Close standalone "Find files" automatically

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Setting to close standalone "Find files" automatically

Yes, please!
70%
No,,,
30%
Not feasible
No votes

Total votes: 10

BurSH

Close standalone "Find files" automatically

Post by *BurSH »

I have switched using the great new standalone mode for "Find files". After using the feature for a while, one annoying thing is that a lot of standalone "Find files" are often left open in the background. I have to close TC to close all "Find files" windows.

I wonder is it possible to add a setting to close standalone "Find files" window after hitting "go to file" or "feed to listbox"?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have to close TC to close all "Find files" windows.
That doesn't do it - you have to close each instance of "Find files" one by one.

I can support this only as an option, because there can also be good reasons for the user to want to keep the "Find files" windows open.

Perhaps as a binary option where you can choose to either close automatically on "Go to file" = 1, on "Feed to listbox" = 2 or at "TC shutdown = 4 or any multiplum hereof (eg. 7 for all three options)

BTW - this thread should be moved to the Polls section.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

[mod]Moved thread from Suggestions forum to Polls forum.

White (moderator)
[/mod]
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

I support petermad's suggestion. It will be great if mr. Ghisler will implement this useful feature.
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that once you close it, the last search results are gone. with the internal dialog, the results are stored in Total Commander. The only way to keep them in the external dialog is to keep it open.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

IMHO standalone search window may be closed after user has chosen "Go to file" or "Feed to list box"
Last edited by Ovg on 2014-03-02, 17:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
The problem is that once you close it, the last search results are gone. with the internal dialog, the results are stored in Total Commander. The only way to keep them in the external dialog is to keep it open.
Why not let it be up to the user whether (s)he wants the window closed or not, and then make a note in the help file that the search is lost if the window is closed (both manually or automatically)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
BurSH

Post by *BurSH »

I meant exactly what petermat said. It would be great to have an option in the wincmd.ini to configure if user wants to automatically close the standalone find window.

Most often I don't need the search result stored anymore after going to the file. That task is done once I find and open the file. The file is the thing I search for, not the search result.

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is that once you close it, the last search results are gone. with the internal dialog, the results are stored in Total Commander. The only way to keep them in the external dialog is to keep it open.
petermad wrote:2ghisler(Author)
Why not let it be up to the user whether (s)he wants the window closed or not, and then make a note in the help file that the search is lost if the window is closed (both manually or automatically)
Last edited by BurSH on 2014-03-02, 18:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BurSH

Post by *BurSH »

Besides automatically closing the window is closer to what we are used to at the built-in "find files" in the previous versions.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think ot would be useful to have some options to auto-close windows like AutoCloseBackgroundSearch with values: 0 - do not close (like now), 300 (any positive number) - close in 300 seconds (checkbox with counter may be displayed below Help button to allow user to uncheck it to stop counter).