Still use Windows Explorer?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Poll ended at 2015-05-27, 10:34 UTC

Almost Never
86%
I equally use TC and Windows Explorer
14%
Windows Explorer Mostly, TC only occassionally.
No votes

Total votes: 21

Spiderkeys

Post by *Spiderkeys »

I've been wondering here, if people here still use Window Explorer for their File Management needs.

For me, I just don't want to know it, and I forget it's even there, as soon as I install a O/S the first program to be installed is Total Commander before any drivers, etc.

I just cannot work without it, I remember how laggy Windows Explorer is, so limited, and really who could work with the default options without file extensions, and many hidden files, and also the fact it is a Microsoft product.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Sorry, but what should be the benefit of this Poll ?
Of course TC hardcore users are most of the time using TC and not the Explorer.
I even have replaced the Explorer with TC in the registry.
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

I use only Windows taskbar (with lock programs). All another work - in TC.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

Post by *seb- »

on windows: 99% TC
but on linux, i can't use TC all the time yet. maybe 40%. hope i can increase the number ;)
Spiderkeys

Post by *Spiderkeys »

Horst.Epp wrote:
Wow, which value did you change to do that, this would be my final step, I even have TC running at start-up.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Spiderkeys wrote:
Horst.Epp wrote:
Wow, which value did you change to do that, this would be my final step, I even have TC running at start-up.
Here my settings:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
 @="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\open\command]
 @="c:\\tools\\wincmd\\TOTALCMD64.EXE /O "%1""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
 @="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command]
 @="c:\\tools\\wincmd\\TOTALCMD64.EXE /O "%1""

solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

It is obvious that forum members use TC instead of windows explorer. If somebody switch to explorer or more likely to another filemanager, he will leave the forum too. Like many members already did.
j7n

Post by *j7n »

I use the basic Explorer quite often. I like the its "normal" tree view of folders, and the ability to open three or more windows at the same time, which can be arranged on the desktop freely. Most of the time 2 TC panels are enough, but not always. I sometimes use TC together with one open Explorer window if I need to compare the contents of three directories. It helps me that both programs look clearly different: I am able to tell at a glance that I'm on directory C and not A or B.

I also use Explorer from other applications that include commands like "open containing folder for the item". I wouldn't like to have TC switch to that folder instead of opening Explorer, because I think of TC program as my master desktop. It is always open with 2 directories that I need on the first Taskbar slot. Explorer windows, on the other hand, are always floating above the windows of other programs. I accomplish one task in Explorer's folder view and then close it.

I also use Explorer when I need to delete an extremely large number of files. I am aware of the "Explorer-method" of file deletion, but I don't want to go to TC Configuration for the rare cases that I have so many files. Opening the parent directory of the items that need to be deleted is a more organic way to go about it.

I am still with Windows XP primarily. Explorer isn't usually slow, because I don't use almost any shell extensions and built-in thumbnails (shmedia.dll is unregistered). I can see me using Explorer less in the future on NT 6, where the GUI of Explorer has been changed, is no longer "normal", while TC remains mostly the same.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
totaltek

Post by *totaltek »

God no. I know this post is old but IE was always horrible. Moved to Firefox pretty quickly
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

totaltek,
Also it's about Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
lordmmx

Post by *lordmmx »

same as in case of IE. I use windows explorer to navigate to my fileserver and install TC...
i486dx2/66mhz , 16mb ram, 2mb vram, windows 95, tc9 beta, 800x600 svga monitor.
clifford_cooley

Re: Still use Windows Explorer?

Post by *clifford_cooley »

I've never used Windows Explorer. Just as soon as I installed Windows 95, I was furious. When I found the side-by-side window of "File Manager" had been merged into one window, I went on a search for something else. That is when I discovered Windows Commander. To be honest I'm surprised it took Microsoft so long to complain about the name. Anyway I've been using Total Commander through the life of Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, and now 10.
License #116347
KC_

Post by *KC_ »

thought this was a recent thread, until I checked on the year it was posted. 4 years, how time flies by. I only use windows explorer for mabye 0.01% of the time.
# 251045
Total Commander 10.5 64bit
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2KC_
# 251045
Total Commander 9.5
Hmm, latest Total Commander version is 9.22a :shock: :wink:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar