Which elements should be displayed by default?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Button bar
12%
Drive buttons (one bar)
2%
Drive buttons (double bar)
10%
Drive dropdown
8%
Folder tabs
12%
Current path
11%
Buttons for history and directory menu
10%
Column headers
12%
Status bar
12%
Command line
5%
Function key bar
8%

Total votes: 113

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

It's important to show the power of TC to the user right at the start. But there is a downside. It's really crowded which really leads to an overcharge. There must be a reason why TC opens the list of all layout elements at first startup.

So which elements should be displayed at first startup? What is the best way to show the powert of TC without overcharching the user?

Of course more than one answer is allowed!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I use them almost all, so can't help you to minimize number of default items. :) Show two drive bars and hide column headers ('cause I'm using brief view) - the rest of your list is enabled.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Well the question is not 'what do you use'? Instead the questions is which elements would be a good mix for new users?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't think we can hide something. Every item is useful somehow. I would enable two drive button bars by default. Maybe command line may be hidden but user may miss it...
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I don't think TC does a very good job at showing the "power" to a new user. And anyone unfamiliar with TC or it's predecessors will likely be turned off by the awkward Menu organization.

If the idea is to promote and emphasize TC's ability, I would think at least a new-user page in the help-file that might point out things like:
SubDir-Branch-View, Multi-Rename-Tool (ability to edit filenames auto-loaded into an editor). QuickSort/FilterSort, and point out where they are in the GUI.

A number of those horizontal toolbars I never have enabled, as they just waste too much vertical space.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

I wouldn't change anything here. It seems to me that it's either small things that would not make any difference (first-time users simply don't notice them at first) or they are bigger but too important to hide them.