Your name on the title bar!

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What's your thought over having your name displayed on TC's title bar?

- I like it and I don't want to see any change whatsoever!
14%
- I don't like it at all; get rid of it!
16%
- The best approach is to make it optional/configurable.
47%
- I'm not a fan but I respect and understand the licensing implications.
9%
- I don't really care to be honest!
13%
- Other (please make a post)
1%

Total votes: 367

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Your name on the title bar!

Post by *pdavit »

More passionate discussions, information and "workarounds" here:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2718

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=4288

Concerning the presence of the name and software registration.

I think that someone won’t be willing to have a software (illegally) registered if the name of another user is constantly shown. That side of the coin proves that Christian’s approach is working. On the other hand this approach increases hacking primarily on the production side and secondary on the “demand” side.

Now, flipping the coin and making the name non-visible on the title bar will increase the number of unregistered users that are willing to have the software registered on another name but not directly visible. This behaviour will also though reduce the popularity of having a crack available but at the same time will mean that the number of registered users that became willing to pass on their key file has increased.

But sharing cannot really happen, at least widely in the current situation. That is because here we don’t have a serial key that someone could easily pass on to a “well-trusted” friend but actually we have sharing of personal details along with the registration details. When you buy packaged software from a retailer you don’t necessarily pass on your personal details. A box containing a serial for registration can be picked up by anyone in a shop and you don’t have to give any details at the check-up counter.

The crucial bit is here. Presuming that displaying the name on the title bar is becoming optional, and at the same time having unwilling registered users in sharing their key due to the inclusion of personal detail, only means that users going after illegal registration will again start looking for a crack.

So the success of Total Commander’s registration method is not the display of the registered user’s name on the title bar but the fact that the registration key file holds personal details. Having said that, a successful registration scheme only means that crackers are “pushed” to keep cracking. It’s the excitement and challenge you see.

Note: The aforementioned is my personal opinion on the subject and is not based on statistics. There is no real way in proving my thoughts and ideas if someone hasn’t firstly observed both situations (presence, and non-presence of the name in the title bar). This is not practical and probably will never happen. Having said that, techniques followed to protect a software are based on years and years of research. So, please, consider the above as MY only best way to explain the issue and not as the ONLY right way to be explained. Get well informed from the two available threads in this forum but basically answer with your heart and what your heart tell you it’s right!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

This tool can be interesting for people who don't like to see their names in the title bar of TC.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

djk wrote:This tool can be interesting for people who don't like to see their names in the title bar of TC.
Yes, it's like going from Paris to London via New York! ;) :P :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

pdavit wrote:
djk wrote:This tool can be interesting for people who don't like to see their names in the title bar of TC.
Yes, it's like going from Paris to London via New York! ;) :P :D
You are right, maybe it's not the shortest connection but... it works (and how many new TC users with laptops you can meet at the planes and airports) :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
DarkKnight

Post by *DarkKnight »

I am the one who voted Other

I don't care if my name is visible or not, but I (someone who loves tabs but someone who still uses sometimes more than one instance of TC) would like to see an information of the open windows (active two tabs) in the title bar. That would give me the possibility to identify the wanted instance of TC.
Additinally different colors of the disc icon whould be nice too ;-)
Led

Post by *Led »

Try TotalCamper
It can show different information in the caption
http://wincmd.ru/download.php?id=totalcamper
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

Try TotalCamper
It can show different information in the caption
Unfortunately TotalCamper is in russian.
Sorry, but there are too many non russian speaking TC users, therefore we cannot use this utility.

:evil:
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
michaelyeah

Post by *michaelyeah »

yep, it's definitly a terrific tool.
To Be or Not To Be, It's a Question!
Led

Post by *Led »

lzvk25 wrote:Unfortunately TotalCamper is in russian.
Sorry, but there are too many non russian speaking TC users, therefore we cannot use this utility.
I have version 1.8.2 and it has an english inteface.
Nevel

Post by *Nevel »

What's far more important to me (and probably to any TC user who's serious about privacy), is the user address being shown in the about screen.

I'm not going anywhere without TC ;), so I installed it on my main USB drive. When I use my license and the USB drive gets lost, anyone who might find it, could see not only my name, but also my home address (since I bought the license myself, instead of my company).

Naturally, I do encrypt my USB drives (TrueCrypt rules!), but I'd like to keep TC on the non encrypted section of my drive. Which basically leaves three choices:
1. Use the license (security risk)
2. Use a crack (definitely not an option)
3. Use no license at all (probably not even allowed since you need to register TC after 30 days)
4. Sending a mail to mr. Ghisler, requesting a modified/more discreet license

Haven't tried option 4 yet, might give it a shot.
What's in a signature?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

5. buy an license but don't take the .key file with you.
ND

Post by *ND »

I chose Other (please make a post).
I like the name-in-titlebar feature, though I only use the key at home and don't carry it with me on the USB stick.
What I don't like is the encoding: my name is spelled with "ă" (a-breve) not "a", but that's not what I see in the titlebar. According to an email I got from C. Ghisler, the database of users is in ANSI and the license is based on that...
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
Nevel

Post by *Nevel »

@Stefan2: I'm afraid option 5 is no option. Wouldn't it be illegal to use TC longer than a certain period of time without buying a license (perhaps I"m mistaken)?

By the way, it would be a shame to let the nag screen in place when you actually own a license.

Ah well...
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

An additional information for USB users would be fine:
TotalCommander@U3 for U3 or TotalCommander@USB for USB users.
It helps also, if you run different instances from different drives (HD and USB).

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
pcitrus

Post by *pcitrus »

it doesn't give you any useful info by displaying the name on the title bar
BTW, does it display any name? If so, I never notice it