sense to show brackets in certain environments
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I only know the option Show square brackets [] around directories. What it means, I don't know ;-)
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Even though it means I will have to change one more option for fresh install (I like brackets, or maybe I'm just too used to having them), I think they should go away. Together with bold Microsoft Sans Serif and perhaps other things. Because for completely new users, current default TC must look really strange/wrong.
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

This poll has been done before in 2003 till 2007 (http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1292). Than the result was 56% on by default and 43% off. I am curious if opinions have change since this time.

I still use the brackets display because I want to see more difference in name than just the folder icon. And colors are just not doing it for me.
And mostly I do not notice the brackets because I am used to them. They only annoy me when i use bracket in the folder name.

I would prefer to have bold names for folders and normal font weight for files (like requested here www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=13198 )

I remember there was a thread requesting to have user defined characters, like a \ or / at the end or beginning of the folder name. But I can not find that thread anymore. I would like to try that option. I would have to find out by using it to find out what my preferred display option would be.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

There was an old request where Mr.Ghisler seemed inclined to make the directory display customizable... but alas no.

I've tried a few File Managers that allowed directory displays such as:

\Program Files
\Users
\Windows
ntldr.dll

Which would be my preference for TC.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

So the forum users who voted think the default should be changed. I think the brackets really play an important role in 'TC looks like Windows 3.11'.

What about a change?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Brackers are really useful when icons are disabled completely. With icons there is no need in brackets, and I doubt someone (especially beginner) will disable icons completely.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As they are still there - would you please remove the dir brackets by default in TC 9?

The DirBrackets setting could be expanded to a new state 'show brackets only if icons are hidden' which would be used automcatically when a user hides icons.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This would be a very radical step, even more radical than the font change. With only 19 votes it's a bit risky.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler,
It is only a cosmetic change, not functional one, so it isn't so radical. And this option is available from configuration dialog!