Your name on the title bar!

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What's your thought over having your name displayed on TC's title bar?

- I like it and I don't want to see any change whatsoever!
14%
- I don't like it at all; get rid of it!
16%
- The best approach is to make it optional/configurable.
47%
- I'm not a fan but I respect and understand the licensing implications.
9%
- I don't really care to be honest!
13%
- Other (please make a post)
1%

Total votes: 367

Hacker

Re: Your name on the title bar!

Post by *Hacker »

Perplexer,
Here is a short AHK script that replaces your name in the title bar to anything you want, by default to Perplexer. It updates the title bar regularly, by default every second.

Code: Select all

#Persistent
#NoEnv

; Change the following two lines as desired
AppendTitleBarText = Perplexer
UpdateFrequencyInMs = 1000

WinGetTitle, TcTitleBarWithoutNameText, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
TcTitleBarWithoutNameText := SubStr(TcTitleBarWithoutNameText, 1, InStr(TcTitleBarWithoutNameText, " - ") + 2)

SetTimer, ChangeTCTitle, %UpdateFrequencyInMs%

ChangeTCTitle:
	WinSetTitle, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD, , %TcTitleBarWithoutNameText%%AppendTitleBarText%
Return
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
clifford_cooley

Post by *clifford_cooley »

I personally like having my name on the title bar. I'm not ashamed of showing registration ownership.
License #116347
clifford_cooley

Post by *clifford_cooley »

Hacker wrote: 2018-09-13, 21:29 UTC Perplexer,
Here is a short AHK script that replaces your name in the title bar to anything you want, by default to Perplexer. It updates the title bar regularly, by default every second.
So if someone wanted, they could program the system date and time into the title bar. lol
License #116347
p0k3m0n

Post by *p0k3m0n »

When it will be fixed? Actual situation is completely inconsistent with GDPR. It is real problem in our company.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

p0k3m0n wrote: 2019-08-02, 08:18 UTC Actual situation is completely inconsistent with GDPR. It is real problem in our company.
Why that? Others should not know your name? I guess they already do :wink:

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

p0k3m0n wrote: 2019-08-02, 08:18 UTC When it will be fixed? Actual situation is completely inconsistent with GDPR. It is real problem in our company.
There is nothing in the GDPR which doesn't allow a program on your PC to show your name.
Absolute nothing.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
p0k3m0n

Post by *p0k3m0n »

"There is nothing" - ye, right. You must say it to our legal department in headquarters on Isle of Man.

"Why that? Others should not know your name?" - exactly. It is sensitive data.
iG0R

Post by *iG0R »

Still waiting when will make displaying your name optional.
gewone

Post by *gewone »

iG0R wrote: 2020-01-09, 20:36 UTC Still waiting when will make displaying your name optional.
+1

The presence of license registration name in the program title bar should indeed be optional, IMHO!
Are there any ongoing discussions about this at all, or are we likely to not see any change in the related future?
HighDiver

Post by *HighDiver »

I recently got burned by this "feature" which presents a significant privacy risk to registered TC users.

If you ever include a screenshot in a forum/social media post, then you have to make sure that TC is closed or risk having your real name revealed - perhaps not such a big concern to those with very common names like "John Smith" but if you have a distinctive or unusual one, there is a much higher chance that other viewers could identify your off-line identity.

In my case, it was a screenshot of security software that listed open windows, their titles and window types. All too easy then to overlook TC with its user-betraying window-title. :(

Another example where this feature could result in user disclosure is with anti-cheat or similar software that scans and reports on window titlebars - Blizzards' Warden being an early example.

Now there are clearly users here who are quite happy posting under their real name and showing their details to all and sundry. However, the more prudent will be aware of the need to separate their online and off-line (real-life) identities for the simple reason that it prevents Internet trolls and other undesirables from taking their abuse into the real world. In some cases (reporters, civil rights activists) reckless disclose of their real identity could pose a risk to their life or liberty.

As such, I would like to join those calling for the removal of this feature. It offers no benefit for the risks it imposes on users.
Ansive

Post by *Ansive »

So, I've been using TCMD for maybe over 10 years.
The whole name in the title bar stopped me from getting a license.
The FAQ mentions:
Q: Is it possible to register to an imaginary name?
A: As licence name we can only accept full names of individuals or companies / institutions. If we receive a strange or insufficient name, we reserve the right to decline or change it.
So, if I provide all my user info but select "register to Company".
Can I use a fictional name for the company?
Like, an online handle, or, at the very least an online handle + a company suffix. And would the handle need to be a valid for the country I am in?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legal_entity_types_by_country
rilley

Post by *rilley »

I am also interested into changing the name from the title-bar (as I registered a long time ago) I would like to change it from wincmd.ini for example, without using other exe running, or crack that alter the TOTALCMD.exe file (I normally update the TC regularly, now I am at version 10.00) and I use it under WINE (Crossover on Macbook). Is there any simple solution? Like changing something in LNG or MNU files?

*it is a matter of GDPR issue..
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2rilley
You can just remove the WINCMD.KEY from TC's program directory - Then TC will show NOT REGISTERED in the title bar, and you will be met by the splash screen.

Or you can order a new WINCMD.KEY file with a non disclosing name.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AGlezB

Post by *AGlezB »

petermad wrote: 2021-12-07, 21:57 UTC Or you can order a new WINCMD.KEY file with a non disclosing name.
I tried doing just that and the most I got--after arguing my reasons with Ghisler himself--was having just the initial for my name and second lastname. The full lastname still lives in my title bar.
AGlezB

Post by *AGlezB »

I payed for TC because I believe in supporting good software and not because of a little 30 day warning.

As far as my experience goes--I'm a full time software developer--you can group people in a few very distinct categories:
1. Will pay even if pirated versions are available (best case)
2. Will pay but only if pirated versions are not available
3. Will not pay but will use a pirated version if available (worst case)
4. Will not pay and will not use pirated versions

Depending on where you are the distribution of people between those groups will change. US and UK are more likely to have a majority in groups #1 and #4. In Cuba--where I was born, raised and lived until a few years ago--everyone will use pirated versions even if the have the means to pay, giving the vast majority to group #3.

Group #2 is mostly reserved for small businesses and people working in environments with budget constraints. They *need* the software but can't afford it yet. People in this group will move to group #1 as their situacion improves because they can take advantage of the other benefits of the license, i.e. customer support.

Studies, i.e. from music and film industries, usually speak of millions lost to piracy, ignoring the fact that the majority of people resorting to piracy were not going to pay in the first place (group #3). The same applies to software.

IMO devoting any kind of effort to anti-piracy measures is a waste of time because it will only affect a subset of group #2, which is very small.
This is supported by the fact the OSS is alive an thriving.