Unsorted mode for Total Commander

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Do you think an unsorted file list for TC would be useful?

Yes
46%
No
5%
Can be useful for some users but not for me
43%
Don't care
5%

Total votes: 37

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Unsorted mode for Total Commander

Post by *pdavit »

An unsorted list of files displays the files in the way data is stored on a media and not based on some criteria like alphabetically or sizewise, for example. An option present on the old Norton Commander if you remember. On the other hand though, defragmentation applications usually rearrange stored data on human-readable form where an unsorted list could actually have been previously sorted based on some criteria.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You mean Ctrl-F7?

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:You mean Ctrl-F7?
Ok! This is really embarrassing! :oops:

I had forgotten the presence of the feature! Someone did put something in my drink while parting the weekend! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sometimes I need this feature. One example, I remembered now: I was creating boot DOS floppy image (and then - diskette itself). Boot floppy disk for DOS must contain files io.sys and msdos.sys placed at the very beginning of the disk. How could I ensure this without Ctrl+F7?..
Of course, this feature is used very rarely, but it is used.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

How could I ensure this without Ctrl+F7?..
Hmm, using the system format dialog? Or maybe format /s a:? Or by copying these two files first and then the rest?

:)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I use this feature very often with my USB MP3 player. It plays the files in the order I uploaded the files. So to see the "playlist" i press Ctrl F7 :-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hacker
Hmm, using the system format dialog? Or maybe format /s a:
I work under WinXP. Its format.exe has not /s option. So the format dialog has no according option.
Or by copying these two files first and then the rest?
First of all, I wrote about checking, not about creating. I know that this methode must work correctly, and I used this methode, but I wanted to check it...
And one more reason - I made this several times, some of them with real floppy diskette, and others - with image file, using the TC's plugin. I don't know how this plugin works, maybe it uses some cache algorithms or something else that will place my files in different order than I copied them.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Flint wrote:
Or by copying these two files first and then the rest?
First of all, I wrote about checking, not about creating.
To check which is the very first file on disk you can use 'debug'.
  1. start debug
  2. type 'l 00 00 00 f0' which means load to memory start 00 from disk 00 (i.e disc a:) bginning with sector 00 F0 (in dezimal 240) sectors
  3. type 'd 2400' wich displays you the first sector of the first file of the disc ( 1.44 Mb)
  4. note the first 6 values
  5. look with [F3] in Hex mode at the IO.sys if the values match
sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sheepdog
Hmmm... Of course I could do it... But do you really think that this methode is more simple than pressing Ctrl+F7? :D
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Flint wrote:Sheepdog
Hmmm... Of course I could do it... But do you really think that this methode is more simple than pressing Ctrl+F7? :D
Of course not but I thought it maybe could be useful if no TC is available. And beside I think it is possible that a file is the first in the directory tree but not the first at the disc.

Neverthless I hope that someone somtime will take profit from this info.
And that way ( to post if you know somthing) you get a power member :wink: :lol:

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sheepdog
Neverthless I hope that someone somtime will take profit from this info.
And that way ( to post if you know somthing) you get a power member
:lol:
In this case I can post one more methode to know the order of the files: just DIR :) By default it outputs file list unsorted. As I think this is the most simple way after Ctrl+F7, and it can also be used when TC does not present.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have my files shown unsorted by default, and I would like an option to set TC not to sort the directories either - and by that I don't mean that dirs should not be sorted (I can set that i Configuration -> Display -> Sorting directories -> Like files - No I mean that the directories also shouldn't be shown at the top of the list, but should be shown where they are placed among the files.

Furthermore, choosing Reverse Order sorting should also work for unsorted files, it doesn't now.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately many functions in TC rely on the fact that directories come before all files, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Ahaaa! - OK I will delete that request from my wish list then.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar